cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

5Ghz wifi drops out

ianfirth99
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I am a recently new customer to Talk Talk and my 5Ghz wifi keeps dropping after a day or so and requires a router reboot.

The 2.4Ghz wifi is always on.

From the router dashboard the 5Ghz says it is on but doesn't appear on any devices as available.

I have seen similar posts on this subject and any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in Advance

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Hi @ianfirth99 

No that is fine, it was only if it was up at around 140 or higher that would concern me.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hello again Keith

2.4Ghz is on channel 6

5Ghz is on channel 44

I'm happy to drop that down from 44, based on your comment, or change it to AUTO to see if that helps

I will take your advice on that

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

There is a bug in V174 that if you disable any wifi band, it does not start working again when re-enabled, even though the router's GUI shows it as enabled. The only workaround is to factory reset the router. I have raised this with TalkTalk and hopefully, it will be resolved in the next version. There is no exact date for this release though. However, it sounds like you have already discovered this.

What 5GHz channel does the router show that it is using, as sometimes after a factory reset it uses a high channel number that some devices will not support?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi Keith

My Router is:

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 2
version SG4K100174

I have a couple of NAS drives and a Phillips HUE lighting bridge which are wired connections and which have no issues.

The 2.4Ghz wifi is always up but the 5Ghz drops even though it shows as enabled in the router browser.

Disabling the 5Ghz and re-enabling at this point does nothing. Only a full router power cycle or reboot brings the 5Ghz back.

Thanks for the quick reply

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

I can help a lot with all WiFi issues.  If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes