cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

5ghz problem

Fatal_Data
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

This is a strange one, normally i can fix issues myself as i build my own computers and i'm pretty confident with tech, but this has got me stumped. 

The 5ghz band on my talktalk router seems to have a mind of its own lately after working perfectly for years. First the 5ghz on my pc wifi wouldnt connect at all, then i'd get a connection but with only 3mbps download, then it would break completely again. 5ghz on my partners phone wont work at all, and on my sons pc he only gets 3mbps over 5ghz as well, but on my phone it works fine with full download speed.

So anyway, i fitted a new wifi card into my pc and the 5ghz band worked perfectly again on my pc for a few days, but now its back to either not working at all (and the 5ghz network crashing completely and disappearing from the available networks list when i try to connect to any website), or giving me between 3 and 6mbps when it does work. The 2.4ghz band has always worked perfectly on all devices and still does, but with all devices using the same band its getting a bit crowded.

Crazy stuff, and i'm at a loss about what could be causing it. Rebooting the router doesnt help at all, and after logging into the router all the settings looked fine. None of the devices have been moved further away from the router, and the router is still in the same spot its always been in. 

Please help

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Morning Fatal_Data

Ok no problem.

If there is anything else we can help with then please let us know.

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

No thank you, I should be able to manage ok now. Thanks again for all your help

Message 3 of 18

Hi Fatal_Data

Ok don't worry.

We have a Community Star who provides great advice on helping to improve wireless performance. Would you like me to ask Keith to help?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

No I didn't, but it's all sealed up in it's return bag and ready to be collected now. I can't unseal the return bag without ruining it

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi Fatal_Data

Did you try factory resetting the new router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi Debbie, yes there was, especially on my PC, it went from not connecting to the 5GHz band or only getting 3Mbps download speed. To a great connection with high 40s to low 50s download speed. The 2.4GHz band still gives 65Mbps on all devices though, and there's 2 devices that just won't connect to the 5GHz band no matter what we try, almost like they're being blocked at a firewall level, even though everything looks ok in the router settings. I think there was something wrong with the replacement router though, because I was only getting one bar of signal strength from it and the connection speed was terrible. I'm not complaining though, I'm grateful for your help and I'm happy to leave things as they are now. I've packed the replacement router back up and I've booked a collection for tomorrow for it

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi Fatal_Data

I'm sorry to hear this.

Was there any improvement when the WIFI optimisation was switched off? (a few days ago)

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

The new router arrived today, i swapped it for the old router, entered the new password onto all my devices, seperated the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, and it was even worse than my current one unforunately. Signal strength reduced dramatically , 2.4GHz on all devices was slower, 5GHz wouldnt connect at all on some devices (one of which was my pc which was connecting ok until i swapped routers), and on the ones it would connect to i was only getting between 7 and 10 Gbps download speed when normally its 65Gbps. I'll box the new router up again and return it asap, thanks for the help but it looks like my wifi issue is going to remain a mystery. I'm grateful for the help you've given me already, as i said in a previous post it did improve my 5GHz band somewhat

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi Fatal_Data

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 10 of 18

Sure, that would be great, thank you

Message 11 of 18

Hi Fatal_Data

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing so we can rule out any potential issues with your current router?

Message 12 of 18

HI, and thanks for your help. The 5ghz connection between my pc and the router is now better but not giving the speeds that the 2.4ghz band is, but my sons pc now cant connect to the 5ghz band at all and my partners phone still wont connect to it either. We have 2 tablets that connect ok to the 5ghz band albeit at slower speeds. The 2.4ghz band is still perfect on all devices and provides faster speeds than the 5ghz band does

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi Fatal_Data

Sorry for the delay.

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 14 of 18

You must be psychic, i did it just before you replied. I stumbled on it by accident on my profile page. Thanks for the heads up though, i appreciate the help

Message 15 of 18

Yes - they should be able to help you, @Fatal_Data.

Leave it switched on and they'll confirm when it has been done next week. 

Meanwhile ensure that you have added your Talktalk landline number  / account number to your personal information in your community profile, as staff need this to identify your account. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings. SAVE CHANGES. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Fatal_Data
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

Hi and thanks for the info. The label on the back of the router says 'Device Version - FAST 5364-3.T8', I hope that helps

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Which router is it, @Fatal_Data?

Staff can switch off wi-fi optimisation, once they pick up your thread after the weekend. 

It needs to be requested after a factory reset of the router or firmware upgrade.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes