cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Billion 8800NL

TangoM
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

I have an old Billion 8800NL router which I used on ADSL to good effect but have since upgraded to Fibre. I tried to connect it to the internet to compare to my TT DG8041 (which it outperformed on ADSL) but was unsuccessful in spite of following both the Billion and TT's non-TT router settings instructions. Is there anyone else out there using a Billion 8800NL router on vDSL and if so what settings do you use.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how your connection has been over the last week?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

No problem 🙂 We'll check back in with you next week just to make sure that everything has remained good.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 3 of 16

OK thanks. I will give it a few weeks then return the old one assuming the new router settles down OK.

Message 4 of 16

Good afternoon,

Really glad to hear this and thanks for letting us know 🙂 It should be ok to keep hold of both routers for a few weeks, but one of the routers would need to be returned to us to avoid a router equipment charge.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 5 of 16

@Debbie-TalkTalk 

Hi

Update...

I received the new router this morning (<24 hours since we spoke 👍) and installed it. It synced at about 71Mbps which is a significant increase on the DG8041 which was on about 60. I have run some speed tests and found that anything on 5GHz  will run  at about 63Mbps and anything on 2.4Ghz at about 56, which is certainly better than before, and the early conclusion must be that the new router has solved whatever problem there was before.  I will now leave it on and see what happens. Nonetheless I would like to keep the old router as a back up for the time being, so wondered how long I have got before it has to be returned., so could you advise on that. And again thanks for your help so far.  

Message 6 of 16

Hi TangoM

No problem 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection/speed compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 7 of 16

@Debbie-TalkTalk 

Yes a trial on a new router would be good. Please arrange to send me one. Thanks for the offer. 👌

Message 8 of 16

Hi TangoM

The sync speed is closer to the predicted range for the line. Would you like me to send a new router too just to see how the connection speed compares?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Correction Sorry the firm ware is v1.05 NOT v1.06

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

Speed test results (in order).....

Phone Wifi 5GHz 49.6, 55.3, 46.0

Laptop Wifi 2.4Ghz 54.4, 53.4, 52.7

Laptop Ethernet 53.7, 52.7, 53.5

Tablet 5Ghz 55.9, 55.5, 56.0

Router Sync now 59.97 (slightly up)

My DG8041 router is plugged directly into the BT box. The firmware is v1.06

The connection has been stable since the upgrade was switched in

What do you think?

Thanks again

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi TangoM

Thanks for confirming your details.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 73 and 66.2mb, and with a guaranteed minimum speed of 59.6mb. Your line is in sync at 59mb.

Please can you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Thnaks again. Hopefully actioned.

Message 13 of 16

Hi TangoM

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check the predicted speed range for your line. We can also discuss sending you a replacement router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

Thanks for quick reply. I did that, trying to match my Billion settings with recommended TT advice and also found another post on the PlusNet site where someone had also had changed corresponding settings. Sadly it didn't work for me. 

Anyway the reason I am doing this is that I am 5 days into the transition from Fibre 35 to Fibre 65 having recently taken on an upgrade contract, and whereas I could get 40Mbs before with Fibre 35, the recent periodic nightly sync changes at the exchange (now on 59Mbps) aren't making a great deal of difference to my speed at the router, which is currently just above the guaranteed minimum of 49Mbps. I have also checked for line faults and there are non. Perhaps I should wait until the bedding in period has finished and then see where I am and if still not up to where I should be i.e. upwards of 57Mbps or thereabouts ask for another router to try. What do you think?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16
0 Likes