cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Connecting a Netgear router via a TP Link modem

Airfix1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

For nearly 2 years I've used the Netgear SXS30B3 Orbi Pro Wifi 6 Mini mesh system, connected to a TP Link Archer VR2800 modem router. I have had a double NAT configuration, however it hasn't caused any difficulties until recently when I've wanted to set up a VPN server which has required port forwarding.

To stop the double NAT problem, I've put the TP Link router into bridge mode by deleting its regular interface and adding a bridge interface, and from what I can see, it works fine and acknowledges that it is in bridge mode.

The problem I'm facing is that the Netgear router can't find the internet connection in the setup wizard, and as such has a constant magenta light and no internet connection.

According to TalkTalk, under their guide for setting up a non-TalkTalk router, no authentication details are needed for Fibre connections, which is true and wasn't needed when setting up the connection on the TP Link router, however there are some specified values for the transfer mode, VLAN ID, MTU and authentication that I can't seem to find in the settings for the Netgear router, which could perhaps be the reason that the internet connection isn't working. If that's the case, would that also be the reason it isn't being found in the setup wizard?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing any ideas you may have.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

bigkenny
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 4

can you put the 2nd router into AP mode that will help. I run a total of 3 router/modems on my connection. 1 is my main gateway/router/modem that is setup to work as normal on my FTTC connection and its connected to two more TP-Link routers (TP-Link Archer AX50) by cat cable these other routers are set in AP mode and this stops all double NAT problems

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

Hi @Airfix1 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. Putting this TP-Link product if connected directly to your fibre into bridge mode is totally wrong. If anything it needs to be in modem mode. In bridge mode, you are disabling all router functions making it impossible to router from its private IP network to the public one of the internet.

Double NAT is hardly a problem if both routers have the capability. Make sure the IP address of the Netgear and the one for the VPN server are at least DHCP reserved IP addresses. Next, create a port forwarding rule on the TP-Link for the relevant TCP or UDP ports required by the VPN server and point it to the IP address of your Netgear. Then in the Netgear create another rule for the port coming in from its WAN interface and send it to the IP address of the VPN server. In the VPN server create the necessary rules in any firewall on that device to allow these ports through.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 3 of 4

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you may be able to offer advice on?

Thanks

Michelle