cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Constant disconnections whilst uploading Video to my Drive Account

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

This evening I was attempting to upload a 0.9GB Video to my "Drive" account and have been bugged by constant "You are Offline" messages, 4 or 5 in the space of a supposedly 9 minute upload.

This doesn't just affect that particular traffic, it is a global disconnection, NOTHING works!

This is not "Faster Fibre" or even Fibre 65 which I am supposedly paying for the privilege of receiving.

The screenshot below evidences that I am also supposedly also being treated to a mobile connection (albeit with a technical problem!)

Am I paying for that??

I have in fact no such thing, my mobile account is with Tesco Mobile and has been since 2012

Steamywee_1-1687909565401.jpeg

Running a health check on the connection, I'm told that you are having a problem with your network, which is causing problems with my phone! :-

Steamywee_2-1687909955341.jpeg

Absolute fantasy, the phone is working fine, the internet however is up and down like a Bride's Nightie. when ever I attempt to upload Video files to my "Drive account.

Why is this? 

Yesterday evening, 26th June, every "Smart" device in my home was offline for some reason and when I finally coaxed my router into re-establishing contact with them all, I find that one smart socket seems to have passed away during this outage.

Just what is going on? 

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 16

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk Your instructions noted and also printed off the linked page you gave me.

I'll try changing the Routers over later and report back.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi

here are some instructions for changing the wifi details of your router.

Change your Wi-Fi network name

Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 to go to the router admin page

1. Login with your router username and password. You’ll find these on the sticker underneath the removable settings card on back of your Wi-Fi Hub
  2. On the Dashboard page, click the See Wi-Fi settings button
  3. Then click Change network name. A new window will open
  4. Type your new Wi-Fi network name into the text box
  5. When you’re happy, click the Save Wi-Fi name button

Change your Wi-Fi password

1. Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1 to go to the router admin page
  2. Login with the router username and password on the back of your Wi-Fi Hub
  3. Click the See Wi-Fi settings button on the Dashboard page
  4. Now click Change Wi-Fi password
  5. Type your new Wi-Fi password into the text box when the window pops up
  6. Enter your new Wi-Fi password again to confirm your changes
  7. Click the Save Wi-Fi password button to finish

These details can be found in our article : 

How do I view or change my Wi-Fi name and password... - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 16

@Debbie-TalkTalk Thanks for doing that, The router arrived Friday afternoon but I have not yet done anything with it as I was scared that I might end up with no Internet connection!

I really need some guidance as mentioned in my post #10 before attempting the swap!

Thursday night (I think) I experienced yet another loss of all my "smart stuff" and had to do a re-boot of the router (HG635) to coax them to re-establish contact.

Yet another Smart Plug unit "Died" due to the stress of being cut adrift, I seem to be losing one device with each occurrence of these outages, averaging a tenner a time! 😪

Can you give me step by step instruction?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi Steamywee

I've ordered the replacement router for testing (Sagemcom WIFI hub)

Please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive. Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 16

@Michelle-TalkTalk just let me know if you want me to send you the recording I made of this disconnection occurring when I again tried to upload the file at 13:30 today.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 16

I doubt you have had chance to read my last post before sending this one, but yes, maybe a new router would be the answer.

What about the nightmare of all my connected "Stuff"?

I have heard that it's possible to change the SSID of a new router to be the same as the old one so that Smart (and not so smart) stuff won't know there's been a change!

As long as that can be explained to me, it sounds like a plan!

Do you want to see the GameBar recording?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 16

More cross posts!

I don't keep a diary, and can only say that I expect this kind of disruption if I am attempting to upload video clips in excess of 15-20 minutes length.

I don't have a wired connection, never have in 20 odd years of internet use however the router and the main PC are in the same room, separated by about 20 feet.

I don't have any cable that would cover that distance even as the crow flies for a temporary trial.

For a permanent solution, the cable would need to be more than twice that length to skirt the edges of the room, so that's out.

Regarding the time of day, it is usually late evening, 9 to midnight/1am that I upload such clips.

regarding testing, each outage may last 1-2mins and despite the router lights flashing as if something is happening, my PC is totally disconnected from the internet. so it is impossible to run speed tests whilst that is happening.

I use "Speedtest.net" for these tests, and for many years my chosen server was "XILO" for comparisons.

Since they ceased to host the service, I changed to "Iomart" last July.

Here's todays test

Steamywee_0-1687952579181.png

As you can see the connection seems pretty constant, both ways, download being a bit more erratic! 

Steamywee_1-1687952834518.png

Steamywee_2-1687952856371.png

Just repeated the Upload again and it stopped twice before I gave it up. During one such outage, I switched tabs to YouTube and selected a video, it attempted to load it and stopped, switching back to the Drive tab to see if the upload was still "off Line", which it was, I switched back to YT to find them saying the same, Off Line.

I have a MS Game Bar recording of this which I could let you have privately. (not sure what "sharp eyes" could glean from the surrounding view!)

Just reading your email which indicates you have posted whilst I'm doing this, My router is a Huawei HG635 Hardware Version: G 1.01

From Long, long ago is my best guess at it's age! 🤣

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi,

If it still happening then please let us know and we can look into this further. How long have you had the current router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 16

@Michelle-TalkTalk   Cross posted!

As I said in the first post, on the 26th, since all my smart stuff failed, I had to power down the router for some time to re-establish contact with most of them.

However the shock of finding itself alone in the world proved too much for one poor smart socket, and it died.

Your fault, ...TalkTalk killed my socket!

I shall try uploading the same file again and see what happens before risking the death of more of my flock of smart stuff!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Hello,

How often would you say that this happens? Does this happen both wired and wireless? If you run a speed test when this happens does the speed test complete? Does it seem worse at certain times of the day?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk as I say, this is not an isolated occurrence, it happens most times that I am uploading video files to "Drive".

Whilst I can understand that ongoing work may interfere with uploading I doubt you can blame engineering work every time this happens.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Good afternoon,

I've re-checked and the planned engineering works have now been completed. I've run a test on the line which is clear and the stats also look good. Would you mind retesting to see how the connection now compares since the engineering works have completed. If there is no change then could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest again please as this will reset the current session.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see that there is planned engineering work currently ongoing at the moment so I will check this again this afternoon and run a line test as soon as this has completed as this could be affecting your connection.

Thanks

0 Likes