cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Disconnections since 25th January

Franco_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 105 of 105

Hey,

Firstly - I'm having to use the account holders community account to start this thread as you seem to have deleted mine even though I can see my posts.  So I'm not the account holder, just the one who sorts the tech issues in the house.

The setup.

Wifi hub (not black) connected by master socket.  All devices except one on wifi, the other one is wired directly into the router with Cat6 (no power lines used).

The issue.

Random disconnections of the internet. Router reconnects syncing at different speeds.  Prior to thursday I'd sync around 50mbps, now it's between 45mbps and 30mbps after it disconnects

What's been tried.

New filter via test socket.

Engineer visit - swapping master socket filter, faceplate and cable connecting to router

Engineer couldn't see any issues, when testing.  Noted that the line was capable of 55mbps while the router was syncing below 45mbps so requested a new router from you guys.

New router (wifi hub black) arrived, connected.

Issues persist.

The events.

I contacted TT via Twitter DM.  Initially told that there was no line issue and the test were fine.  I was informed it was a WiFi issue.  I replied I have wired devices and it's the router losing connection.  I was again informed it was a WiFi issue.  I again replied that I have Cat6 wired into the router, it's not a WiFi issue.  A different agent asked me to explain the Cat6, so I did.  I was again informed it was a WiFi issue, i again sent the I'm wired, that it's not a WiFi issue, and sent photos of the router logs. They told me that sorting the WiFi issue solve the problem.  I sent more photos and said it wasn't a WiFi issue - then I hear nothing.

I reported more disconnections the next day, the agent (different one) did more line checks and noted there was a fault on the line, they arranged for an engineer.

Engineer came (openreach) and found no issues in the cab or the house. They replaced the integrated microfilter on my master socket, and if i recall correctly, changed the faceplate too as well as supplying a new cable to connect to the router. They noted the speed discrepancy between the router and their equipment and requested a new router.

More disconnections followed that evening/night.

Today, the new router arrived (WiFi hub black), I've installed it and we've had more disconnections.

Currently talking on twitter again, and they're booking an engineer again.

Why am I posting this?

I've had to restart the conversation on twitter multiple times, I don't know if the agents don't have access to the full conversation or what, but I've been asked the same questions a fair few times.  I started this in the hope that I may get help here.

I'm also being informed that if the engineer comes and finds no faults we'll be charged £75.  Considering Openreach has come and found no faults in the home or the cab, this feel like I'm being put in a position where I'll be charged and not have the issue resolved. Presumably the bill payer has been charged for the Openreach visit.

Many thanks

Rob_B

Edit: Engineer booked, no clue as to if we're being charged or not to be honest.  I'd hope not considering the home/cab has already been cleared by openreach. 

0 Likes
104 REPLIES 104

Message 1 of 105

Hi Rob_B

Thanks for your reply.

If you would like me to take a look at the speed then please let me know.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 105

Heya,

No disconnections so far and I'm not seeing packet loss looking at the Broadband Monitor.  Phone calls I believe have been clear too for the moment.
Speed has dropped a bit again unfortunately, but there's nothing you can do about that. 

I will keep monitoring,

Many thanks

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 4 of 105

Hi Rob_B

Thanks for your reply.

I will check in again with you on Friday to see how the connection has been.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 105

Heya,

Not noticed anything, however the Broadband monitor was offline as I reconnected the integrated filter faceplate yesterday after receiving a message from OR and that changed our IP, so the monitor wasn't monitoring anything. I've set up a new monitor using our current IP. 

Also received no calls this morning, so no info on that front.

Will keep monitoring.

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 6 of 105

Hi @Franco_B 

Openreach have now closed the fault as resolved.

How was the connection last night/this morning?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 105

Hello again,

I've just re-checked the fault again and it's still assigned to the line engineer at the moment, so no additional updates as yet. We'll continue to monitor this for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 105

Good morning,

Ok thanks for the update and I'll check later on this afternoon to see if there is an update from Openreach on the line fault.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 105

Heya,

Cheers for that, OR did send Franco a text message.  More info today

At your (TT) request to disconnect the internet to see if it makes the line noise clear I did so this morning. 

• Gran called
  • internet cut off upon receiving the call
  • noise on the line
  • pulling the router from the filter, noise disappeared on phone line
  • reconnecting the router while still on the phone and getting a white light on the router - noise did not return

So I'm not sure what that implies that I can pull the router out to clear the noise, but then it reconnecting whilst still on the phones causes no noise issues.  It is similar to hanging up the phone though as that 'clears' the noise too.  It's almost like crossed lines. 

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 10 of 105

Hi Franco_B

The fault has been assigned to an Openreach line engineer. We should hopefully have further updates later this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 105

Hello,

Ok, I understand. I've re-run the line test now which has detected a potential external copper line fault so I've passed this straight over to Openreach now for a line engineer to complete an external line investigation. We'll check the fault again first thing in the morning for an update for you.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 12 of 105

Heya,

I can try to see, but the noise is not consistent, in fact it's sporadic. It also disappears if you hang up and then pick up again. 

Annoyingly after reading your message I did pick up the phone and it did sound like there was a fair bit of noise on the line.  Unfortunately I put the phone down as I walked downstairs to the master socket to disconnect the router. 

However I picked up the phone again just before disconnecting the router and the noise was gone. That was in the space of about 20 seconds.  I did try disconnecting the router regardless,  but it made no noticeable difference to the sound at this point. 

Other times when I think there's a little bit of noise on the line when I'm listening to the dial tone, if it gets to the "Please Hang Up" message which happens after about 15 seconds, the message is perfectly clear with no noise what-so-ever. 

The third and final issue is - generally it's my gran that calls, and the crackling on the phone line happens not only when she calls us but when she calls others (mentioned in this thread).  However, the two calls on saturday with noise were not from her.  They were from two different people - the first a landline, and this was the call that was disconnected, the second was a mobile where I asked the person to call again because it sounded like someone was attacking the line with a cheese grater.  The noise was gone when they called back, but as I stated previously, this is always the case.

If I look at the Think Broadband graphs, I can see packet loss frequently when people have called. 

Here's the 9th, phone calls circled.

Franco_B_0-1718014645339.png

Here's the 8th, the call where we were disconnected is in orange, the one where it sounded like there was someone attacking the line with a cheese grater is the long green oval.

Franco_B_1-1718014840266.png

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 13 of 105

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Is the noise present with just the phone connected to the test socket and with the router removed please?

Michelle

0 Likes

Franco_B
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 105

Heya,

No internet disconnections so far, but it has felt like the internet 'stalls' when we've had phone calls.  The Think Broadband graph has shown some packet loss spikes, I think one coincides with the below.  

We have had 2 phone calls today which had noise on the line, one of which the phone disconnected (3.01pm today). 

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 15 of 105

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Thanks for connecting the router at the test socket and we'll re-check your connection stats first thing on Monday morning.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 105

Heya, 

Another disconnection upon receiving a phone call this morning. 

Phone and router are now connected via the test socket with a microfilter, however the filters haven't been used in so long that, in all honesty, i'm not sure of their condition.  

Many Thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 17 of 105

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. If it's possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket then we can re-check the connection stats again to see how your speeds and stability compares?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 18 of 105

Heya,

No noise that I or other uses can detect or think of on the phone line. 

I notice it disconnected again during the night and the speed has dropped back down.  I've re-enabled Think Broadbands monitor, I've not connected to the test socket as of yet.

Many thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes

Message 19 of 105

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the speed has been varying over the last 48hrs. Is there any noise on your voice service?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 20 of 105

Heya,

It's the one on the profile not the one in the notes listed as my grans.  

Had 3 calls today, disconnections on two - one at 11am, one at 6.05pm.  So unfortunately it seems like the issues we were having before have returned.  

Many Thanks,

Rob_B

0 Likes