cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 150 no connection.

sacilc
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 23

So, internet died for second time this month. The modem on the wall just starts flashing lights and then internet dies.

Been off for 2hrs now and the TT connection test keeps lying to me, saying connection is fine.  I know the Router is fine, as I'm writing this post using the router via a ethernet cable from a 4g modem. But the moment I connect the cable from the modern on the wall, nothing!!

Checked the router when connected to Open reach modem, like before it cannot sync timeserver!  Very frustrating issue to troubleshoot, as everything thinks it has a connection, but without a timeserver connection is dead. I reset router and reset modem.   Nothing, can't connect.  

I feel I am being pushed off TT, because I'm on the aging 150 fibre.... And the quality of service is literally falling apart.   No issues for years, then the moment there is new fibre in the street, my connection is unreliable.  I'm on copper from cabinet, so it is something from cabinet that is failing.Perhaps the modem , not the TT router, is slowly breaking, perhaps needs few update or replacement. 

Either way, boxing day, evening, close to 3 hrs no internet and TT account happily saying my line is fine, but won't close the fault?

Any hints here?   Does the moden fail?  Is this a know issue?  Appreciate and help I can get, from a human....😐

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

The engineer will run test on the line to find the underlying cause of the disconnections, the router wouldn't need to be not in sync during the engineer visit for a fault to be found. Line test are passing but are also showing a lot of reconnection over the last few days so there does appear to be a fault.

I'm sorry but we can't arrange the engineer visit unless you agree to potential engineer charges

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Modem now syncing again.   

If possible while setup is fully connected, is there further testing or confirmation possible?

The intermittent nature of this is frustrating.

BR

Sacilc

0 Likes

Message 3 of 23

Hi Michelle,

If no fault is found because the modem does sync before and or during engineer visit.  (This has seemingly "fixed" itself a few times now), I will not be accepting any charges.  

I've seen a few posts related to  these charges.  Seems a lose-win for those involved.  Unless the technician is here now, exactly when item is failing, or the modem actually "dies", I am worried we get stuck in a loop of:  OpenReach responsible, no fault found, charge customer, failure, OpenReach responsible, no fault found, charge customer.... Etc.     If this was a TalkTalk responsibility, I would feel a lot more confident.  

BR

sacilc

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-run the line test now which is clear, however it's detecting that the modem is not in sync. If the set up hasn't changed and the connection is dropping directly at the Openreach modem then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Please could you provide a few days availability AM (8-1) and PM(1-6) and also confirm possible time related engineer charges if the engineer is unable to locate a fault or finds a fault on your own equipment, and we can arrange the next available visit for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

Hi Michelle,

MODEM lost connection  again at 2:30am today.  Still disconnected as I try to start work this morning .Two led dead with internet one flashing when modem trying to make a connection.  Switched to my phone for internet.

If you wish to send a router, feel free, but understand that when I switch to my 4g connection, I bypass the OpenReach modem and continue using TT router.  Issue is between talktalk server and OpenReach modem.

I'm now quite frustrated/ angry.   In a fairly short space of time I have lost days worth of connection.  Frequency is accelerating as predicted.  Not one mention of why, and certainly feels like this has gone beyond "dropping" connection.  Has anyone in TT logged a resolution action for all or any of the fault tickets I opened?  Can those be shared with the paying customer?  

This may be intermittent but loss of service of hours and days at a time seems serious enough to warrant some kind of detail being shared with me.  

Desperate,

Sacilc

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

Morning,

If this does happen again then please let us know and we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

Hi Chris, 

Still good today.  Might try setup something to check if error is happening for shorter periods of time without me noticing.

Three occasions in a few months, I have noticed each time when modem finally reconnected I have moved to a completely new pool of IP addresses.  Perhaps modem isn't failing at all?  Wondering now if TT is shuffling accounts around, release/renewing IPs, but the gfast modem is just slower to Reconnect to TT DHCP.

Love to get feedback from the fault logged before and the one from yesterday.

Br

Sacilc

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Hi sacilc,

Sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems again. Is it still OK today?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 23

I will pass this back to TalkTalk now for you & hopefully, they'll pick it up tomorrow.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 10 of 23

Hi,

Problem is back.  Same as before.  Router is fine, OpenReach modem LEDs blank or flashing.

Down about an hour now, modem looks like it's trying to negotiate connection in cycles, flashing really fast for a period of time, then nothing.  

Can't even log a fault using account page, because it is still pretending the connection is fine, but suspiciously the speed test can't function.  

Hopefully in this round of conversation we could establish what the fault is?   Is there perhaps a technician or squirrel in a cabinet somewhere, doing something important, killing my (perhaps others?) connection, but no one is sharing this officially?

I am nervous now, as the belief this issue was getting worse and more frequent seems to be coming true.   

EDIT:   no internet all day, then 11:45pm, modem LEDs go green across the board.  Did manage to open fault on account page this afternoon.  Good to have connection back!   Once again no idea what is going on, or when it will strike again.  

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Hi sacilc

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 23

Hi Debbie, 

All green LEDs on modem since last post.  Connection full speed.  

Fault still open on account homepage, but seems stable at the house.

So sending thnx to whatever / whomever fixed sumthing!     

Message 13 of 23

Hi sacilc

Apologies for the delay.

Is everything still working ok since your last post?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 23

Hi Chris,

So, unplugged everything.   Got my child ready to go out for the day, plugged it all back in and left house.   Sometime in past 5hrs the modem negotiated a connection.   

Glad didn't book engineer, but don't know who to thank, or for what??  Did anything happen on TT side?   24hrs, randomly no connection, yet no fault reported anywhere?

TT still has fault open on my account.  

Description

This case is open

Status
In-progress
Date reported

26/12/2023

Reference number

REP-13800654

Time to move off g.fast?  20mins, then 24hrs? Next outage could be week's?  And I'm nervous that issue can/does "fix" itself before a person arrives, so I'll get stuck with a £75 charge.  I would like to think I'm a happy customer, 150 is more than I need, but reliability and the worry of wasted charges is making me wonder if I'm on a sinking ship? 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 23

It would be an Openreach engineer

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

Cheers Chris,

Hi Chris,

Which engineer visit are you planning to book?   There are a lot of words in the charges section related to TT Vs OpenReach.   

I wouldn't want to be charged for TT to confirm the router is working, then send OpenReach round to check the modem or cables??  

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

OK, can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 23

Not certain of the question.... My service isn't working.  If TT need an engineer to visit to get it working, please proceed 😀

0 Likes

Message 19 of 23

OK thanks, to investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 23

Hi Chris, 

Don't have a phone, not ever used the number or been able to check dial tone for a many years now.

After leaving overnight, connection hasn't resolved itself.  Modem lights still indicating no upstream connection, and router has solid amber led.  Restarted both. No change.  

Anyone able to confirm my fault yet?   Last TT message on my account says, nothing wrong with line, but fault stays open??? Would be great to confirm anyone can see a modem connected?  (Access to modem via portal appears disabled, so I can't provide any additional insight into issue it may be seeing)

Modem is the Huawei mt992.  Over the years I've seen it working without a Lan light, then this past year working with a Lan light, then this past month has died twice, got "better" somehow before after logging fault, so hopeful again this time?  

Appreciate your help.... What's next?

Edit:  using router logs, router can see modem, modem fails to support DHCP, and since router can't sync timeservers, I get some interesting dates in the log files. 

01.01.2013 00:11:19ErrorDHCPC
WAN DHCP client (1) failed
01.01.2013 00:09:57ErrorDHCPC
01.01.2013 00:08:35ErrorDHCPC
01.01.2013 00:07:31InfoSYS
Modem login was successful

0 Likes