cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Fibre 35 speed

kev6987
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

I was Shell broadband. I signed up to a full contract with Talk Talk when my Shell contract was due to expire.

My problem is the speed. I am getting 15mbps which is quite a bit below the 35mbps advertised.

With Shell I was getting 15mbps off their Technicolour router. Before Shell I was getting 35-40mbps with Vodafone off their router.

Should I have a new router from Talk Talk and not relying on the Shell one? Would it get me closer to the 35mbps? 

I ask because I am certain the Shell router is maxed out at 15mbps. If Talk Talk were to send me a router capable of getting the speed advertised then that would be a pretty easy fix.

Kf
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Yeah I get they're not guaranteed speeds but the 34mbps is an agreement that you can cancel if not getting the 34mbps with the service not being what you want. 

I would have thought talk talk would go down the talk talk router route to check if that's the problem. I'm still on a Shell router which I have checked and I believe is clocked at a 15mbps max speed. 

Just done the My Connection you mentioned and download speeds were at 12.5mbps and Talk talk couldn't recognise my router when I told it to check router. As I say, at the very least I'd like to check and see if a talk talk router would fix the problem. 

I don't want to leave, I can't be bothered with all the rigmarole. I want to try a few things and see if they work first. As I said in first post I've had great speeds with Vodafone in the last in the same property with the same line.

I'm open to ideas.

Kf
0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

The average speed is not your guaranteed minimum, nor the expected speed for the particular line, @kev6987. It's just a general customer average and may have little to do with your line.

1000005630.jpg

Your contract information should describe the details, and you should be able to see the minimum guaranteed also in My Connection, when you run a speed test. That may not work with your current router.

You should have received these details at the point of sale.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Yeah, I stated in the first post I'd signed up fully for a talk talk contract. Done the profile. Cheers for the info. 

Kf
0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

OK, have you actually signed up with TalkTalk directly now? If so, make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk phone number and/or account number are complete on your community profile (click here) so that the support team here can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond. Bear in mind that they won't be back online until Monday. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Yeah but in all honesty Shell didn't guarantee a minimum download speed of 34mbps which is what Talk Talk guarantee at the moment on the fibre 35. Average speed on Fibre 35 is 38mbps so the 35 in Fibre 35 isn't indicative of the speed you will get.

I am not yet a month into the new contract so can assess the situation. To be fair the customer service is abysmal enough on its own. 

Kf
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

If you were getting 15Mbps with Shell then it seems like nothing has changed. The 35 headline figure is always an "up to" speed and does not necessarily correlate to the maximum that your line can actually support.

Sadly, the support team here are limited in what they can do in relation to former Shell customers at present, so if you want to pursue this further you will need to contact customer services directly and ask specifically for the Shell Migration Team. 

0 Likes