FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Speed Boost

larrywilkie
Whizz Kid
Message 148 of 148

Good afternoon,

I have purchased the Fibre Speed Boost (about three weeks ago), but I haven't seen any improvement in my download speed.

Speed tests consistently return download speeds of around 38mbps, which is what I was getting prior to the boost being added, although I believe I was told I could get up to 72mbps (I do understand that this is a maximum figure and unlikely to be achieved).

Is there anything that can be done to see if I can achieve higher speeds than 38mbps, as if it is not possible, then the boost isn't worth keeping.

Many thanks

Larry 

0 Likes
147 REPLIES 147

Message 21 of 148

Hi Chris,

Yes they are.

On the ground floor.

I have used one on the first floor, but this is unplugged at the moment.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 22 of 148

Are the PLA's on the same floor of your home, same ring main?

(you can recycle the PLA there if you like)

Chris

0 Likes

Message 23 of 148

You may well be able to improve on that. Where WiFi extenders of whatever make are used, there is always the potential for WiFi interference between the router & the extender. I would always recommend using a WiFi analyser to determine the best settings for both units.

I provide free help on this if you want it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 24 of 148

Hi Chris,

Thank you. Do you want me to return my old one or recycle it here?

Yes, when the engineer called recently, he plugged his laptop directly into the router, and he then got a download speed of 62mbps, which is about what we would expect. But when he then plugged the laptop into the PLA, it dropped to the same levels as I am currently getting.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 25 of 148

Thanks for running the tests, yes you can keep hold of the powerline adapter

It's strange the the wireless speeds are so high compared to the PLA's - have you tested connected directly with an Ethernet cable?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 148

Hi again Chris,

Just out of interest, I tried a wireless speed test next to my existing Wi Fi extender, and it was running at about 5.5 - 6 mbps. I then plugged in the new one you have sent this morning and it was up over 50, so we have at least resolved that side issue if it's ok for me to hang on to the replacement you sent?

Larry

0 Likes

Message 27 of 148

Hi Chris,

just ran four speed tests on mobile.

The highest average speed I got was 57.1. It did go to over 60 during that test, but 57.1 was the average.

All of these tests were run in the same room as the router.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 28 of 148

Hi larrywilkie,

Could you run a speed test on a wireless device such as a mobile phone and let us know how the speed compares

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 29 of 148

Hi Debbie,

I have used this as described.

I have disconnected everything else so that I am just using the one adaptor at the moment which is connected to the desktop PC I am currently using. So my connection is from the Wi Fi Hub into one adaptor, then the adaptor into the PC.

I have run a few tests now with this set up, and also by changing the adaptor that is plugged into the Wi Fi Hub, but still only getting approx. 38mbps.

On my Router dashboard, there are two 'ip' addresses showing as connected via Ethernet, is this correct when only my PC is connected? 

It also shows my current speed to the router is 66.6mbps.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 30 of 148

Hi Larry

Not all your adapters should be faulty, we sent one for testing to see if this helps.

This is a powerline adapter, Keith has one of these and you can connect using wireless or wired connection (please see Keith's post)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 31 of 148

I Debbie,

No, this is definitely the Wi Fi Extender kit, as I am using one of these as well.

The powerline adaptors are now on your site as Network Connectors. https://accessories.talktalk.co.uk/productdescription/40

I am currently using three of these, so ideally need 3 replacements please.

Larry

IMG_5189.JPG

0 Likes

Message 32 of 148

Yes these PLAs do have, in addition to the WiFi extender component, an Ethernet port on the extender unit. This means that the Ethernet connection between the router & network connector unit handles all WiFi and one Ethernet connection over your mains electricity.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 33 of 148

Message 34 of 148

Hi Larry

They look like powerline adapters

Does this have an ethernet port on it?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 35 of 148

CE006291-B927-4ADE-9EDC-5F647AD106D9.jpeg

15E1FD5B-88A1-49B4-89F9-CEE3057F7C2B.jpeg

Hi Debbie,

It is definitely a Wi Fi Extender Kit, and that is what is listed on the delivery note.

Larry

0 Likes

Message 36 of 148

Hi Larry

I've checked the order and this is showing as powerline adapters.

Does this have an ethernet port on it?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 37 of 148

Hi Debbie,

I've just received my delivery, but unfortunately I've been sent a Wi Fi Extender Kit instead of the powerline adaptors!!

Larry

0 Likes

Message 38 of 148

Hi Larry

The replacement powerline adapters are on the way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 39 of 148

Hi Debbie,

Yes please. 

Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Thank you

Larry

0 Likes

Message 40 of 148

Hi Larry

Thanks for your reply. I can send replacement powerline adapters to see how the speed compares, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes