cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Frayed router power cable

RICHCMATHER
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 32 of 32

Not sure how this community forum works but here's my question: Where do I go to for a new power cable for my router? My problem is that I have an almost broken power cable to the wireless super router. It's where the wire meets the mains plug. It's starting to fray, exposing the inner wire. I've secured it with insulating tape but that can only be a temporary solution. Is it possible for a new power cable/adapter to be sent out to me by TalkTalk? 

Richard
0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Hi

Just a follow up to make sure the router arrived and if you need any further assistance from our team.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 32

Hi

Did the router arrive ?

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 32

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 4 of 32

Thank you. Much appreciated.  

Richard
0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Hi

Router and returns bag are on the way.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 6 of 32

Hi,

Yes, that'd be good. Thank you.   

Richard
0 Likes

Message 7 of 32

Morning,

Thanks for confirming 🙂 We can't send a replacement stand but we can send a replacement router and a router returns bag for the faulty router, would this be ok?

Thanks

Message 8 of 32

It's good. 74mbps. 

Is there any chance of getting a replacement stand for the router you sent me recently. I don't know if it got damaged by Royal Mail but there's a problem with one of the hinges on the stand that's supposed to keep the router upright; it keeps falling over. 

Richard
0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

Hi RICHCMATHER

Thanks for letting us know. How's the connection/speed been since your last post?

Message 10 of 32

OpenReach came to us yesterday and found corrosion on the line, which they repaired. Speed to the router is now 37mbps.

Richard
0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

Hi RICHCMATHER,

I can see that this has now been raised to Openreach for investigation. Is there any improvement in the speed today?

Chris

Message 12 of 32

The old router is faster although it's still nowhere near the guaranteed speed.

I'd thought of using the new cable to the old router, but they are different models. Indeed, the new router is almost twice the size of the old one.

Richard
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 32

So, just to be clear, you've reconnected the old router and your getting a solid service with the speed you expect?

Is the new router the same make and model as the old one?, and if so, could you use the power supply from the new one with the old one?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Yeah, the new router is slower than the old one. Odd. 

Richard
0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 32

@RICHCMATHER ,

Have the connection/speed issues only started since connecting the new router?

If so, have you tried connecting the old router back up to help rule out the router as the cause?

0 Likes

Message 16 of 32

TalkTalk is now saying the problem is fixed (without having come to the property) but the connection is very slow. The guaranteed download speed to the router is supposed to be 45mbps but as you can see from the attached image it falls well below that. And there's still the matter of the router not staying upright because of the faulty stand. 

router.png
Richard
0 Likes

Message 17 of 32

Not really. The speed is very slow and service is intermittent. I did line a line speed check and TalkTalk want to send an engineer out (booked for tomorrow). Also, the stand on which the router rests is faulty.

Richard
0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

Hi RICHCMATHER

How are you getting on, is everything working ok?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 32

OK thanks, just let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

0 Likes

AllyM
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 32

I'm struggling to understand how a power cable, which should hardly ever move, can suffer any sort of normal wear.

0 Likes