cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Intermittent WiFi Connection to Apple Devices

Gordon_Arthur
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

Hello, I'm on a fibre package that has been just fine for ages but latterly, perhaps in the last week or so, we have had problems where the iPhones or iPads will not link to the WiFi. I have two Windows laptops which are doing just fine. I get 40Mbps on one machine and 70Mbps on my other, it seems to be just the Apple devices. I've tried the Chat function but I can't get past the BOT to get anything sensible. I have switched off the router overnight and that had no effect. Any suggestions please?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Morning,

I'm glad to hear this 🙂

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Thanks for reaching out again but I think we are all okay after the helpful input from Keith. I was fairly sure that I had already expressed my thanks and closed the issue but there may well be two email trails. Anyway, all good to close down, thank you.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 16

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

After doing more diagnostics via PMs. Since making some channel changes that I recommended, plus turning off an old TP-Link extender, things are now much better.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 6 of 16

Morning,

Ok, thanks for the update 🙂

Michelle

0 Likes

Gordon_Arthur
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 16

Additional profile information added. Keith is generously providing me with some guidance which I am following gradually.

Message 8 of 16
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 16

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

I am currently doing some WiFi diagnostics via PMs. I will update this as soon as I know more.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 16

Hi Gordon,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 16

Hi @Gordon_Arthur 

I will ask TalkTalk to disable WiFi optimisation on your behalf then.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith

0 Likes

Gordon_Arthur
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 16

Hi Keith, I have no idea about the optimisation setting, I can't see that in the router dashboard at the moment so, if that can be updated by a TalkTalk team member, then please go ahead.

There are two bands, the bulk are on the 2.4 GHz channel. My work laptop is connected to Band 2 (5GHz), as is my (old) iPad. There is another device also, which will, no doubt be one of my wife's devices (iPad Pro) but she is not presently at home so I cannot check the name or IP.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 16

Yes, it is the Sagemcom FAST5364. Do you know which WiFi bands the working devices are on? One way is to logon to the router (192.168.1.1), then use a username of admin and the password quoted on the same label as the router model (called the router password). That is unless you have changed it to something else. Once into the router, go into the Advanced settings and you will be presented with a device listing showing what is connected to which WiFi band.

In the meantime, have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith

0 Likes

Gordon_Arthur
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 16

Thanks for your comment Keith. There is nothing in the way of obvious identification of the router. If I slide the password panel out I can see a manufacturer's label that says it's made by Sagem and is simply called a TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub. Device Ver.: FAST 5364-3. T8

Does that give any clues?

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

A lot may depend on which WiFi band the Apple devices are trying to use & which band the other working devices are connected to.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes