cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Low SNR, patchy network

ImTheReal
Team Player
Private Message
Message 64 of 64

Hi,

I just had an unsuccessful session with support chat. Testing my luck here.

I'm seeing the following on my modem (Draytek Vigor 167) DSL Status page

ImTheReal_0-1695662931625.png

I'm experiencing quite patchy broadband in the recent days, especially today. I've been dropped out from calls and meetings. ping constant shows network is unreachable packets in dozens or more at a time.

I did see DSL led blinking (searching) on the modem at the same time when packet loss happen.

An engineer visited me recently as a pair of cables got worn out after a renovation in communal places in the building. Engineer told me that we might see each other again.

Can someone see similar signal quality issues from talktalk side on my installation? Would appreciate some real help as I work from home and fast & reliable network is crucial to me.

Best

0 Likes
63 REPLIES 63

Message 1 of 64

I've booked the engineer for - October 16 2023, AM - please let us know how you get on 

Chris

Message 2 of 64

Any chance for morning/afternoon on 16th Oct? If not then morning/afternoon on 8th Nov?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 64

Thanks for the information, could you just let me know when you can be available for the visit and I'll book it for you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 64

That engineering charge is scary but sure :]

I replied to your message with details. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 64

OK, if you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

Message 6 of 64

Sure, please go ahead.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 64

Hi ImTheReal,

Line test is picking up a potential problem and current sync speed is 46.9Mbps. We can arrange an engineer visit to take a look at this as the speed is below the guaranteed minimum. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 64

Hey.

It's Wednesday :]

I'm aware of that the line disconnected twice. ~2pm yesterday and at some point ~4am this morning. I didn't change anything on the setup nor restart any device.

SNR is looking great on both down (~18) & upstream (~16).

Current metrics

ImTheReal_0-1697032052146.png

ImTheReal_1-1697032090584.png

0 Likes

Message 9 of 64

Could you bump the thread tomorrow and well run another line test

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 64

Just for the record.

Yesterday morning SNR and attainable speed went up to ~17db and 100000+Kbps just as in normal days. Sadly SNR dropped ~2pm as 13db, 6db, 1.3db then line disconnected. I was looking at the modem UI to see this unfold. All my devices run 24/7.

After reconnecting snr settled ~6db and attainable speed is ~67000Kbps and my actual speed max out at ~48Mbps

ImTheReal_0-1696921284964.png

ImTheReal_1-1696921347983.png

As is 08:03am this morning

I do hope this gets better on Wednesday or some action will follow to permanently solve this as I'm getting annoyed not seeing any long term progress for a while now.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 64

Hello,

Thank you 🙂 Line test completed and this is also clear. If you would prefer to use your own router then this would be fine. We'll re-check the connection stats on Wednesday to see how both the stability and speed compare.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 12 of 64

Connected

0 Likes

Message 13 of 64

No problem, just post here again once it's connected 🙂

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 64

Would be great to do a line test with my devices and see how that compares.

I did reboot my modem on Sunday with the hope that might help. It didn't help. :] Otherwise I have them running nonstop.

I'm now connecting my modem+router to the test socket. Give 5 mins please.

edit: ready

0 Likes

Message 15 of 64

Hi,

Would you like us to re-run the line test with your own modem/router connected to the test socket to see how this compares? The only thing we'd advise is not to switch off/reboot the router as this can look like an unstable connection and DLM won't increase the speed if the connection is unstable.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 16 of 64

QQ while we wait.

Anything I can do to enable you to run line tests and stuff whilst I use my own modem+router? I mean any port that needs to be open or things like that.

The swap to talktalk router really not ideal to me.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 64

Hi,

Yes, the line test is now clear at the test socket. It looks like the sync speed has dropped as the connection also looks unstable. If the stability improves now that the router is connected at the test socket then the speed should also improve too. We'll re-check the connection stats on Wednesday to see how they are looking.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 18 of 64

Is it clear now? I see this on the talktalk device UI

ImTheReal_0-1696836242112.png

shouldn't be 65 or so when everything is ok?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 64

Hello,

Thank you. I've re-run the line test again which is now clear. Would it be possible to keep the microfilter and router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM starts to make changes to the speed and also so we can see if the stability improves too?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 20 of 64

all set. wall socket + microfilter + router

0 Likes