cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Lower download speeds than expected

cjedonline
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

My package (Fibre 65) has a guaranteed download of 40mbps - for the last few weeks it's been down at 36/37mbps. Looking at the DSL stats from my router I see :

Downstream                            Upstream
Actual Rate             39998 Kbps                               20000 Kbps
Attainable Rate      57449 Kbps                              20214 Kbps
SNR Margin            11 dB                                            6 dB
Attenuation            19 dB                                           27 dB

In the past I've had nearly 50mbps downloads. This looks suspiciously as though my connection is being limited to a maximum of 40mbps, rather than that being a minimum. Can anything be done from TalkTalk to fix this ?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

That's great news Charles, thanks for letting me know 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Right, it looks like the line was reset on the 31st of May, and now I have a much higher sync speed :

2024-05-31 17:40   Downstream               Upstream
Actual Rate            48999 Kbps                  20000 Kbps
Attainable Rate     60195 Kbps                   20500 Kbps

I did put the TalkTalk router in place from the 3rd to the 6th of June and it made no difference. I currently have :

2024-06-06 08:22    Downstream          Upstream
Actual Rate               48999 Kbps            19805 Kbps
Attainable Rate        58718 Kbps             19808 Kbps

So, it all looks good at the moment - looks like the line reset fixed the problem, at least for the moment.

Regards,

Charles.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14
0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

OK Chris, I'll post back on Wednesday/Thursday next week after having the TalkTalk router connected for 48+ hours.

Regards,

Charles.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Charles,

I'm sorry, we can't fix DLM at a higher sync speed, it automatically adjusts the speed based on the number of disconnections and/or errors, in a given amount of time. If you could bump the thread when the TalkTalk router has been connected for 48 hours we can then check for any improvment

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Chris,

> DLM has set a line profile that is restricting your sync speed to 40Mbps

This was what I suspected. I could test with the TT router for 48 hours at the start of next week - it's not convenient to switch out my current router at the moment. 

Is it possible to fix DLM at a higher sync speed (and avoid any downgrading as the line "trains" itself) ?

Regards,

Charles.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

OK thanks. DLM has set a line profile that is restricting your sync speed to 40Mbps. Could you test with the TalkTalk router connected, you would need to leave it there for at least 48 hours to see if DLM will move you to a faster profile

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Chris, yes the landline and mobile numbers in my profile information are correct.

Regards,

Charles.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Charles,

Could you just check the telephone number in your community profile and confirm that it's your current TalkTalk landline telephone number

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Michelle, the router is a DrayTek Vigor 2762 which I've had since July 2020. I use it instead of the TT supplied router as it supports additional features I need (and avoids switching router / network setup when I change providers). 

Regards,

Charles.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi Charles,

Ok thanks for confirming. How long have you had this current router for?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hi Michelle, no, there's no noise on the phone line (although we don't normally use it). There is a test socket in the Openreach box, but as we have no additional telephone extensions, I don't think connecting to it will make any difference.

Regards,

Charles.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your post. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Is there any noise on the voice service? Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes