cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

No internet on private network but guest network working

Dazzamac
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 8 of 8

I’ve set up a guest network to isolate smart devices from my home computer. Since doing this, my regular SSID has stopped going out onto the internet. When connected to the guest network, the internet is working fine. When I connect my phone or iPad to the regular network (which has not had any changes made to it), I can’t see out onto the internet.

The devices are receiving the correct subnet and gateway address from DHCP

I can see the isolated devices are getting addresses on the 192.168.8.0/24 network the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz private network assigns from 192.168.1.0/24 as expected

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

That's great news Dazzamac, thanks for letting us know.

Chris

0 Likes

Dazzamac
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 2 of 8

Issue resolved. Further reading on the forums pointed out that a recent firmware update might have changed the default firewall settings which were causing users issues for certain devices. Upon checking this ,I was able to confirm the firewall was set to high for me too. This blocked NordVPN for me which explains why my phone and ipad failed but my work laptop worked to an extent.

I've set the rules back to medium to confirm. I'll need to review the firewall at a future time to maybe create custom rulesets. The main thing is I've got the cheap 'smart' kit off my lan and internet facing still so I'm a step in the right direction

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Dazzamac 

I have been told that V158 has all sorts of bugs in it where guest networks are involved, but I have not had the time to discover what they are for myself.

One thing that is definitely wrong is the DNS configuration. If you are using the router as a DNS server, you should really only use the router's IP address of 192.168.1.1, not a public IP address such as CloudFare's. These are the DNS server addresses that are handed out to the clients via DHCP. If you want to use different DNS servers, the correct place to do this is in the Internet Connectivity configuration area.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

I should also note that when I last restarted the router, my guest SSID reset.

0 Likes

Dazzamac
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 5 of 8

@KeithFrench 

Serial NumberHardware VersionSoftware VersionGUI VersionSystem Up TimeMAC Address

FAST5364 3.00
SG4K100158
01h19m10s

Dazzamac_0-1681205831919.png

Dazzamac_1-1681205867619.png

Network
Local IPv4 AddressLocal Subnet MaskLocal Ethernet Mac addressPublic IPv4 AddressPublic Subnet MaskIPv4 Online DurationDefault GatewayPrimary DNS ServerSecondary DNS ServerIP VersionNAT

01h17m28s
IPv4/IPv6
ENABLED

Wi-Fi
2.4 GHz Wi-Fi SSIDStatusUptime ModeSecurity
TALKTALK6F8656
Enabled
01h19m10s

802.11 b,g,n
WPA2 Personal
5.0 GHz Wi-Fi SSIDStatusUptimeMAC addressModeSecurity
TALKTALK6F86565GHz
Enabled
01h19m10s

802.11 a,n,ac
WPA2 Personal
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Dazzamac 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you, but you have not provided any useful information. Please can you confirm:-

1. What make/model of router are you using?
  2. Please provide screenshots of your wireless configuration & DHCP pages.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8