cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Please check WiFi optimisation is disabled for my Sagemcom Fast 5364 router again

alanl8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

I need WiFi optimisation to be disabled for my Sagemcom router, as it causes the device to select channels that are congested, resulting in intermittent WiFi connectivity. This was last checked in January 2024 but it looks like it has been enabled again, as over the past two nights, the router is performing automatic channel hopping, as per the following log entries:

24.09.2024 04:32:52 Info WIFI
Channel: (1/6) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

25.09.2024 03:38:43 Info WIFI
Channel: (60/44) Channel Hopping initiated/Manually initiated

Please can someone check that WiFi optimisation is disabled for my router? (or if it is, please explain why the router is ignoring that and still automatically changing channels)

14 REPLIES 14

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 15

Yes he is the original poster, but that doesn't preclude someone from making a very important  comment.

So put that comment back.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

This is alanl8 post/topic not your topic/thread

I have fed back the comments raised to our Devices Team.

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 15

This is my topic. Are you banning others from participating, in a very important discussion?

What is wrong with congratulating @alanl8 , and pointing out how right he is on the issue of Router Optimisation?

You don't like the truth?

Bill

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi @Billx 

Please can you post on your own topic.

Thanks

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 15

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

It looks like you've done a bit of censorship.

You should be ashamed.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi alanl8

Thank you and apologies again.

I will pass on your feedback to our Devices Team.

0 Likes

alanl8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

OK, great thanks.  I'll update once I've tested it.

Still disappointing that TalkTalk have chosen to remove a capability that solves this problem properly, when used by customers who know what they're doing, rather than just adding more devices and power, which is clearly less efficient (and not good for anyone's carbon footprint either)

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi @alanl8 

Ok no problem.

The WIFI extender is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

alanl8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 15

I appreciate the offer of Keith's assistance but I already know how to optimise WiFi settings (having worked in the wireless and telecoms industry myself), hence why I've been careful to manually select and configure channels and bandwidths that work best here, without (so far) the need to use an extender.  The signal strength from the Sagemcom is sufficient to reach throughout the house and to the end of the garden here, without one.  However, the interference from networks in neighbouring houses sharing the same channels (especially at busier times) reduces the achievable data rate and causes interruptions.

As I say, it is worth giving the extender a try but it may not entirely solve the problem if ultimately the signal from next door's 5GHz network is still on the same channel and interferes to the same extent.  It'll just help my network dominate within the property, but at the expense of the quality of theirs.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 15

Hi @alanl8 

We have a Community Star who provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Would you like me to ask Keith to help first before sending an extender?

0 Likes

alanl8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 15

Yes, that would be helpful, thanks.  I can see if that helps.

It does seem a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut though and will probably result in neighbouring properties experiencing more interference on their networks, with my signal then being stronger.  They'll probably then use extenders, to boost their signal and we're back where we started again, but needlessly wasting more power.

(As I say, happy to try it but a better solution would be to allow me to continue to use channel 60 on my primary router, which avoids the interference problem completely)

Message 12 of 15

Hi @alanl8 

I can see some WIFI coverage issues. Would you like me to send a WIFI extender to see how the WIFI connection compares?

0 Likes

alanl8
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Hi Debbie and thank you for getting back to me quickly.  That's extremely disappointing as I need to be able to manually control the WiFi channels.  The 2.4GHz channel is extremely congested here, making it almost unusable on any channel (I can see over 10 neighbouring networks, some badly configured on channels you shouldn't use, e.g. 4) so I need the 5GHz to work.  However, there are neighbouring networks that also cause interference on 5GHz too, so I manually configure it to use channel 60 (with 40MHz channel width).  This works perfectly and has for months, with WiFi optimisation disabled.

Since WiFi optimisation has been re-enabled, the router has reselected lower 5GHz channels, e.g. 40, which suffers interference from neighbouring networks again, resulting in interrupted data, ping timeouts, etc.

Please can you offer a solution, as if WiFi optimisation cannot be disabled again, I will have to have to look elsewhere for another router, on which I can manually set the channels (or potentially another provider).

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 15

Hi @alanl8 

Apologies, we are no longer able to switch off WIFI optimisation, this was a business decision.

Is this affecting certain devices (with coverage issues)

0 Likes