FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerline Adapter Speed After Upgrade - Fibre 65 to Fibre 150

Gusto78
Participant
Message 17 of 17

Hi everyone, 

Got a question hoping someone can shed some light, we were just on the Fibre 65 package with Fibre Speed boost (getting around 75mbs down on average to socket). I use powerlines to my main PC upstairs and was averaging around 45-60 Mbps down on a good day, never had much issues. 

Just upgrade to Fibre 150 on the rollover and connected to the router and Wi-Fi 5GHz i am getting 130-150 mbps down which is great, however i have lost so much speed on wired over the powerline network and i now sit at 20-25Mbps down with the same upload as before. 

Any particular reason why this would be an issue now?  The adapters in question are TL-PA4022 AV600 - link on the TPlink app on desktop shows 250mbps either way between the adapters but i have somehow managed to lose 20-40 extra Mbps compared to before even tho i'm on a faster connection. 

Any Ideas? 

I've ordered some fast TP link - Av1300 with MiMo support to see if it helps!

16 REPLIES 16

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 17

Hi Gusto78,

Thanks for answering the security questions. I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Gusto78,

If you'd like us to book the engineer can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges

• Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

•  

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Michelle, 

Yes please!
I haven't noticed if it keep dropping out as i'm not home due to work majority of the day however my public IP has changed almost every day so i assume its still dropping out. 

Message 4 of 17

Morning,

Ok, if the set up hasn't changed then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Michelle, 

I can confirm nothing has changed set up wise since the engineer came in to install the new modem. I still have powerline adapters connected to the wall like i had in the past and there was no issue prior to the Fibre 150 Upgrade. 

I did speak to Live Chat and i am still within the 10 days settling period so that could be part of the issue of the intermittent drop outs but it does not explain the speed downgrade over PowerLine Adapters.  I have tested the powerline adapters in plugs on the same floor opposite eachother and there is no difference as someone had suggested to try. I even tried some older adapters that i have and no difference there. 

I have Cat6a cables between all the Adapters and end devices, as well as between the router and modem. I'd like to address that the engineer did mention that we should have been Mailed a ethernet cable from TalkTalk but we never recieved one, i simply used a 0.5M Cat6 cable (brand new) that i got from work (as i work in IT), 

Many thanks to everyone helping!

Message 6 of 17

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear that. I've run a test on the line which is clear, however the connection does look unstable. Can I just confirm, has the set up changed at all since this was installed by the engineer or any new equipment connected to any sockets?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Will be testing the above at some point this week as i've been away for the last few days. 

We do have an issue still were our DSL line to the OpenReach box drops 2-3x a day still, left my parents keeping an eye on it and even today on my return home its still dropping out for 20-30 mins at a time. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

OK thanks Gusto78, I look forward to hearing how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Thanks for the replies guys! Both are passthrough plugs so they are both into main wall plugs with extensions coming off them. 

I will be trying them in plugs next to each other and see if it makes a difference. 

I wouldn't have thought it's the mains as before the change to fibre 150 I would get faster speeds.

Only thing that changed was the line and the modem between the wall and the switch.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Please could you try ifanyonecan's suggestion and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

ifanyonecan
Whizz Kid
Message 11 of 17

Hi again

Are the adapters plugged into wall sockets, they don't work very good in extensions leads.

You could also try them plugged in next to each other if that gives you full speed may be a problem with your mains wiring.

Message 12 of 17

Do you know if the power line adapters are on different ring mains?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Chris,

Yes I just received them today, I got some av1300 ones I talked about above but barely any improvements. Still only getting 30-40mbps which is still lower than the 45-55 I use to get before on fibre64. Unsure why it's this slow, running cat6 between modem and router and then between all the other points also cat6, tried some cat5e cables too but no difference on the PLA's. 

The uplink between the power lines is 370mbps now instead of 250ish I had before as well.

Message 14 of 17

Hi Gusto78,

I'm not sure why the speeds have dropped on your current PLA's. Have you received the new adapters yet?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Thanks for the reply! Yeah i too noticed that the ports on the AV600 where only 100mb, i have gigabit adapters coming tomorrow in newer AV1300 so will see if it makes any difference! 
I have Cat6 cables on all the runs from the powerline adapters and between the modem and router too!

ifanyonecan
Whizz Kid
Message 16 of 17

Hi

Don't know why you are getting speeds that slow but mine were also slower on 150mb than 65mb so got new gigabit adapters now ok.

For Fibre 150 you need gigabit powerline adapters as AV600 as you say you get 250mb between the plugs but only have 100mb network sockets on them so will never go above 90mb, also Cat6 ethernet cables are needed.

Hope this helps

Mark