cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Problems since Crowdstrike

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

Ever since the Crowdstrike hack my Internet has dropped from the usual 34Mbps DL - 5Mbps UL

to a pathetic 15Mbps DL - 423Kbps UL

Almost 50% below my guaranteed speed of 28Mbps.

No it is not my router or some internal wiring it is because of Crowdstrike.

Also when logging in to my account and checking using your tool it states there is a problem and to contact you, HOWEVER,

when clicking the contact button I am routed to a support.talktalk URL and Firefox warns me there is a MITM attack coming from your network via a HLS proxy (the server you use to serve on-demand TV?)

Looks suspiciously like TT have been hacked yet again!

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi dgsection,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that the issue has been resolved 🙂

Chris

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 26

Hi Chris an update:

Whatever TT did after my previous posts Thu 1st Aug which highlighted continued issues with phone causing DSL to drop appear to have been resolved.
I am now able to make and also receive calls (Friday I called a friend for 10 mins, Sun OR sent me a recorded msg and Mon the OR engineer called me) none of which resulted in a drop of sync or immediate drop in speed.

The 2nd engineer attended Mon 5th, found no faults but had to reset the port to reset my dsl, something only OR can do.
He also scoffed when I explained I had been charged for 13 calls I never made and TT's response was a crossed line caused this, apparently, unless someone entered a BT duct, located my phone-line and bridge-tapped then there is no way this could happen, He stated it was more likely a TT routing/config issue as once my dsl hits the exchange it is parsed through TT equipment which deliver phone and dsl services.
See my post history for that thread regarding charges for calls I never made.

It has been 72 hrs since the 2nd engineer visit and apart from a loss of sync at 2:45am on Wed my dsl seems fine (above expected speeds)

https://testmy.net/compID/716643585673

my phone-line appears to be functioning properly now. I hope this continues and TT do not try and enforce a charge for either visit as this was clearly an issue with TT equipment/hardware.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

No problem, thanks 🙂

Chris

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 26

Thanks again Chris.

I'll update this thread after the engineer visit.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

I've booked  the first available appointment - August 05 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

Message 6 of 26

Thanks, I'll book the engineer now and get back to you with the details

Chris

0 Likes

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 26

Hi Chris,

Anytime is fine for me.

Saying that my visit yesterday was scheduled for 1 - 6pm yet the OR engineer phoned me at 9:30am and attended at 10:05am

I appreciate your continued help to resolve this issue!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Voice line test is passing but broadband test is picking up a potential problem. Could you le me know when you can be available for the visit and I'll book it for you

Chris

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 26

Hi Chris

Something needs to be done, It took me almost 5 minutes to log in to reply and another 2 minutes to log in to my email to get the verification code.

My Internet is now even worse than it was before the engineer visit. I hope that TT do not have the audacity to charge me for that visit? 🙂

If you believe that another engineer visit is required, then yes, please arrange it - although the previous engineer said he found no fault - this is most concerning and clearly an issue with TT and not Openreach

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

OK thanks, would you like us to arrange another engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 26

Hi Chris,

unplugging the router makes no difference, the landline is still full of noise/static/crackling

EDIT

I should also add after logging in to my route I can see from the logs I have had numerous disconnections since I received that phonecall this morning!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Thanks. Could you just unplug the router from the telephone socket and check to see if there is still noise on the telephone line?

Chris

0 Likes

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 26

Hi Chris, yes the phoneline is awash with static and crackling to the point it is essentially unusable.

I may be synced at 38Mbps however speedtest on TT shows 14Mbps DL 53Kbps UL and this happened as soon as I received a phonecall this morning that revealed the noise and static on the line 😞

I really do not need this stress 😞 Clearly there is an issue but to add insult to injury I am no doubt going to get charged for the engineer visit - beans on toast for the next week then

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

Hi dgsection,

Can you still hear the static on the line? Sync speed is currently 38.7Mbps

Chris

0 Likes

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 26

The engineer said he could find no fault with my data or phoneline, he reset the port and everything was back to normal until just now, I received a phonecall and there was loads of static on the landline, after doing a speedtest afterwards I am now back where I started, 19Mbps DL and 430Kbps upload 😞

Clearly there is something wrong if receiving a phonecall immediately drops my connection from 34Mbps/6Mbps tp 19Mbps/430Kbps in an instant - that is NOT due to DLM

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

Hi

OK, No Problem 🙂

I'll drop you a PM with the Openreach T&C's etc to confirm.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 26

Hi again Karl - Thank you once again for your prompt reply regarding my issue.

The current router is perfectly fine, my Internet has been solidly stable at 34Mbps DL & 6Mbps UL since I first went to fibre many years ago.

it seems pointless to create yet more e-waste when the router is 100% fine, as I previously mentioned my issues only surfaced after the crowdstrike incident. I highly rate the HG633 as the best TT router due to the level of control I have as the end-user.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

Hi

As the router is a little older now, would you like to try a new HUB first ?

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

dgsection
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 26

Hi Karl,

Thank you for your reply. I assumed that the speed drop was due to Crowdstrike as my Internet has been stable for years and only since the Crowdstrike outage have I experienced this issue, I was only made aware as I play online Chess tournaments and during a few tournaments I was loosing connection during the games so I obviously did a speed test and that was the first I knew about it.

I suppose I have no choice but to accept the engineer visit and I am 100% positive is has NOTHING to do with my equipment.

I use a TT router HG633 and a single phone (both plugged directly into the BT Openreach faceplate (the one that requires NO micro filter) and there is no internal extension for the phone.

Can you please go ahead and arrange the engineer visit - thanks.

Also you may wish to pass on the info I posted in my original post to the TT security techs regarding a MITM attack coming from HTTPS://support.talktalk as that is something that needs to be investigated

Thank you for you reply once again Karl

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Hi @dgsection 

The recent Crowdstrike issue has nothing to do with your connection and will certainly not affect your line or your speed.

tests are detecting a possible joint issue on the copper line and this will require an engineer appointment to resolve.

Would you like to arrange this now ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips