cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Router WiFi issues. Only works briefly after resetting.

ryanoreilly
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I have contacted support via Live Chat a number of times regarding our slow WiFi network speed and intermittent connection. We have run through all troubleshooting steps each time and determined the speed is ok going to the router, but with poor WiFi connections speeds to any and all devices. c. 70/80MB/s to router c.5/6MBps to devices. Connection drops out completely regularly. The last Live Chat was over two hours long with no solution. 

There is no issue on the line after checks to this. There are no issues at the home or with the devices. It happens to all devices, anywhere in our home, even right next to the router. Things work for a short time after restarting the router then drop out again. 

I believe the issue is with the router and would like a replacement. I cannot request this through the existing support channels as they run through the same troubleshooting steps, never continuing from where we left off and I'm told I can't request a replacement without these being done. Once done I am still refused this request. I am not willing to go through this lengthy process once more to no avail. Particularly as the last agent disconnected me when they ran out of checks to run with no solution once more, after a 2 hour chat.

We have had this router since our connection at our old home many years ago. I believe it is now defective, not delivering the speed received to the router to our wifi network. I am also a TalkTalk Business customer with one of the newer routers with no issues. I would like to request one of these for our home connection.

We are long term TalkTalk customers at home and through my business and I don't think this is a lot to ask to ensure we receive the service we pay for. How can we do this? 

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi ryanoreilly

I'm glad to hear that the WIFI issues have now been resolved, thanks for letting us know.

Apologies for the issues you experienced reporting this issue prior to contacting the Community. As Gliwmaeden2 has advised, compensation is only applied for total loss of service faults.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Sadly automatic compensation doesn't cover slow speeds:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-your-auto-compensation-credit/ta-p/2326583

ISPs often point to "factors beyond their control" when it comes to wifi issues (rather than speeds to the router), but it's obvious that your previous router was no longer up to the job.

Possibly worth asking for a goodwill gesture? It's more the area for the billing department, whether on this forum, or via Chat / phone support on 03451 720088. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 3 of 14

Received, thank you - it has solved our WiFi issue and we are now getting speeds to our devices as indicated on speed tests to the router. 

I flagged this issue up with support many times since our installation, that our router was very old and due replacement (as evidenced by the response to this thread) and that there was an issue with it delivering a stable WiFi network with reasonable speed. Each time I was forced to go through the same script and checklist of line tests, router resets etc. for as long as two hours at a time, never starting where we left off last time and getting to the source of the issue, and never accepting it was a hardware fault/refusal to refer this to the relevant department for replacement. Twice I was cut off from the support chat without warning when they had ran out of tests to run. 

It was only until I realised people were having more joy solving their issues on this forum rather than the published support channels that our problem was resolved. Until now we have had 6 months, half of our current contract, with an intermittent connection running at 5% of the promised speed. Could you please advise on what compensation TalkTalk can offer for this failure in service and support, or what we can do to request this?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi ryan,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14
0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi @ryanoreilly 

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I have sent you a replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Thanks, I've just updated my profile with this information.

Message 8 of 14

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number or Account number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Michelle

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 14

No, I have already requested them to send you a new router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 10 of 14

Thank you! Do you need any info from me for this?

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

OK, that router is ancient, I'll ask TalkTalk to replace it with the current router. If you still have issues with the replacement, let me know & I will help you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

ryanoreilly
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Hi Keith, thanks for getting back to me. It's a Talk Talk branded router and says Super Router HG635 on the back which I'm assuming is the model number. We've had it for around a decade which is why I was assuming a replacement might be timely and worthwhile to solve our issue.

While the area around us might have some overlap in networks with potential interference, the issue existed prior to our move from a more rural area with no local network overlap. I'd also tried different port settings etc. prior to resetting the router to factory settings, again with no recognisable difference. 

Happy to go through any tests and configuration changes to sort it though as we've been stuck in a loop of doing first stage line checks and factory resets with live chat without digging in to router settings to help solve the issue.

Please send over the guide and I'll run through things today.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Which make/model of router do you have?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes