cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Speed drop 74 Mbs down to 42 Mbs

ukoldgit
Insightful One
Private Message
Message 25 of 25

Could some from TalkTalk please help.

Appx 15mths ago I asked for assistance with speed drop of 74 Mbs down to 62 Mbs, Debbie was kind enough to try and help and the result was nothing could be done as it was still above the miniumum guaranteed speed of 54 Mbs.
Original post is here... Re: Speed drop - TalkTalk Help & Support

Well my speed over the 15 months has continued drop to appx 42 Mbs.
I've tried all the usual things new rj11 lead, new filter, plugged into the master socket, switch the router off for an hour in the hope the DLM will kick in etc

The router shows it's syncing at just over 48 Mbs and download is 42 Mbs.

It is really frustrating to lose nearly 32 Mbs and puts almost another hour on the time it takes to download 60 gb

I'm at the point of looking for an alternative provider who can give me FTTP as one is becoming available soon in my area.

Not that this has anything much to do with it but I've been with Talktalk since well before 2006 when it used to be Freeserve, Wannado and I even think EE had it for a time.

So please could some from TalkTalk help

UK Old Git
0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

That's great news Eddy, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

@Michelle-TalkTalk & @Chris-TalkTalk 

Just an update.

My download speed has now reached just over 72 Mbs which is almost what it was 15 months ago, so good news.

Thank you both for your help.

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 3 of 25

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this and thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 25

Hi Michelle,

Everything seems to be ok at the moment and the line rate speed has increased by about a 1000 Kbps down since it was fixed so perhaps the DLM is actually working now.

I'm getting 67.41 Mbps download and 18.8 Mbps at the PC which is a whole lot better then the 36 Mbps when it wasn't working properly.

So my thanks go to you and Chris for your help.

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats again and the sync speed has increased very slightly. Has everything been ok with your connection?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 25

Morning,

We'll check the speed again in a few days to see if the sync speed has increased any further.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.

I doubt the speed will get much higher then it is, I get the feeling since I had to agree to fibre 65 it's probably capped.

It's at the speed it was on Sept 2021 which was when it started to drop.

Thanks again

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 8 of 25

Hi Eddy,

Glad to hear that the speed has improved, hopefully it will improve a bit further over the next few days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 25

I've done as requested and the speed is now 66.8 Mbs which is better then it was but not the 74 Mbs I had.

Thanks for you help

Regards

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Hi Eddy,

Sync speed is now 71.2 Mbps so can you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

Hi Chris,

I've just had a generic email which more or less states they've fixed the problem and are continuing to monitor the line.

But I'm still only getting just over 39 Mbs, is this likely to improve over the coming days or is there still a underlying problem at the exchange?

Thanks 

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 12 of 25

Message 13 of 25

Thanks Chris,

Looks to me like a problem in the exchange, almost like the speed is being throttled, probably some electronic component failing.

Thanks all your prompt responses.

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 25

Hi,

Line test is now failing so I've raised this as a non-appointed task. Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

Message 15 of 25

Hi Chris

I accept and I've answered the questions as per your PM

I would prefer 1pm to 6pm and should be available Mon-Fri

Thanks for you help, just hope BT are just as helpful

Thanks

Eddy

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

Yes, no problem, can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 25

Hi Chris,

I'm down to 37 Mbs, I think the exchange is about to implode lol

So can when get a engineer organised please. 

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

That's fine, just let us know when you ready

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 25

Can you bear with me for a few days, I definitely want it looked at but might not be around for a few days.

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 20 of 25

OK thanks. As the speed is below the guaranteed minimum connected at the test socket we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes