cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Streaming interference on full fibre

ttrps
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 17

Hi. We recently moved to full fibre (FFTP). It generally works OK, but when I stream TV on my old laptop (2008 build, Windows 10) I get a sort of electronic interference sound every now and then. Does anyone know a way to sort this out please? Is it an issue with the wireless adapter in the old laptop? Many thanks

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

OK. Thanks Keith. I'll have a think about it.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 17

Well, I have hardly looked more than a few lines down the first output to see the problems. The WiFi card only supports up to 802.11g, which is ancient. Today's standards go up to WiFi 7 (802.11be), but WiFi 6 (802.11ax) will be fine, I would not like to say if it is worth getting a USB WiFi 6 adapter or not, because I dare say that the laptop must be very old as well. This would make the operating system out of date & insecure.

The only advice I can responsibly give is to get a new up to date laptop.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 3 of 17

Personal spec of wifi card removed.

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 4 of 17

0 Likes

Private Message TalkTalk

Message 5 of 17

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 17

Search for cmd, open it then enter those commands one by one pressing the Enter key after each one.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Thanks. I'm not sure how to do that. I go into Start>Run and key that in then press OK, but the pop up window instantly disappears.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 17

I can't find the specifications of the laptop. In a Windows command prompt, please can you issue these three commands & get me the output:-

netsh wlan show drivers

netsh wlan show wirelesscapabilities

netsh wlan show interface

Thanks.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Yes it is

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Windows 10 on a Dell Studio 1737 laptop bought in 2008. It just uses Windows Security - I've not downloaded anything else. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 17

Hi @ttrps 

Assuming you are on FullFibre 150, a download speed of 140Mbps is not your problem. It must be the laptop, especially as it is OK with your tablet nearby. You say this is old, what version of Windows is it running & what security software is installed? What model Dell Studio is it?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi ttrps,

When you say that you get speeds of 140Mbps is that running the speed test on the old laptop?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

And I don't get the problem if I watch the same thing on my tablet in the same location.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Thanks Keith. I'm using the eero router and a Dell Studio laptop. I rarely get the problem when watching youtube, but fairly constantly when watching streaming TV from places like iPlayer etc. On fast.com it shows speeds of around 140 Mbps.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 17

Hi @ttrps 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with this. Whilst it might be an issue with the network card, it could be a wireless reception issue as well.

What make/model of router & laptop are you using?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Morning,

Do you have any suggestions please @KeithFrench ?

Thanks

Michelle