cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wifi Hub Black as extender?

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

I'm thinking of  buying a CCTV camera from my NAS provider, as it is fully compatible, needs no licence, and they provide comprehensive surveillance software.

Their cameras are ethernet only.

Looking for a way to connect the camera to my router without running an ethernet cable from an upstairs front room to a downstairs rear room, where my current TP-Link wifi 6 router and Openreach fibre ONT are located.

I have a Talktalk Wifi Hub Black (Huawei DG8041W) which I don't use since I got the TP-Link. I'm wondering if I could configure it as a wi-fi extender, and plug the camera into one of its ethernet connectors. Hoping that would allow me to connect the camera to the TT hub via ethernet, and then via the  hub's wi-fi, to my own router's wi-fi, which is in turn connected via ethernet to the NAS.

Grateful for any advice on whether it's possible and how to configure the hub.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 6

Yes, that will work, I just thought that you wanted to use the Huawei as an extender.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 6

Thanks again Keith. I'm a little confused, though I do understand your explanation of how to connect a second router to my network via Powerline adaptors, to use it as a wi-fi/network extender. The advice in your 2nd reply is exactly what I was originally asking for, but the first reply may be a better solution?
As my only objective is to add an ethernet camera to my network without running wires to my existing router, and I already have good wi-fi coverage, then I think the 2nd router is not needed?
I think I should be able to connect the camera directly to a Powerline adaptor, connect a 2nd Powerline adaptor to my existing router, and the camera will behave as though connected directly to my router via ethernet.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

Not quite.

On the hub extender disable the DHCP server, set it's WiFi SSID & password to the same as your other router., If you might want to use wireless as well. Then set the wireless channels to be different, not forgetting that in the 2.4G band, you can only use 1, 6 or 11. Set the 2.4G bandwidth to 20MHz only.

Then connect them LAN to LAN via the PLAs. Just make sure that the PLAs are connected to the same electrical ring circuit.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

davecm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Keith. I knew you'd have the answer. Powerline adapter is the obvious way to go then, why didn't I think of that? Probably the same reason I've been thinking it's Saturday today😂. Should be just plug and play, in so far as the camera would think it's connected directly to my router via ethernet, when using Powerline.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

You cannot connect the WiFi Hub to another router via Wi-Fi, it must either be via an Ethernet cable or powerline adapters.

Keith

0 Likes