cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wifi channel

steven25
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Ever since I had my new Fibre router (Sage MCOMM) I set the 2.4ghz channel to 6 as the neighbours use 11 - but it keeps changing back to 11.

And on the 5ghz I set it to 60 as the neighbours use 36, but yet again it keeps changing back to 36.

I did this on my last router and you were able to rectify it for me and I would appreciate you doing the same thing again on my new router.

Also the internet speed some nights is dire dropping down to 35mbps - not much use when son is trying to play siege on the PS4

Can you help make it more stable ? and what is my minimum speed?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi steven,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi Steven

I can see that Keith has offered to help.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

No the WiFi power level cannot be turned up.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

steven25
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 8

Channel selection is steady but the Wi Fi coverage is woeful. 

Have set the 2.4 wifi channel to 6 which is different  from the neighbours and the 5ghz channel to 64.

Cant get the 2.4ghz in the next room or upstairs. used to before. Thinking of getting a spare router for upstairs and putting it in bridge mode or consider installing a ceiling mounted access point directly form the internet switch. 

Can the wifi power level from the router be turned up ?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Hi @steven25 

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 8

Hi steven25

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off. It would also be worth powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then running a speed test to see if the speed has increased.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Your minimum speed shows on the graph in My Connection (blue button in Service Status Dashboard) when you take a look at the speeds for the past week, @steven25.

Staff will switch off WiFi optimisation for you, when they pick up your post, during the day. 

You'll need to ask this to be done whenever you do a factory reset of the router or when it gets a firmware upgrade. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.