cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wifi / general service

AntsM
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

Can someone please assist.

I have never experienced such poor service in my life from an internet company.

In South Africa my internet provider supplied my fibre, installed and set up wifi, ensured it reached all the areas I needed it in and that the quality and speed was good.  In areas where it was lacking they suggested and installed extenders and boosters.

I was initially with Hyperoptic - poor service - went over to talk talk - fell for the wonderful promises from admittedly a really good sales rep.  Such a bad decision.

Internet was pathetic - after endless line tests (its all they seem to know how to do) they sent a technician round - fixed the problem.  He being from open reach could not help me with my wifi.

I have wifi - I do not have a technical issue (believe me they checked the line).  The problem is that the wifi is not reaching the areas sufficiently where I need it the most - I have dead spots.  I have installed a booster/extender whatever it is I got off amazon, it seems to make everything worse.  I do not want to purchase something else and waste more money without knowing exactly what it is that I need. 

I recontacted TalkTalk trying to get them to understand my problem but each time they just want to check the line and do factory re-sets.  Each week I try again, same story.  Eventually they said there was a problem on my line and sent a technician round this morning.  He told me there is nothing wrong with my line (he was also informed by TalkTalk that there was nothing wrong with my line - but sent him out anyway charging me 75 pound for nothing)  He again said to me that he cannot assist with my wifi.

I again contacted TalkTalk trying to get across what I need - I have been busy with them the whole morning and now I just give up.

Is there either

a department at TalkTalk that offers a service where someone comes out and determines what sort of booster / extender etc. I need for my specific home and circumstance...

or

Is there a different company offering such services

or 

where / how can I get help?

There is no way to contact TalkTalk besides the chat service and that only helps with technical issues - they cannot answer any other sort of question one might have....... so if I am missing something and there is another way to contact TalkTalk, please help me with that as well.

Please can someone just give me advice / help etc.  I am at my wits end with this company.  I am paying for internet that is arriving at my home but which I cannot utilize properly.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 5

Hi @AntsM 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your WiFi problems.

Please can you tell me what make/model of router and extender(s)/booster(s) you have? Certain types of boosters are not very good & will make the WiFi quality/coverage worse.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 5

Hi @AntsM 

Ok great. Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then check your router and firmware version etc.

Are you using the WIFI hub or eero?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

AntsM
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 5

Hi Debbie

Line to house is working 100%, we have wifi and if we connect directly to the router with lan cable we have no problems.  I live in a townhouse, ground level entrance, first floor where modem and wifi router is has a bedroom and sitting room and rooms on second floor.  We have a lot of devices linked to the wifi and no I cannot disconnect any - I work from home, my son works from home and daughter is homeschooled.  We get 230 megs from the fibre (checked this morning and the technician confirmed it is enough for the home).  The wifi comes and goes, on the second floor its very slow and in my daughters room is very little - almost dead.  At times it just dissapears and we find our phones have gone over to data.  Also tv disconnects or buffers.  We have also noticed that there are nights when we have no wifi after 12 midnight (kids are night owls).

Thanks

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Hi @AntsM 

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can I just check, are wired connections working ok? I just want to make sure this is working ok before we focus on the WIFI issues.

Our Community Star @KeithFrench provides really great advice on improving WIFI performance. Could you help please Keith?

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.  If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.