cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

Wimpy Wifi

cypressmark
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

Can WiFi performance of a router detiorate over time?

Wifi on our router is working, but it doesn't seem to have the reach it used to. In the same room as the router, it's a fast connection, close to the speed for the broadband to the router. In the lounge, sat on the sofa, my laptop barely connects, though it used to be good at the same location. 

Speed tests show that uploading is still at close to max speed, so it's receiving signals from that location OK.

I've checked that there are no obvious obstructions around the router, and we have not constructed any Faraday cages lately.

Suggestions welcome!

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22

Hi Mark

I'm so glad to hear this. If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 22

cypressmark_0-1711655521868.png

Hi Debbie - I don't know if the screenshot is legible, but it says 37 Mbps, so whatever you tweaked seems to have had some effect, thank you!

Message 3 of 22

Hi Mark

Could you try running another test using My Connection please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Yeah, hold off for now as Debbie suggested. What is your guaranteed minimum speed? That is determined by line sync which appears to be 38.3Mbps. Can you not see that on the router interface itself?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi Ferguson,

TalkTalk's own speed test says it's 30 Mbps to the Router (rather than the device). I could plug a device in via Ethernet and see what I get, but at the moment I have been asked to hold off on more testing, so I won't poke it right now - maybe at the weekend.

And I agree that 30 Mbps is not causing me particular issues, but again Talktalk's own testing routines are labeling it 'poor' and that I am not getting my guaranteed speed, so it seems reasonable to query. Or to see if there is a cheaper Fibre 35 package, if that's the speeds it supports!

Thanks,

Mark

0 Likes

Message 6 of 22

Hi Debbie - Router was powered down last night, and back on around 6:45 this morning (27 March). I will try and refrain from pressing any more buttons or speed tests until you tell me!

Thanks,

Mark

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

Hi Mark

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then leave the router switched on (without running any tests on My Connection) until Thursday afternoon.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 22

If the line is in sync at around 38Mbps as Debbie says then a throughput speed of 30 or so is not too bad on a wireless connection to be honest. Do you have any devices you can check with a wired ethernet connection to the router to see how that compares? 

Message 9 of 22

Hi Debbie - it's been showing on TalkTalk speed tests as around 30 Mbs for a while now. It's not causing me a problem, but all the TallkTalk checkers tell me it shpuld be faster than that.

Having run a connection test, the Track my Fault section says "We can see that you're not getting the speeds we'd expect. To help resolve this, you'll need to complete some in home diagnostics tests." It lists reference REP-14137939.

If there's anything specific I need tio check, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Likes

Message 10 of 22

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.

The line is in sync at 38.3mb.

What speeds were you previously receiving?

0 Likes

cypressmark
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 22

Hi - typically speed to the router seems to be around 30 Mbps - in the image posted above it's 31 Mbps, and is listed as 'poor'. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 22

Hi Mark

I'm so glad to hear that the wireless has improved, thanks for letting us know.

Yes please can you return the old router using the pre paid returns bag.

I can look at the speeds for you here. What speed are you receiving on the speed tests?

0 Likes

cypressmark
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 22

Hi,

Router received on Saturday, and we have been trying it out.

WiFi seems to be much improved in this corner of the house, so that issue seems to be solved, thank you.

I assume we should pack up the old router and use the returns label to send it back?

Seperately, the Talktalk speed test suggests we are getting less than guaranteed speeds to our router (both the old one and the new one) - should that be a new thread?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Message 14 of 22
0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

Hi Mark

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 22

Hi Michelle,

Please can we have a replacement router to test?

Thanks,

Mark

Message 17 of 22

Hi Mark,

Thanks for trying this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with? If not then please let us know and we can send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 18 of 22

Hi Michelle,

Router was off overnight to reset.

On testing this evening, speed to my device is 2 Mbps, upload is 5 Mbps.

So, no noticeable change.

Thanks,

Mark

Taltalkspeed.png
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 22

Hi cypressmark,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 22

Good morning,

Have you tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retested the connection again as this will reset the current session and can often increase the throughput speeds and overall performance of the connection?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes