cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Can't connect to 5Ghz wireless

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 54 of 54

I updated to Full Fibre 64 on monday and following installation had a few issues. the first was the telephone wasn't working so the support line had me hard reset the router (Sagecomm Fast5464). That fixed the phone issue but reset my network to use subnet 192.168.1.x rather than 192.168.0.x. Having spent time changing it back I got to the position where bothe 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz were accessible but performance not so great. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with customer support to not much progress. Today I disabled the wifi extender and I got to the point that performance was OK (70Mbits on 5Ghz 30Mbits on 2.4Ghz).

Suddenly this afternoon the modem stopped advertising the 5Ghz SSID (my main SSID that most devices are attached to) but still advertises 2.4Ghz SSID. After multiple power restarts I'm at the point where the 5Ghz SSID is advertised but cannot be joined.

I'm at a loss what to try next, short of a hard reset again

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

Message 1 of 54
0 Likes

Message 2 of 54

Thank you @Chris-TalkTalk

0 Likes

Message 3 of 54

Hi Dennis,

I'm sorry about this. Just ignore the text, you won't be charged but I've put a note on the system anyway explaining the situation.

Chris

Message 4 of 54

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk , @Chris-TalkTalk 

at 16:20 today I received another text from TalkTalk stating:

"Hi, we recently sent you a returns bag to return the router for your cancelled order. Please follow the instructions provided with the bag for us to recycle the equipment and as per our terms please return the equipment to avoid charges".

I haven't cancelled anything.

A replacement router was sent to me and after confirming it part fixed my problem I returned the original router on 27/1/24 and tracking show that it was received by Talktalk. A 266 was sent to me to replace a wifi extender and the old wifi extender was returned to Talktalk on 9/2/24 and tracking shows that Talktalk also received that. I have no other equipment to return.  You had said this was sent in error but the error seems to persist. Is this something that can be sorted by you or do I need to talk to someone else?

Thanks

Dennis

0 Likes

Message 5 of 54

Hi Dennis

I've checked and I'm not sure why you have received this message.

It may be related to the returns bag we sent for returning old equipment but not because you cancelled. I think this message was sent in error, apologies for this.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 54

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I've just received a text from talktalk as follows:

"Hi Dennis, we are sorry that you have cancelled your order with TalkTalk. We can see that you have received a router for your order, to help we have sent you a returns bag......."

I haven't cancelled anything. I returned the faulty router to Talktalk at the end of last week so what is this text about?

Thanks

Dennis

0 Likes

Message 7 of 54

Hi Dennis

I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

@KeithFrench Thanks for all your help 🙂

I have sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 54

Hi @stagecoach 

I am glad to hear that the 266 sorted things for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 9 of 54

Hi @KeithFrench 

I have experimented over this weekend I have the 266 in a spot where the centre light is green and speed in all adjacent rooms is very good. There is only one part of the house where wifi is ok, not brilliant, but my printer is there and it is performing well. Thank you for your help, your guide has helped me a lot.

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk , @Chris-TalkTalk ,

The replacement devices have addressed my issue, thank you for your responsiveness.

Dennis

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 54

That sounds great & the speed test is the biggest indicator that everything is right. However, just keep an eye on the middle light of the 266 to make sure it does not go red. You can also monitor the level of the signal from the 266 on the router. 

The 2.4GHz or the 5Ghz configuration pages can be used to access the Wi-Fi Mesh tab, it is identical from either band.

From the 5GHz band as an example, go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon >
Wi-Fi Mesh

Beneath the Wi-Fi Mesh tab are four other tabs. Look at the Extenders tab, where the Connection Status is shown against the 266, which needs to be good at worse.

A mesh works differently to a router & extender. With the latter, if they use the same channels as each other, they can interfere with each other. If for example, upstairs you got a signal level of say -70dBm from the router downstairs and -60dBm from the extender upstairs, then they will interfere with each other. To get around this you would have to manually alter the output from each device or use different channels. There needs to be a difference between the two of at least 20dB, before they won't interfere with each other on the same channel.

A mesh system like you now have, automatically manages the output level of the router (gateway mesh node) and the 266, so that they no longer interfere.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 11 of 54

Hi @KeithFrench 

I tried moving the 266 to just inside my office. Just outside my office I get a green light on the 266 but just inside I get an orange centre light but I get a brilliant signal inside. 73.75 down 19.5 up.

Did you see any potentialmchannel interference that needs to be addressed?

Thanks

Dennis

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 54

Assuming the 266 is the one with the BSSID (266's MAC address in simple terms) that starts with F4 & F6, then that is not too bad, better than the D-Link. However, you may have to experiment with its location. You want it upstairs, close to where it will be most used. However, the signal from the router needs to be good enough as well. An excellent signal will be shown when the middle light is green, or at worse amber, but never red. Alas, red & amber can look similar.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 54
0 Likes

Message 14 of 54

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

The wifi extender  Sagecom fast 266 arrived yesterday just as I was going out. Thank you.

Installed it this morning and been doing some tests. I have shared initial result with @KeithFrench by PM

Dennis

Message 15 of 54

Hi Dennis

Apologies, this has been ordered and you should receive this within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 16 of 54

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk 

Currently waiting for the wifi extender to come. Any news on this? Has this been ordered?

Thanks

Dennis

0 Likes

Message 17 of 54

Morning,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 18 of 54

Hi @KeithFrench 

I powered off everything in my office and ran a test. I then moved 1m to my left and ran the same test. I will PM you the results. 

Dennis

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 54

Any thing that might block the signal.....

Keith

0 Likes

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 54

Hi @KeithFrench, could a loss of signal be cuased by electrical interference? If so I could power off everything in that room and repeat the tests while I wait for the replacement extender to arrive. Is that worth doing?

Dennis

0 Likes