cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Can't connect to 5Ghz wireless

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 54 of 54

I updated to Full Fibre 64 on monday and following installation had a few issues. the first was the telephone wasn't working so the support line had me hard reset the router (Sagecomm Fast5464). That fixed the phone issue but reset my network to use subnet 192.168.1.x rather than 192.168.0.x. Having spent time changing it back I got to the position where bothe 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz were accessible but performance not so great. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with customer support to not much progress. Today I disabled the wifi extender and I got to the point that performance was OK (70Mbits on 5Ghz 30Mbits on 2.4Ghz).

Suddenly this afternoon the modem stopped advertising the 5Ghz SSID (my main SSID that most devices are attached to) but still advertises 2.4Ghz SSID. After multiple power restarts I'm at the point where the 5Ghz SSID is advertised but cannot be joined.

I'm at a loss what to try next, short of a hard reset again

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
53 REPLIES 53

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 54

Hi @stagecoach 

If you still need help after it has been switched off, please let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 42 of 54

Hi stagecoach

We switch this off on the router, we do this for you. Please let us know once the new router arrives and I will switch the WIFI optimisation off.

"With wifi optimisation off is there a way to check if I'm getting outside interference and which would be the best channel to pick? is this something that @KeithFrench 's guide can help with?"

In answer to your above question, yes Keith can help with this.

0 Likes

Message 43 of 54

Is wifi optimision set on the router or the account? If on the account than can I please request wifi optimisation to be turned off, if the router then please delay until the test router arrives.

With wifi optimisation off is there a way to check if I'm getting outside interference and which would be the best channel to pick? is this something that @KeithFrench 's guide can help with?

Thanks

Dennis

Message 44 of 54

Morning,

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 54

Thanks rgbargey. 

Once I get a stable wireless I'll ask for wifi optimisation to be turned off.

The setup I'm trying to get to is to separate 2.4 and 5GHz into separate SSIDs and have 5GHz as the main SSID. Some devices , well 1 really my printer, doesn't understand 5Ghz so I assign that to 2.4 SSID and everything else to 5GHz . 

As my hub doesn't advertise 5GHz at the moment everything points to the 2.4GHz until the test hub arrives. 

Thanks

Dennis

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 46 of 54

I should have mentioned another useful thing I did. My HUB2 had a big problem working correctly with dual-band devices where both frequencies could connect. If you tell your laptops/devices to "forget" the 2.4GHz SSID, and force them to recognise and connect only on 5GHz, that might improve things.

0 Likes

rgbargey
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 47 of 54

I've had somewhat similar problems and here's what I've found. Even though you've set the 5GHz signal to a particular channel, like 36, then WiFi Optimisation can overrule your setting and jump the channel to a much higher one like 155 (which it did on mine). Then devices like a Roku Stick or Echo Dot can't see the new channel as not all devices are built to recognise the higher channels. If your replacement router behaves in the same way as the original one, it's worth asking TalkTalk (via this community) to disable WiFi Optimisation. You cannot do this yourself via router settings. Disabling WiFi Optimisation will force the router to stay on the channels you set for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Channel 36, 40, 44 & 48 should be visible to all devices.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 48 of 54

Hi Dennis

I've ordered a router to test with, it should be with you within a couple of working days

Chris

0 Likes

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 49 of 54

Been checking I can access every device and encountered an issue with Roku stick. Chalnnel on 5GHz auto selected to 161 which is 1 of the 9 channels supported by Roku but the Roku couldn't see the SSID. Only when I chenged to channel 36 did the roku see it.

Both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz are advertised to my upstairs devices (at extremities of the property) but having connected to each in turn I can't access the internet at all. 

I restarted the router and the powerline switches (upstairs computer is attached to ethernet switch which is attached to powerline which is attached to hub) and now 5GHz is not being advertised at all to anything, even my laptop sitting next to the router.

Hub claims 5GHz is up and assigned to channel 36 but I can't see it.

Second laptop (next to mine) can see 5GHz and attempting to connect asks for password and once entered says that the network can't be joined. 

I'm back to the position I was in yesterday.

Can you please send me a replacement router for testing purposes 

Thanks

Dennis

0 Likes

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 50 of 54

Hi Michelle,

I performed a hard reset on the router (Sagecom fast5464). 

I changed 5GHz SSID to <normal SSID> and changed password

2.4GHz SSID to <normal SSID>24 and changed password

I connected to the 2.4 SSID successfully and had no issues

I tried to connect to the <normal SSID> , which took a while to appear, and it asked for the SSID password and failed to connect and my lapttop reconnected to the 2.4 SSID. Repeated and got the same

Tried on another laptop and got the same.

Rebooted router

turned wifi off then on on my laptop.

2.4 SSID appears immediately and connects.

5Ghz SSID appears about a minute or so later  and I successfully connect to it

ran speedtest and got 74Mbits down, 19.4Mbits up. So far so good

Connected 2nd laptop to 5Ghz and ran speedtest got 75 down, 19.2 up

At this moment I am back to the position I was in. Phone up and OK, performance OK. I don't have any extenders or powerline adapters on yet but I'll monitor .

Is the above sequence unusual (in that I had to perform a reboot to get the 5Ghz available)?

Regards

Dennis

0 Likes

Message 51 of 54

Hi Dennis,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

stagecoach
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 52 of 54

Thank you for your response. Before I do the hard reset I'm going to change my network back to 192.168.1 rather than 192.168.0 and reset my fixed ip address devices. One NAS device is proving rather problematic at the moment since I took out the wifi extender... 

Then I'll hard reset.

Thanks

Dennis

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 53 of 54

Good morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Would it be possible to try resetting the router again please? If this is still happening then we can send a replacement router for testing purposes.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes