cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Fibre 900/200 - Download Speed Capped?

apdqueen1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 10

Morning,

Since 1AM on 8th Feb my download speeds have dropped off a cliff. Was averaging over 900mbps, not anywhere from 30-17-mbs. I use a LinkSys Velop router and I have speedtests being performed every hour on a server that is connected via ethernet.

I have tried swapping over to using the Eero supplied router and whilst that says its connected at over 900mbps, again a speedtest (over wifi) is well below 50mbs.

Now oddly - if I connect via a VPN, my speeds suddenly jump right back up again.

This leads me to believe something is being capped? My upload speeds remain as expected.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dave
9 REPLIES 9

apdqueen1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 1 of 10

Could have sworn I'd replied to my own thread to udpate!

I did get this resolved in the end: it turned out to be something at Openreachs end. They ended up deleting my build profile and re-creating it - no idea what that means - suspect it's what sits on my line to say what speed I can get. The profile did say 900/200, but a deletion and re-creation sorted it. Same issue as others TalkTalk said my line was fine and Eero said my line speeds were fine (although eventually even that dropped off a cliff).

I went through the same pain as the other posters above in trying to get TalkTalk to take me seriously. After spending a similar amount of time going through pointless steps (yes, I have tried changing the ethernet cable, more than once!) I asked to raise a formal complaint. That seemed to get them to move a bit faster where TalkTalk then offered to send one of their own network engineers out (free of charge I might add). At the time I was at the end of my tether and told them that would be pointless and they wouldn't find anything. This was on a Friday for them to come out the following Tuesday. And then magically, on Saturday morning, I got a call from an Openreach engineer who was on their way.

So it sounds like a very similar problem. The Openreach guy had zero clue as to why but he was pretty good, speaking to his second line support on speaker phone so I could hear everything.

So my advice is to ask to raise a formal complaint and push them to get Openreach to resolve it. Good luck 🙂

Dave

Message 2 of 10

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own topic and we'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

csutty987
First Timer
Private Message
Message 3 of 10

Have the same issue, any further info by anyone would be appreciated hugely!

I was getting 900+ in Jan-Feb, no issues at all. Now though, the eero is reporting 900+ down, but any and all devices never get over 300-400Mbps on talktalk.com/speedcheck or in any practical use. 

Running the connection test on the talktalk site results in a fault being found, but then that never gets updated and nothing ever happens, so I contacted talktalk support. I brought this up with support and they have just ignored it completely. Saying "they are not sure about that", because when they run tests they can't find anything wrong.

Tested multiple devices, had a replacement eero shipped and set up, multiple ethernet cables tested, WiFi & ethernet, rebooting & removing eeros, restarting network, etc. Nothing fixes it.

One tech support agent laughably suggested a new ethernet cable just because the one I was using wasn't a tiny 3ft TalkTalk/eero supplied one. The second shipped a replacement eero, that didn't do anything. And the third suggested I was lying about not getting the minimum speed of 700.

I've spent north of 5 hours now talking to talktalk support and the end result is me having to pay £60 for an engineer to come out and try to prove there is nothing wrong with the network.

I really want to cancel my 18month contract and switch to a different provider with no penalty, as I'm not getting the minimum guaranteed speeds on devices for over 30 days. However, I worry that they will be terrible and say "Well from our end it looks like you are getting your minimum speeds because eero and our tests say so, so sorry but you can't cancel without penalty".

Any suggestions or similar experiences appreciated.

0 Likes

OSW34
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 10

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?  I had Fibre 900 installed at the end of January and haven't been able to get speeds over 170MB.  The Eero app states it's sitting at 939/942 but using Speedtest through the TalkTalk Dashboard gets around 170.  I've tried doing the test on wifi next to the eero with a connection speed of 866 and direct through the lan port at 1GB and still the same.  TalkTalk answer was "we'll send you 2nd Eero, that'll boost your speed", but it hasn't (and knew it wouldn't).  When I do the connection test through the dashboard it states "we think there is a problem with your line",  yet they keep telling me the line is fine because the Eero app says over 900. 

Message 5 of 10

Hi apdqueen1,

I'm sorry for the late reply, did you ever get this resolved?

Chris

apdqueen1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 10

Update:

After 3 hours on live chat with a TT rep on Saturday, long and short is I have raised a complaint. Ultimately all they could say is the line looked fine. I have since swapped over my network to using the Eero for when I next speak to TT.

Does anyone have decent networking experience who may be able to shed a light on this? I think I can safely say I have ruled out anything on my side - multiple devices, over wireless/wired connections, multiple speed tests sites - all saying the same thing: very poor download speeds.

I'm a software engineer with 20+ years experience, just not on the networking side! I know I'm going to get continually fobbed off with "but your line is fine" and "the Eero speed tests are fine". Something on the network somewhere doesn't like me! Peering? Network routes? CDNs? Traffic management?

As an example, I can do a wget on my server for say an Ubuntu bistro, and 1 out of 3 attempts I can actually pull it down at 90+ MBs which is great. Similar over wifi (40+ MBs). Then I try again and it drops right back down as it hits a different download server. Yet when I go try say the test download files on thinkbroadband.com, I crawl along at KBs over wifi and a few MBs on ethernet.

Just what on earth gives?! 😞

Cheers.

Dave

apdqueen1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 10

Good idea.

Just done this now with my Mac and the download speed doesn't go above 50mbps. Connect to a VPN and it jumps up to about 350mbs (assume that's just the limit of the VPN).

Also just plugged the Eeero back in and hooked the Mac up with ethernet. The Eero app reports a wired speed of 901mbps yet do a speed test on the Mac and its still below 50mbps (again higher with a VPN).

So what on earth is going on? How can the Eero app say the speed is fine yet any device connected doesn't get anywhere near that but can with a VPN?

Given the fact that a direct connection to the ONT is pants, I'm assuming the issue is outside of my network.

Can a TT bod please take a look? It's very frustrating paying £49 for speeds lower than when I was on ADSL 🙂

Cheers.

Dave

Message 8 of 10

Have you tried connecting the laptop directly via ethernet cable to the ONT to check what speeds you get that way?

apdqueen1
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 9 of 10

Just to add: performing a speed test from within the LinkSys Velop app - it's very poor on the download speeds. Fine on upload. The same tests within the Eero app show 900+ download (fine for upload) so the negotiated speed is fine. Just any device that then connects is not (unless I use a VPN). I'm at an utter loss! The only suspect thing was Zzzoom were all over our estate the past few days laying their own fibre infrastructure. Seems a bit convenient!

I've just tried connecting a laptop via ethernet straight into the Eero and same results - far too slow. Connect via VPN and speeds go up to about 350-450 but that's still about twice as slow as I was getting 2 days ago.

Sad times indeed.

Dave