cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Flashing light on router

Funky-Gibbons
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 98 of 98

I have a Sagemcom FAST 5464 which has only recently been supplied to me following upgrade to full fibre 150, last night I noticed a pixilated stream while watching TV so I checked the router and found the light on the front was flashing white and orange, I have turned off the router for over 30 minutes both last night and this morning but I'm still getting a flashing light, this morning I also turned off the ONT for the same period of time to see if that would make any difference, I also did an automated check on my connection through my account and it came back with a possible fault on the line but after doing the further checks it could not find the problem,  can my connection be checked from your side or is there anything else I can try to resolve it please. 

Ready to learn something new today
0 Likes
97 REPLIES 97

Message 21 of 98

OK thanks. Our system just isn't showing that the telephone is connected. have you tried resetting the router to factory default settings? If not then can you give this a try and retest - Restore your router to factory settings - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 98

Yes that correct

0 Likes

Message 23 of 98

Just to confirm, the telephone is currently connected to the green telephone port on the back of the  router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 24 of 98

OK thanks. I'll take a look at it now and get back to you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 98

Hi Chris, I connected it up a few hours ago after our last messages and left it connected, I have just tried using it now and it still has the dead continuous tone. 

0 Likes

Message 26 of 98

OK thanks. Could you connect your telephone to the phone port of the router now and confirm it still isn't working. If it's not working I'll check my end to see if there's anything I can do

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 98

Hi @Funky-Gibbons 

No worries. I have seen the repeated log entries in one or more other threads in the last few months. I am going to try & collate a list & ask the other customers if they had the flashing light when this happened.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 28 of 98

Thanks for the explanation @KeithFrench , I am not a young person so not brought up on technology but I do try to learn and can in most cases follow instructions so I will turn off the light now.

@Chris-TalkTalk  I just get a continuous tone like a dead line

0 Likes

Message 29 of 98

Hi Funky-Gibbons,

So if your connect your telephone to phone port on the router is just dead?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 98

Hi @Funky-Gibbons 

First off there is a more high-tech solution than using electrical tape over the light, you can just turn it off in the UI, by going to:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 2 > Device Info > Light Control

Now to your log - it has been full of these entries prior to Wi-Fi Optimisation being disabled:-

WiFi security settings have been successfully saved

This is quite normal to see this entry when any WiFi parameter (e.g. a channel change) has occurred because you manually did this in the router. Whenever this happens all WiFi devices on that band (2.4 or 5GHz) temporarily lose connection with that band. However, this can be seamless when done on just one band, if the device is dual-band, it will just connect to the other band.

However, sometimes as in your case, it seems that with WiFi Optimisation enabled, the optimisation process can be very aggressive, changing WiFi parameters on either band quite frequently. This can be seen as many repeated entries of this in the log. If you look back to the 22/11/2023 for instance, this happened around 42 times in that day, including four times at 19:02.

Now I don't know if this is the cause of the flashing light, but it is the cause of interrupted Wi-Fi connections.

Why is Wi-Fi optimisation doing this, in the vast majority of cases it doesn't do this at all. I hardly ever see entry in my logs & optimisation is enabled in my router. I can only presume it is down to Wi-Fi signal quality in your local area changing frequently at certain times of the day & Wi-Fi optimisation keeps trying to rectify this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 31 of 98

@KeithFrench I have attached Hub2 log as requested following the Wi-Fi optimisation being turned off on Friday.

@Chris-TalkTalk & @Debbie-TalkTalk  The lights on my Hub2 are still flashing but I am not having any issues with my speeds or connection and my TV streaming is fine. Not ideal but I will just put some black electric tape over the light as it is annoying!

The problem I am still having is my phone will not register to digital voice using the green port on the hub2, I connected a DVA to one of the ethernet ports on Saturday and it did register and then overnight lost its registration, I rebooted the DVA yesterday and it registered again but this morning it has lost registration once again, I have since rebooted the DVA twice but it still wont register. I tried last Thursday switching off the ONT and the Hub2 for 30 minutes as you suggested but that didn't make any difference. If the issue cannot be resolved is there any way my account can be changed so I can activate the TT app for my calls to get to me? Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 98
0 Likes

Message 33 of 98

Thanks Chris,  I'll see how it goes and feedback 👍 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 98

Hi Funky-Gibbons,

I've just turned it off

Chris

0 Likes

Message 35 of 98

Good morning @Debbie-TalkTalk did the WiFi optimisation get turned off ? If so there has been no change to the flashing light. 

And my phone still has not registered on the hub2,  I did try to download and activate the TalkTalk app last night to try that as an option but my account is still showing as Fibre 65 package rather than the free upgrade to full fibre so I am not able to activate it.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 98

Yes will do Keith 👍

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 98

Hi @Funky-Gibbons 

Mine registered the phone straight away.

When WiFi Optimisation has been turned off, please can you get me a new copy of the log, even if it has fixed the problem?

Keith

Message 38 of 98

Good afternoon @Debbie-TalkTalk 

I have switched my ont and hub2 back on now if you would like to try disabling the WiFi optimisation. 

Additionally as a separate issue, they have been turned on for approx 30 minutes but my phone still hasn't registered,  not sure if it would need longer than this, previously it connected quite quickly. 

0 Likes

Message 39 of 98

Hi Funky-Gibbons

Oh yes sorry, Ok I will keep an eye out for your post.

Message 40 of 98

Hi Debbie, no I have just turned it off as per your earlier post as I have had to go out for an appointment, I will be back early afternoon and will post back when turned on again,.