cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Full Fibre 150 - Using Own Router/OPNsense

Lizzy5660
Visitor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

Hi,

I used to be with Shell Energy and was migrated over to TalkTalk. Currently in the process of upgrading from the VDSL based fibre 65 package to FTTP Full Fiber 150. 

We are currently using the Technicolor DGA0122 in bridge mode connected to our OPNsense box using the supplied PPPoE details, which has been working flawlessly for many years.

Having seen contradicting information online regarding using your own router with Full Fiber packages, I was wondering if anyone has actually had success with this?

Looking through the TalkTalk help section on this topic (Which seems to be aimed more towards FTTC connections), is it just a case of plugging the WAN connection directly to the ONT and changing the WAN connection settings on OPNsense from PPPoE to DHCP?

Thanks.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 9

Double nat is easy to handle if you need to do any port forwarding, other than that, it doesn't really matter.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Ok, no problem. Thank you for the replies.

I guess doing it that way with the Eero would end up in a double NAT situation which I'd like to avoid. Most likely just have to wait and see come installation time and keep everything crossed that it just works.

Would seem strange requiring VLAN 0 on the WAN side as that would seem like it's been set by TalkTalk to discourage users from using their own equipment which isn't great.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

Thanks again @KeithFrench

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 9

I can't really comment on that, because someone got their 3rd party router working (so they told me) with VLAN tagging enabled, but my TT supplied Sagemcom has it disabled.

There is another option, use the eero & disable its WiFi. Then connect one of its ethernet ports to your own router's WAN port & you should be fine, provided that they are on different subnets.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

Many thanks for the reply @KeithFrench, much appreciated.

I believe the connection will be supplied by OpenReach rather than CityFibre so I guess I'm not really going to know for sure until its all installed which is due to be 19/09/24. Hopefully VLAN 0 will not be required as this is a reserved VLAN and unable to be set on OPNsense as far as I'm aware. 

If VLAN tagging does need to be enabled on the WAN side, is this something that can be requested to change for our line profile?

If we are unable to use our own router then I may have to rethink staying with TalkTalk. Our home network is far from the average and the supplied Eero doesn't come anywhere close to the amount of features needed compared to OPNsense. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 9

Hi @Lizzy5660 

The physical connection is easy (WAN to ONT), but the router's WAN configuration may not be, it all depends on your router. My help can only be generic as I do not use my own router at all. Yes it needs to be DHCP, but VLAN tagging is crucial, some people have had success by enabling VLAN tagging on the service side with a Tag value of 0 (might be different in your router). However, in the Sagemcom FAST5464 that TalkTalk supplies, VLAN tagging is disabled.

Another issue could be the full fibre line profile might be incorrectly set, especially if your Full Fibre is supplied by CityFibre. @Michelle-TalkTalk will be able to help you with that.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Michelle-TalkTalk I will try and help @Lizzy5660 later today.

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 8 of 9

Good morning,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes