cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Full Fibre 150 installed yesterday

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 31 of 31

Hi folk, I hope someone can help this 79 year old understand why when I had fibre 65 copper wired to my house I had better wifi all over the house than I do now I have full fibre.

Yes I do have 150mb download speed in my lounge but everywhere else it drops down to it's lowest reading of 1.4mb in my conservatory where my wife sits in the afternoons. With my fibre 65 I used to get around 32mb speed in the conservatory - now it's virtually nothing and makes it impossible for her to watch anything.

Any comments appreciated, thank you.

Barrowman
0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 31

Thank you Ferguson.

No I Have'nt.

I've just tried that with my seven year old laptop but I guess thats not up to the job, it only recorded 38Mbps. I don't have a

phone port on my laptop so I will get my son to come over again with his newer laptop tonight hopefully, and we will do

another wired test. 

Thanks again for your intervention...   Kind Regards

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

Have you tried a wired test directly connected to the ONT i.e. bypassing the eero completely?

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 31

If as you say your tests there have proved okay then its obvious to me the fault must be in my home so, if the fault lies

in my eero or the wall box it's connected to or any associated wirering then I have to pay for it.

I've an idea - I cannot afford to pay for an engineer visit so lets just forget about it and I'll just put up with it untill my

contract finishes,

Goodbye.

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

Hi

Engineer charges will only apply if there is no fault, and it is the customers own equipment that is at fault, or something within the home.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 31

Hi

I don't understand what your saying, tested with my old hub and with two eero's, I've returned my old hub (router) to you

as requested so all my tests have been through eero's.

I've now got four speed test apps and not one of them is giving me anything like it should be.

With regard to an engineer call, is this going to cost me as I cannot afford to pay for it? 

Regards

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 6 of 31

Hi

As tests are passing here, and you have tested with different equipment including your old Hub and 2 eero devices, the next option is to progress towards an engineer.

Would you like to arrange this ?

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 31

Morning back to you.

It was a wired test onto the eero router...

Regards

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

Morning,

Thank you for the update. Can I just confirm, was this a wired speed test directly at the ONT with the router removed or a wired speed test at the router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 31

Hi Karl

Okay, I had my son come over this evening and we carried out wired test four times over a period of one hour, the results 

were between (download speeds) 38 Mbps and the best was 81 Mbps. The upload speed since having fibre have been

a constant 28/29 Mbps which is roughly double what I had with the copper cable.

It just makes no sense that for the first week of having fibre it was a constant 150/151 Mbps.

Regards.

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Hi

This could be a limitation of wireless, or the speed of the wireless receiver in your devices.  Do you not know anyone nearby that could help you test wired, with a laptop etc ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

Okay, I've turned everything off for 45 minutes and done four speedtests and its now steady in the 80's Mbps but that is still

a long way short of the 150 Mbps I should be getting on my new package!

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the upload speed, this has remained a constant 29 Mbps since fibre was installed

it's just the downlosd speed that has dropped significantly. 

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Hi

The ONT is the little box with the lights on that Openreach installed. It will usually have labels such as LOS , PON, etc on the top.

The main light to worry about is LOS (Loss Of Service).  If this ever turns red, then there is a fault outside.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 31

What is an ONT?

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 14 of 31

Hi

Can you power off all equipment for 30 minutes, including the ONT, to reset the session.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 31

So the question is, what can we do about this?

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 16 of 31

Hi

Yes, speed tests sites are a little like weather reports, they all differ slightly 🙂

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 31

Thank you for that info Karl.

As a matter of interest I have just done another speed test on Sam Knows, 37.3 Mbps and also on TT, 33.3 Mbps. I also use Ookla

and that showed 41 .03 Mbps so there's not a lot between them.

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Hi

No Problem.  Speed issues can be so difficult to pin down. You have to remember, there are actually to sides to the system, so when troubleshooting speed issues, we have the speed to the router, so thats the speed down the line to your home, then there is the speed from the device (router) to your device, phone, laptop etc.

This is why we often ask to test a wired connection to see if the speed being delivered is correct.  

But it doesn't stop there, speed test sites themselves can vary, so it's always good to try a couple.  Sam Knows is usually as reliable as most.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Barrowman
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 31

Morning Karl.

I’ve tried Sam knows Speedtest and the results were a bit better today.

96.7Mbps 96.5, 97.6, 77.7 and 92.6.

Unfortunately I don’t know how to do a wired connection as I don’t have a suitable cable, I can’t see where to plug it into on eero or my laptop if I had one anyway.

I’m having to post this using my phone as I have only been able to login on my laptop once today it keeps saying “unable to access this information please try again later”.

Thank you for your patience with this 79 year old fella.

Barrowman
0 Likes

Message 20 of 31

Hi

Can you try some wired speed tests via Sam Knows Speedtest  

See how these compare to speed tests over wifi, to see if it is a wifi issue.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes