cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Grandstream VOIP adapter does not connect after power off

Carpet_01
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 6

Hi.

We've had TalkTalk full fibre with Eero hub / Grandstream VOIP adapter for nearly a year now and it usually runs very well, however there is an issue with the phone line connecting after a power off - either an intentional shutdown of the full system or a power outage.

What I have found is that when all of the system is powered on at the same time (fibre connection box / Eero / Grandstream) we get a phone error that says it cannot connect. I can sort it by powering off just the Grandstream and then powering it back on again, after which the phone connects fine (I've half a memory - possibly imagined - of boot sequencing being mentioned when we had the system installed??)

My uneducated guess is that the Grandstream re-boots faster than the Eero (and maybe also the connection box), cannot find a phone line connection when it has completed re-boot due to the absence of an internet connection, and then gives up! Restarting the Grandstream after the Eero has started makes the connection visible.

- Is this a known issue?

- If so, is there some firmware update which can be applied to the Grandstream to encourage it to keep trying to find a connection after re-boot?

It's not an impossible problem, but it's a real faff having to grope around behind furniture to power off the Grandstream on it's own (it runs on a common extension lead with the Eero).

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hey, I understand, the simple solutions sometimes work, except when they don't.  🙂

Message 2 of 6

Hi Ferguson. Thanks for getting in touch and offering help.

That's a good idea which did occur to me - but unfortunately for various reasons the Grandstream is almost as inaccessible as it's power socket :+(

In common to many others, the "old" copper wire phone came in to the hall and made for a simple installation (hard wired phone / cabled extensions / WiFi router). For logistical reasons that I won't bore you with, but which I suspect may again be common with other people, the fibre optic has had to come into the living room which is rather full of furniture, meaning that elegant access to all the sockets and real estate for locating the ONT / Eero / Grandstream is restricted.

I'll look at what I can do with moving things around - but I still have the opinion that the whole "reboot this then that" process could be confusing for older people who may be stressed enough with a power outage and I'd have thought should be fixable with s/w?? But that's just me being a bit Victor Meldrew  :+).

Thanks again - I do appreciate everyone's help and support.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 6

You could just unplug the power cable from the back of the Grandstream ...?  😉

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Good afternoon Karl,

Thank you for the fast and clear reply. I guess that is what I was expecting, but it is a faff having to mess around with restarting the Grandstream after power outages - it's not that often it happens but is a pain when I have to do it and I can imagine it causing my elderly mother in law immense confusion if / when she is migrated away from copper.

I am absolutely NOT an IT or Software person, but I can't help feeling it can't be impossible for the software in the Grandstream to be told to have another look for a connection if it can't find one initially after being switched on? If you ever get the chance to feedback issues / suggestions perhaps you could mention it?

Anyway, thanks again for the fast reply - for now I'll just have to try to find a way of connecting the Grandstream power more accessibly, a bit of a challenge due to the 3 separate connections required for the ONT + Eero + Grandstream .....

Cheers. 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi

The Grandstream will start up quicker and look for a connection first.  The other equipment, the ONT then eero will be negotiating a connection with the server and make take a fraction longer to establish a connection.

This is normal and the equipment should be started in sequence with the grandstream started up when the ONT / EERO are running and online.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.