cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

I have bought a new router, do I still need the old one?

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

I am on full fibre at 160 Mb/s. Mostly I'm OK with the speed, however I have suffered from frequent WiFi outages that were determined in another thread to be caused by frequent kernel panics, leading to router crashes and resets. A replacement router from TalkTalk did not fix the problem. (It only created new problems.) So in desperation, I opted to buy a router of my own. The router I chose is the very popular and very highly rated TP-Link AC1200 on Amazon. You can see this here:

http://tinyurl.com/yw7al8el

However, the most recent TalkTalk router I have also came with a separate white box, which also somewhat resembles a router, but with fewer LAN ports (it has only one I think). The TalkTalk router then connects to this to my fibre connection. I'm not 100% clear how it all works (although I would like to know). But my question is now that I have this new router, do I still need the router (not the white box, which I'm guessing is essential?) that has been supplied by TalkTalk? This router is a dual router/modem, but is it only the router part of the set-up that is being used in this case? Can I simply replace this with my own router?

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 18

The age, or relative specifications of the router are irrelevant. It serves a purpose, and that purpose is specific to me and meets my needs. Yes I got it working. But unfortunately not in any configuration without the TT router. I've configured hundreds of routers over the last 27 years. So it's fair to say I know what I'm doing. But since the settings on the TT router are so basic and are so tightly locked down, I can't figure out what settings in the TT router need to be matched in my new router. I don't like the idea of TT having full access to my router (and potentially my network too for that matter), or anyone else who might care to take a peek. So it's as much about securing my own privacy as it is about having full control over my own equipment - and having an easy life should I wish to change ISP's, (who may require me to also use their equipment), with regard to walling off my rather large collection of IOT/Smart Home devices from the wider network. It makes sense to me, although I have the impression that you somehow don't approve. Which is a little odd to be fair. 😛

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

@jebus1967 

Anyway, have you managed to get your new router up and running?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 18

@jebus1967 

You still haven't said what problems? And you have hardly future-proofed yourself with that cheap router.

@bigkenny 

Except in this case the router chosen is inferior in specs to the TalkTalk Hub.

0 Likes

bigkenny
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 18

If you get something for nothing as in a TT router with the package your on its not going to be as good as a bought in the shops router which will have better specs and have no items locked down as TT routers do.

Since I got my own router some years ago. I`ve never looked back I keep the TT router as a backup only.  You get what you pay for and I would sooner have smooth internet connection with no problems than muck about with free hand outs.

0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 18

Because as time progresses and technology changes, I occasionally get a new router, or a new ISP. This happened recently with the latest TT router. TT sent me this router in an effort to resolve my problems. But changing routers can lead to unforeseen problems, as it did on this occasion. So next time I change router or ISP, I just want it to be a case of swapping out the new router and having all my IOT devices just work. No issues. It's pretty simple really.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 18

OK, I'm not sure what you mean by "isolating" your IOT devices and how you would achieve this by a change of router? For sure, the Sagemcom interface is a bit basic, but what is it you want, exactly? 

0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 18

I have the Sagemecom I believe. It isn't about being better specced. It's about isolating my IOT devices from the rest of the network, so that I don't need to go through the same nightmare again. I also don't like that TalkTalk appear to have dumbed down the advanced settings in this latest iteration of their router.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

You may need to change some of your new router settings to get the connection from the modem, You will probably need to reach out directly to the device maker for help with that.

Which TalkTalk Hub do you have, specifically? I have the Sagemecom 5464 and it works just fine with excellent wireless coverage. At AC-2200 it is better specced than the AC-1200 of your TP-Link. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way. If I try a direct connection to the G.fast modem by connecting the LAN cable from this to the WAN (red) port of my new router, I get no internet. I tested this extensively. But if I run a non-WAN cable from the new router to a non-WAN port on the TalkTalk router I can get internet on the new router. The problem is I now have 3 boxes to facilitate my network needs. I hoped at the most to have only 2.

The problem I have been trying to solve, is that a TalkTalk firmware upgrade a few weeks ago, knocked several of my smart home IOT devices off the network, leading to a 3 week nightmare where I tried first to firefight and then ended up in even more of a muddle with all 46 of my smart home/IOT devices knocked off the network. So I wanted to isolate my IOT devices from the main network, so that in future firmware upgrades and even swapping out routers (except of course my most recent router) will have no effect on any of my connected devices.

But is there something I'm missing where maybe I could still ditch the TT router? (I don't mean throw it away, I mean put it in storage.)

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

OK thanks. The white box will be the G.fast modem, you'll need to connect the new router to the G.fast modem

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Yes it does.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Hi jebus1967,

It looks as though you are on the G.Fast service, does the white box say Openreach on it?

Chris

0 Likes

jebus1967
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 18

I have no idea. When I signed up, the deal was for 'full fibre'.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

I don't have a lot of choice. TT aren't offering any viable solutions.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 18

@jebus1967, a word of caution with third party equipment. Talktalk has no liability in these instances:

20240113_153331.jpg

20240113_153233.jpg

Paragraph 13.2.f: Talk has no responsibility for....

20240113_155647.jpg

Check the Ts&Cs, linked at the foot of any TT page. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

@jebus1967 

You say "Full Fibre," but do you mean FTTP, or G.fast? It would be good to establish whether the "white box" you mention is in an Optical Network terminal (ONT), or modem. Either way, presumably your TalkTalk router is currently connected via that, so you should essentially replicate that set up with your new unit. 

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Hi @jebus1967 the only way to see is suck it and see. You have bought a router so you will need something between it and the incoming fibre. It could be you need the white box, it could be you need the box and the TT modem/router, or even all the above and your router.

It will be nigh on impossible to break anything just by trying to use it! 

Whatever you do don't dispose of any TT kit. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes