cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Initial Latency connection issue with Sagemon router and Full Fibre

techsavy
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 26

Since being swapped from the Fibre 65 (copper connection) to Full Fibre 65 in September, I have been experiencing a serious latency issue when first connecting to the new Sagemon supplied router. The issue has been reported to Talk Talk without any resolution. Exact same devices, same location just router swapped from Huawei to Sagemon and Copper to Full Fibre. 

Can Talk Talk please advise whether they have me on Wifi-optimisation at their end?  I have moved to the least congested channel in the area and then overnight I can see that my router is being accessed and I am being moved to the most congested channel in the area.

The latency issue is not related to the congestion as when I move to an uncongested channel I obvisouly get improved speed but still have this initial latency issue. 

Router has been reset many times and two routers have already been tried.

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

Message 1 of 26

Hi techsavy,

I'm sorry that we have been unable to resolve this issue for you, it must be disappointing. I know it doesn't help you but it is really unusual for an issue to get to this stage. I can certainly understand if you decide to move to another provider. Unfortunately we can't really help any further with this issue but if you need help with anything else please let us know

Chris

0 Likes

techsavy
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 26

Hi Chris,

The Openreach engineer came out and could clearly see that I had an issue with Latency causing buffering and packet loss. He spoke to senior manager's within Openreach who have requested Talk Talk to check their head end at the local Exchange. Having spent a month of doing tests Tracerts and Pings and submitting evidence of Latency sadly to your Case Management Department, your CEO's Office has decided to shut the case down again with the only option being to leave Talk Talk or go to CISAS. It is very sad that a company takes someone's money for 6 months knowing full well there is an issue and despite Openreach having helped to identify where the issue is that Talk Talk now simply issue another Deadlock letter.. and refuse to provide support. I have vulnerable people within my household so the telephone lineinteret is required and a working one at that. It appears that Talk Talk sadly do not care, apart from taking people's money. At least the community department at Talk Talk tried to help by getting the WIFI optimisation switched off, given no one else could, but the CEO's office is appauling. So Chris thank you for your help and the other community people. I think Talk Talk needs to take a look at how it is dealing with customers that have issues in your other departments Case Management, Complaints, Full Fibre and CEO's Office. There is certainly no co-ordination between them.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 26

Thanks for the update, hopefully the Openreach engineer will be able to resolve the issue. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 26

Hi Chris,

Hi Chris,

Sorry I did reply to the email yesterday, but it didn't post the response here. Sadly no I still have the same issue of latency and buffering even when connected directly to the ONT. Ollie asked me to keep logs of bandwidth and latency over the weekend which I did, since Openreach have put in a new ONT on Friday.

.Ollie was going to phone back 4-5pm yesterday, but as he was not in, hence another gentleman phoned back to take the figures. He arranged for Openreach to come back tomorrow Wednesday 14th. Tony from Openreach phoned today to advise an engineer would look into the issues tomorrow more in depth at their end. However, your CEO's office has now gone and closed the case down. However, I hope Openreach will still come tomorrow?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 26

Hi techsavy,

Just to confirm, has there been any improvement at all over the weekend?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 26

Afternoon Michelle,

I didn't hear from Talk Talk but I had a phone call on my mobile from Openreach yesterday to advise that an engineer was coming out today as booked. Obviously the booking hadn't been made with myself from Talk Talk but I arranged to be at my house today. The engineer I spoke to on the phone seemed very good and understood the issue I was experiencing.  However, the actual engineer that turned up hadn't been told what the problem was again, he changed the ONT over but hadn't apparently been told to change the fibre to the ONT. Eventually, after lots of persuasion he did change the fibre cable to the ONT.

Unfortunately this has not resolved the issue. There is still a latency issue on my devices, so this needs investigating further from your end as to what is causing the latency and buffering. Do you have an issue with the Servers at Talk Talk? at the moment as I have been trying to access the Fault Details on my account, but then that just constantly buffers too and this is trying to access it on my parents computers, also with Talk Talk.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 26

Morning,

I'm really sorry. I've chased the team for an update now.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 8 of 26

Morning Michelle,

No sadly I have not been contacted by anyone at all again. Many people on the internet are having the same problem I am having and other companies have had the ONT swapped and this has resolved their issues. Given BT were with me last Friday it seems crazy that they had an ONT sent out that this was not switched over.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 26

Morning,

Have you been contacted by the team since my last post?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 10 of 26

Good afternoon,

No problem. If you don't hear anymore from the team by tomorrow then please let me know.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 11 of 26

Michelle, Thank you, I look forward to this issue being finally resolved.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 26

Morning,

I've passed this over to our Faults Escalation Team now and I will post back as soon as I receive an update. It's possible that the team may also try and contact you directly.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 13 of 26

Afternoon Chris,

The ONT has just been off for another half an hour. On reconnection it gave 74Mbs then dropped 2 minutes later to 47Mbs. 

The speeds as I have said before can read fine but this issue of latency is on initial connection and login to a website. It occurs both on ethernet and wi-fi and can be seen also when my laptop is connected directly to the ONT. 

As someone that has worked in IT for 30 years this looks like either an issue with light leakage from the bend in the ONT Cable as it is a very sharp bend that has been put in the cable due to the clip the engineer has used, or an issue with the ONT or at the exchange.  The engineer that came to move the cable stuck in the door on Friday, was sent a replacment ONT but he said he could not fit it as Talk Talk have not raised the request.

Please can this be raised as it could well resolve an issue that has gone on unresolved since September. It is obvviously not a router issue as the issue occurs when connected directly to the ONT.

I would be grateful if this can be raised so the Openreach engineer can swap the ONT and cable. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 26

Hi techsavy,

What are your speed test results like now?

Chris

0 Likes

techsavy
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 26

Michelle,

Thanks for switching off the WIFI-Optimasation, that should resolve my one issue.

Yes, I have tried powering down the ONT - the issue just does not go away. Hence I think it is either an issue with the ONT itself or a light leakage issue with the cable that causes the latency or an issue at the exchange. Openreach came on Friday to move a cable that was stuck in a door frame. They had been given a ONT but were not allowed to replace it saying the fault has not been rasied by Talk Talk but Talk Talk have been aware of my issue since installation in September 23. Please can I kindly ask you to raise the issue with Openreach to allow them to swap over the ONT and the cable. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 26

Hi again,

Thanks for the additional information. Have you also tried powering down the ONT for a full 30 minutes? We have also switched the wifi optimisation off as requested.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 17 of 26

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for coming back to me. The speed on the line from running a speed test can show fine. However, this is a latency issue when initially making connection to a website. You get the spinning circle which can go on for some considerable time. It is all the time not any particular times of the day. It has been like this since September and has been reported to Talk Talk many times without any resolution. Talk sent out a replacement router for me to test but this has the exact same issue, but as I explained to Fibre Support this happens on an Ethernet connection as well as wireless, so it is not a router wireless issue. When I had the Huewai router and copper connection I had no issues, this is all since being swapped to Full Fibre.

Having plugged directly into the ONT with my laptop I still have the same issue. Therefore this would appear not be the router that is in any way causing an issue.

I think there is a possible issue with the ONT or the cable from the ONT to the Grey wire housing box with light leakage or an issue at the exchange. There are no warning lights on the ONT but this could be a dirty connection or cable bend with some light leakage (causing lag). The cable has been tacked onto my wall by the orginal engineer and has quite a sharp bend because of this.

I have asked Openreach if they can swap over the ONT and the cable to the Grey Box but you need to raise the issue with them for them to be able to do this. Thanks

My second issue is that please can the WIFI optimisation be switched off at your end as each night I am swapped over to the most congested channels in my area not the least congested which is then creating a speed issue at my end.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 26

Morning,

We've run a test on your line which is clear. Does this seem to happen at specific times or all the time? How do your speeds look if you run a speed test at the same time? I can see that you've advised that this happens when connected wired at the router but does it also happen if you connect directly at the ONT?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 26

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

The customer has since told me that the latency issue affects Ethernet connections as well. Please could you take a look?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 26

Hi techsavy

Apologies for this. I've switched off WIFI optimisation for you.

Thanks @KeithFrench 

0 Likes