cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

When you remove our copper connection

Anttut1
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 4

I am struggling to get an answer about the one hour battery back up for fibre.

You will soon be tired of me telling you that we get several power cuts a year as long as 11 hours in a couple of instances. None of the four mobile networks can provide a reliable indoor service for 999 calls. I have even uploaded a photo to you to demonstrate this.

I suppose you will offer us the one hour back up battery when we move over.

If we become aware of a power cut we will only use the router for phone calls and nothing else.

So some sort of statistics would be useful. 

If we make just 10 minutes worth of calls over say a five hour power cut, how long is the back up battery likely to last?

If no calls are made at all how long will it be before the router drains the battery?

This is an all too possible scenario:

We go to bed at 23.00.

A power cut happens at 6.00

Will the router have drained the battery by then?

My wife and I believe that we need to  be able to make calls for up to twelve hours in a power cut.

I understand that you TT operatives at the coalface may not be able to answer much of this, but I'm sure someone in your organization could at least offer up intelligent estimates.

Will the router draw a lot of the one hour back up capacity and how fast?

If you really can't help, who makes the battery back ups and who can I contact to ask directly?

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

I don't have great mobile cover either, @Anttut1. Hence unable to make phone calls when wifi calling wasn't working because of what turns out to have been an issue with the router firmware...for over six weeks, till I tracked down what was going on.

But I could still have called out on the mobile phone to 999..... I usually get enough signal just to make contact.

You really are only going to have to reach out in an emergency. We have countless power cuts where people just get on with other things.

But nobody's pretending it's not a serious matter.

Everyone needs to organise their own emergency plans - reliable neighbours, keyholders etc. Contingency planning.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Anttut1
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

So in our case without indoor mobile cover its outside or up in the loft whilst the loved one is in shock, bleeding out of reach of first aid.

Thank you for the article, I saw it a few days ago and looked at some of the links to battery back ups on sale. I got as far as the unit priced £500!

We have always kept two cabled phones plus a DECT set. It seems to me that if we want to be super cautious and safe the ISPS may be expecting us to fork out battery money that we have never needed to spend in the past.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Probably not long at all - enough to make preliminary calls to the emergency services. It depends on too many variables, but the conclusion in this article is "be prepared":

It's worth reading through to the recommendations at the end.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/solutions-for-battery-backup-of-fibre-broadband-and-vo...

It's obviously a worry for many, many people - regardless of vulnerability. Always keep a mobile charged up, basically, in addition to any VOIP handset.

A good smartphone usually keeps its charge for a couple of days with restrained use.

I wouldn't depend on a back up battery alone, @Anttut1.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes