cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Your Wi-Fi latency has been high for this device

ThortheMerciless
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 20

Checking 'my devices' it says this about our TV. What does this mean? Is it just a poor wifi connection, or does it indicate anything more? The TV is only about 20' from the router, although there are a couple of walls in the way.

Perhaps this is related to the fact that I cannot seem to set up 5GHz Wifi on the router? The router says it's on and visible, but none of my devices can see it.

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 20

I would not rely on that part of the MyConnection website as there are some issues with it.

However, looking at what it says, I do think that WiFi interference, or simply optimising your WiFi network should be done.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference. It is quite long (about 30 pages), but you will probably only need to look at three or four pages in total. Initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This is the first link in the table of contents. This section includes full details of free Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Select the analyser of your choice & my guide explains how to use it. Collect the screenshots that I require and include them in your reply. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please as they can be difficult to read, because the text can get out of focus when zoomed in. Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Yes, I know how to see devices on the router. I was talking about on the TalkTalk website. That's where the latency message came from. I just checked and now I seem to have more issues than before:

A6:AC:4A:3C:E8:EA Sometimes struggles to connect to Wi-Fi ( no idea what this is)
E8:4C:4A:86:ED:1E Sometimes struggles to connect to Wi-Fi (no idea what this is)
AA:92:54:E8:09:B2 This device has 2 issues - it not only struggles to connect, it allegedly over uses broadband download speed (I believe this is my wife's iPad; she has been doing a lot of stuff with our daughter's wedding pictures). This device is on 5GHz.
AMAZON-1576E4D5D Sometimes struggles to connect to Wi-Fi (this is possibly my Echo Dot, which is upstairs). This device is also on 5GHz.
16:65:CB:BE:A6:F0 Sometimes struggles to connect to Wi-Fi (no idea what this is)
48:B4:23:E0:45:EA Is facing latency issues (this might be my Echo Studio, which is at the far end of the kitchen)
[TV] SAMSUNG 7 SERIES (40) Is facing latency issues (the original problem)

I have no idea what 3 of these are. It's possible that they are my son and wife's devices when they visited us a couple of times.

Please do send me your guide, as I hope it can help sort these issues. Note that I have read the TalkTalk top tips and these are already done (like up to date software), impossible to improve (like the router position), or impractical (like disconnecting devices - does anybody do this?).

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 20

If you just want to update the devices shown on the router, you can easily do that yourself. Just go into Manage advanced settings on the router & a list of your currently connected devices will be seen. Click on each one & set a friendly name & update the icon as required.

Would you like me to send you my guide on dealing with WiFi interference & optimising your WiFi?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 20

I rather suspected that to be the case. Hopefully moving several other devices to 5Ghz will enable the TV to get more bandwidth? How soon can I expect "my devices" to update, so I can see?

I guess that the only alternative is to get some sort of booster?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 20

HI @ThortheMerciless 

From what I can find out it is 2.4GHz only, working up to 802.11n, so that would account for it not detecting the 5GHz band.

Keith

Message 6 of 20

The manual says it's a Samsung UHD 7 series. It's about 5 years old.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 20

Channel 36 is fine. What make/model of TV is it & I will see what I can find out?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

It's using channel 36. It just defaulted to that.

P.S. The TV cannot see the 5GHz, so I guess it's not compatible.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 20

Hi @ThortheMerciless 

The 5364 will broadcast a hidden network from time to time and you will not be able to connect to that. The purpose of the hidden network is for when it is used in conjunction with the Sagemcom FAST266, which turns the router & 266 into a mesh network. What WiFi channel is your 5GHz band now using?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

OK, I've reset and then I renamed the 5GHz SSID, but it still didn't show up. However, when I put in the new name and password into Other Wifi it told me that I was accessing a "Hidden Network". It definitely works and is noticeably faster - but why is it hidden?

I was able to connect my Surface Pro with no problem to 5Ghz, but my Echo Studio doesn't want to know, as yet.

The 'hidden' seems to have disappeared, so I guess it is working. I'll update on the TV situation when I change that.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Been busy, will do it tomorrow. Want a bit of time as will have to reconnect a lot of things, like Hives, Echoes, Ovens, TV, etc. etc.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

Hi ThortheMerciless,

How are you getting on?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Morning,

We'll check back in with you tomorrow to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

I've hardly touched it apart from changing the name of the 5GHz so it was one digit different from the 2.4GHz. So hopefully it won't need anything doing.

Out for the rest of today, so will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks.

P.S. I see that  this problem has been known about for over a year. Surely there should have been a firmware update by now?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 20

When you reset it, it will connect to the internet OK. However, anything that you have changed subsequently will need to be re-entered by yourself. This might include:-

• Router (admin) password
  • WiFi network name (SSID)
  • WiFi password

Beyond that, it is impossible to know what you have set up previously. However, I will help you with anything that you are unsure of when it comes to re-configuring the router.

Keith

Message 16 of 20

No, I never touched it until I was looking at why the WiFi was problematical. Now I understand the naming scheme, based on the back it is a FAST 5364-3. TB

So if I do a factory reset, do I need to do anything afterwards to get it running again? Do I need to note anything down before the reset?

P.S. I had a quick look at posts on the bug, but mine is shown as ON and UP.

I also notice that the 2.4GHz is set at 802.11b+g+2 and 20MHz, while the 5GHz is 802.11a+n+ac and 80MHz

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 20

Ok thanks for the info, you have either the Sagemcom FAST5364 or 5464.

Have you disabled the 5GHz band temporarily at all? There is a bug in this firmware that if you have, on re-enabling it, it will no longer work correctly. The only workaround is to do a factory reset on the router. Even if you have not disabled it, this would be the next logical step to perform.

Keith

ThortheMerciless
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 20

Not sure how I tell the make/model of the TalkTalk Router, but inside the WiFi-Hub it says, "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub
version SG4K100174". Below is a screenshot of what the WiFi shows, but none of my devices can see the 5GHz signal. The only light showing on the router is the bright white light at the front.

WiFi.png

 Note that this router is a replacement for the previous (light stopped working) and with that most of my devices were connected to the 5GHz wifi. It's in the exact same place as previously, which is my desk. My desktop computer is connected by ethernet and that connection appears fine - when I've tested speeds they are pretty much what I'd expect.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 20

Do your devices all support the 5GHz band? It does sound like poor wireless reception, with which, I can help a lot.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers a lot more from interference than the much faster 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith