Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Cannot receive incoming calls

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
First Timer

Internet is fine, I have a dial tone and can make outgoing calls, however for a few weeks now if I try to ring my landline from my mobile, or someone else tries to ring, the caller hears one or two rings, a sound as if the call is answered (a kind of rustle) and then the call drops. At the landline end, I hear nothing whatsoever.

A line check in my online account doesn't return any issues. I have tried with several different handsets, and plugged into the master socket, all with no change. Calling 17070 gives my correct number. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @sjmagorrian welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during tomorrow. I have no idea how to solve your problem but the excellent oce team will. 

The community is very busy, what took minutes can take hours. Be patient, avoid multiple posts and stay healthy, please.
Highlighted
Community Team
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi @sjmagorrian

We have requested an engineer to go out to the exchange in the next 48 hours. 

We can check the fault ticket on Thursday for an update

Regards

Highlighted
First Timer

Thanks for your help - I've also had an email today from TalkTalk asking me to ring to book an appointment for an engineer to come to my home. I intend to wait to see what happens with the visit to the exchange before arranging a home visit.

Highlighted
First Timer

Strike that - just tested an incoming call now, and it's working nicely for the first time in a month or so - has something been done at the exchange already?

(I did have a message from TalkTalk "We're sorry our engineer wasn't able to resolve your service issue. This has been escalated and we'll be in touch with the next steps as soon as possible.")

Highlighted
First Timer

Sorry for all these replies, actually it's not fixed, just tested again and the problem is back.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi @sjmagorrian

I would suggest following the instructions and contacting our faults team to arrange a Home visit. 

Highlighted
First Timer

I booked an appointment on Saturday (for tomorrow), however the problem seems to have gradually resolved itself, first becoming more intermittent, and for the past day or so incoming calls have been reliably making it through. I've therefore cancelled the appointment, since I can no longer reproduce the fault - hopefully I won't be back here soon!

Thanks for your help, particularly if the visit to the exchange did fix it.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi

Glad to hear the issue is potentially resolved.

If anything changes, you know where to find us.

Thanks

Karl.

Highlighted
First Timer

I have exactly the same problem - only just realised as people saying the phone goes dead when they call, so don't know how long it has been like this.  I can make outgoing calls and broadband is fine but when calling the landline it just goes dead and doesn't ring at our end.  Can you help??

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi HectorT

If you start your own thread (new message), we’d love to help.

We’ve found that posting in someone else’s conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

It’s easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl