Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline connected to someone elses house

Scootter1973
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 10

Internet and phoneline died yesterday so I contacted talktalk today who ran tests but couldn't find an external fault. They said it must be an internal fault and will send an engineer round on Thursday at a cost of £40 to check for a problem. After talking to them I tried ringing my landline from my mobile. A woman who lives a mile down the road answered and said that she had just had now tv installed and nobody could call her on the number she had been given and that when she rings out my number comes up at the other end. I called talktalk back and explained this to them but they are insisting that an engineer still has to come out and check for an internal fault. Surely someones made a mistake at the exchange?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Hi,

I would call in and cancel any other engineer as they will not be able to resolve the issue. only the Openreach engineer can resolve this.

Check back in 24hrs and I'll see if there is an update from Openreach for you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Ok, thanks. I think the woman that now has my number spoke to her supplier on Saturday who are doing the same thing. Do I still need an engineer to come to my home on Thursday and check for an internal fault or can the appointment be cancelled now?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Hi

I've logged this out to BT Openreach for a Non Appointed engineer - Non appointed means the engineer will be dispatched to look at the line without requiring an appointment be made with you to visit your property.  

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Profile updated. Thanks.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 10

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name

• Telephone number

• Alternative contact number

•  

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

I've spoken to talktalk and explained the situation and said that the problem probably lies at the exchange but they say they can't do anything until the engineer comes out and checks for an internal fault. I've spoken to the woman that now has my landline number and told her to speak to her provider. She has done this and they are sending an engineer to the exchange to sort the problem out hopefully sometime before Monday.  In the meantime I'm guessing she can run my phone bill up.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 7 of 10

Try Chat, @Scootter1973.

You need this fault reported and logged today, as the clock starts ticking for how quickly they should be repairing it. If they take too long over it, you'll be owed compensation. 

Pop "automatic compensation" into the forum search box for details of how that works. 

They need to be sending out the right kind of engineer. 

Sorry, but staff on here can't help till after the weekend. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

My landline is dead. I can't make any calls.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

When you dial 17070 from your landline phone, make a note of the number that's read back and tell Talktalk that it's wrong, @Scootter1973.

No forum staff on here before Monday,  so use 03451 720046 or Chat.

The link to Chat and details of opening hours are on this page:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes