cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Loss of Landline Phone Service

asdfg11
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 44 of 44

The landline service to my property has been unavailable for two days and I need an appointment making for a visit from an Openreach engineer. There are a number of things for Openreach to consider before they despatch an engineer:

There has been no loss of, fibre provided, internet and television services.

The fault is most probably within the overhead copper wire that runs from a telegraph pole at the back of the property into a loft extension within the roof.

A similar problem experienced in July & August 2023 took one month to resolve. It would be helpful to the process this time if it were possible for the property owner to be provided with a contact number in order that they might speak directly with Openreach if for no other reason than to understand the likely date and time of any engineer’s visit and so ensure access to the property. It was only by chance that I was at the property on each occasion that Openreach visited in July/August ’23.

A key lesson from my previous experience was that any engineer visiting the property should be equipped and trained to deal with copper wire connections, for example they will need ladders capable of reaching the cable.  

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 21 of 44

Hi askfg11,

Engineer charges are explained here -  Engineers charges

Please let us know if you agree to potential engineer charges and we'll book the engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 44

Hi Michelle,

What are the "possible time-related charges" ?

I am available at any time on Thursday 8th and Friday 9th Feb, but after that I will not be available again until Monday 19th Feb.

I don't think the line was working at any time during the engineer's visit.   

Many thanks for passing on the message about the torch. It is a good one! 

0 Likes

Message 23 of 44

Hi again,

As the line test is clear I will need to re-raise this as an appointed engineer visit to the property. Can you confirm acceptance of possible time related charges and also provide some availability please AM 8-1 or PM 1-6.

Just one final thing, when the engineer had done some work at the pole, did they return and confirm that the dial tone was present and then it stopped working again?

I'd advise giving the torch to the next engineer that visits as they should be able to pass it back.

Michelle

Message 24 of 44

Hi Michelle,

The line is now completely disconnected.

If Openreach can replace the line then please go ahead, but before they send anyone they need to be aware that whoever the job is allocated to will need to be fully equipped to replace a line that runs perhaps 50m from a telegraph pole into the property. 

Any contact number for them so I can ask about my torch?

Thanks again      

0 Likes

Message 25 of 44

Morning,

Ok I see. Would you like us to arrange another engineer visit to the property? Is there still currently no dial tone? 

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 26 of 44

Hi Michelle,

He didn't say the line couldn't be replaced, only that VOIP was a possible alternative. I imagine that line replacement is a bigger job and so would require the arrangement of another visit from another engineer.

Since yesterday's visit I have another question: how do I get in touch with Openreach about the return of a torch. The engineer borrowed one yesterday and appears to have left the house with it. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. We only offer VOIP with a FTTP (full fibre connection) Just to confirm, did the engineer say that they couldn't fix the copper voice service?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 28 of 44

Hi Michelle,

According to the Openreach engineer, the hybrid copper/fibre wire running to the house from the telegraph pole at the rear of the property is no longer fit for purpose and either needs replacing (perhaps with entirely fibre cable) or alternatively, and this would depend on whether or not talktalk offer the service, we could use 'Voice over IP.' I need advice from talktalk regarding the latter or another visit from Openreach if Voice over is not available.  In the meantime I've received a text message from talktalk asking me to check my in home setup. 

Many thanks for your help

0 Likes

Message 29 of 44

Good afternoon,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 30 of 44

Morning,

We'll check back in with you next week to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 31 of 44

It could be that the browser is not storing the cookie, if you don't think you have signed out, @asdfg11.

Maybe check settings?

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

Thanks Chris,

Openreach sent me a text to confirm the appointment.

Once again I had to await for a secure access code to be sent to my email before I could post this response. 

0 Likes

Message 33 of 44

Hi asdfg11,

I've booked the first available appointment - February 05 2024, AM - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 34 of 44

I am not available Thursday Feb 1st, but any day/time after that should be o.k.

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 35 of 44

If we arrange an appointed visit, which this one will be, then we arrange the visit for a specific time slot and date. Are you available any day? Would you just like me to book the first date/time slot available?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 36 of 44

Chris,

I should have added that the security code issue has been there ever since I registered this issue. 

0 Likes

Message 37 of 44

Hi Chris,

Please go ahead and arrange a second visit. I have no problem with potential charges provided Openreach let me know when they intend to visit. Unfortunately, this is something they repeatedly fail to do. I am not going to accept changes if I have not been notified of their intended date of arrival.  

A security code is needed whenever I want to re-enter the community to update this thread. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 38 of 44

OK thanks. If the line is still dead then we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to your home as originally planned. Would you like me to book it (please note that engineer charges may apply)?

That shouldn't be happening with the security code, has it only started happening today?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 39 of 44

Hi Chris,

Yes the line is still completely dead. 

Why do I have to wait for a security code before I can submit a new post on this thread? It happens every time now.  

0 Likes

Message 40 of 44

Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems. Line test is now passing so just to confirm, do you still have no dial tone, the line is completely dead?

Chris

0 Likes