Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving phone line

PhilG
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 11

Good evening.

I am having some building work done on my house in a few months and part of that work is moving the front door.

However, the phone line that is attached to the outside wall (where the line comes out of the ground) will be in the way. The builder has advised this needs to be moved before the work starts.

I understand that it is OpenReach that have to move the exterior phone entry point into a property.

Can you advise how much this would cost please? It would only have to move just under one metre so hopefully not a massive job.

Also, how would I go about booking this work in?

Many thanks,

Phil.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Future Fibre (FTTP) doesn't use copper cabling, however at the moment this is data only (no voice) The voice service is currently in trial at the moment. It might be worth speaking to the future fibre team as am not sure if the original cabling/line would be removed or just deactivated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hey Chris,

So Open Reach communications are really quick but they need to send somebody out to conduct a survey. That will cost £342.

Once that survey is done, they will then send a quote for the actual work!

I don't think we have much choice of we want the line moved unfortunately. 

Just curious, if I were to request fibre to be fitted, do you use copper wire into the house or is it a fibre cable? And if I went down this route, does the other phone line get removed? I have no idea whether this is possible, just looking at whether it is a way of saving us some money!

Thanks,

Phil.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

OK thanks Phil 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Thanks Chris. I have used the link provided to complete the online form for open reach. They will hopefully get in touch with me in 5 working days, but apparently could take up to 2 weeks.

Will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi PhilG,

I've asked and we think that the best course of action would be to contact Openreach directly here. I know that this says that it's for health and safety issues but I think that this may be covered too. Could you contact them and let us know how you get on. 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Thanks Chris. You are right, it is not the master socket but the outside line that I attached to the outside of the house (has a grey cover over it).

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi PhilG,

I'm not sure that this would be covered by the cost of moving a master socket, I'll check and get back to you

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

The support team here will be happy to organise it for you, wait for their response for further advice around timing. 

0 Likes

PhilG
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 11

Thanks for the swift reply. Thought it would be more expensive than that as it is the external line (not in the house).

Happy to pay, just need to book it in. What would be the best way - should I call or do the online chat?

If they have to call me to book it in that might not work as I don't have  y phone on me during the day at work. They could call the landlines but unsure if they would speak to my wife as I am the account holder.

Thanks,

Phil.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

It will cost you £128.40 chargeable by Openreach and TalkTalk can arrange it for you. It is known as a LVR (Low Volume Request) so make sure you give them plenty of notice.