Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My landline is completely dead.

jojo3
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 13

My landline has been completely dead for the past 3 days. My internet is working. I live in South London, is anyone else in London  experiencing the same problem?  I would be really gratefull to hear from anyone who is.

I am waiting to hear from TalkTalk engineers, they should tell me if  there is a problem at the exchange.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

You will be entitled to automatic compensation as set out out here.

You can also raise a formal complaint if you wish by following the procedure set out in the Complaints Code link at the bottom of the page.

Message 2 of 13

Thank you for your interest.

However I would like to point out that this series of events regarding repairs to my land line was more than just “unfortunate” for me.

These events have caused me much distress and ongoing problems.  

I am a pensioner and I rely on my land line, which I was unable to use for 7 days.

During this time, I continually received conflicting and unhelpful information from TalkTalk Customer Service.

I am very unhappy with the service that I have received from TalkTalk.

I am now considering what further steps I can take to ensure that I receive some redress.

Regards

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi jojo3

We will pass on your feedback regarding the engineer visits, it is unfortunate that the 1st engineer did not identify the problem, that was discovered on the 2nd visit. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Thank you for the information about automatic compensation.

I am still not happy with the service that I have received in dealing with the fault.

Below I have copied and pasted exactly what was said to me, by a TalkTalk agent on the 5th October.

We have identified the fault, this is an external problem which is at the telephone exchange, we will arrange for an engineer to visit the telephone exchange, to investigate further.

After this I was told that the engineer was unable to resolve the issue.

This sounds like incompetence to me.

Because when the Openreach engineer visited the exchange on the 11th October, he resolved the issue with ease and in very little time.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi @jojo3 

Just an observation from me that Openreach usually have engineers that work on exchange faults and different engineers that work on lines and faults external to the exchange. So maybe the exchange engineer found no fault but the second engineer located and fixed the fault.

The outcome is that you reported a total loss of 'phone service so your auto compensation credit will be automatically applied to your account without you having to make a complaint about Openreach.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 6 of 13

I have tried to condense my account of events, as much as possible.

I first reported the fault on my landline on 4th October.

We checked phones and sockets in the home and found everything to be ok.  

During a Live Chat session on Saturday 5th October, checks on my phone line were carried out.

An external fault was identified at the exchange.

I was informed that an engineer would visit the exchange to investigate further and that I would receive an update on Monday 7th October.

About 30 minutes after the Live Chat session had ended, I received an email.

The email said that the engineer had been unable to resolve the issue and that I should book an appointment for an engineer to visit my home.

The engineer came to my home on the 11th October. My son had to take time off of work to help me move furniture, to allow access to phone sockets.

After checking everything in my home, he went to the exchange to resolve the issue.

When he returned the phone line was working perfectly. I asked the engineer what the issue had been, at the exchange.

His response was “something had come out and he’d had to push it back in again”.

As I was told on the 5th October, that an engineer would be visiting the exchange. Why was the issue not resolved then, or soon after?

My landline was completely dead for 7days. I will be making a formal complaint to TalkTalk.  

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13
Hi, thank you for the information. This morning I had to reschedule the appointment. It is now on the 11th October, I will update you after this.
Regards

Message 9 of 13

Hi @jojo3

I've ran all line test and they come back clear, these will be the same tests that BT will run, As you still have no dialtone then the next step is to arrange a homevisit. 

I can see the appointment is booked for the 10th.  Let us know how it goes. 

Message 10 of 13
Thank you for your interest in my situation.
Since i reported my dead landline to TalkTalk I have constantly received conflicting information. I have now added information to my profile as you suggested. After telling me that they would investigate at the exchange, they have now said that they want to come to my home. I honestly do not believe the the fault is within my home. Everything here seems to be intact. I don't know if you can confirm that checks have been carried out at the exchange. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 13

Hi @jojo3

Thanks for your post, sorry that you are having problems.

If you would like us to look into this, please can you update your community profile to include your home telephone number, we will then be able to have a look at your  account.

To do this go into 'my settings' then 'personal information' then add your details.

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?