cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Will I ever be able to use my TalkTalk landline again?

Tremeloes
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 20 of 20

Four weeks ago my TalkTalk landline telephone stopped working on 10th July. I spent a long time in the evening using the online chat facility but the conversation was ended without an opportunity of getting a resolution or capturing a record of the chat. Although mentioned in the chat no engineer made contact in the following days.

A second chat on the 15th July lasting 2 hours also did not lead to a resolution and no contact from an engineer.

A third chat on 22nd July did lead to a TalkTalk engineer visit on Thursday 27th July although an Openreach engineer had been expected. The TalkTalk engineer checked the Openreach master socket saying that the fault was beyond his ability to fix and would arrange for an Openreach engineer to visit.  The fault has now been closed by TalkTalk but the landline telephone still does not work. The online test tools only test the broadband service but I have no problem with broadband as it is provided by a separate TalkTalk service via full fibre on the CityFibre infrastructure. It is the Openreach landline telephone service that does not work.

The engineer who visited on 27th July tested the Openreach master socket and said the problem was outside of my house but I cannot check whether an Openreach engineer has been requested to troubleshoot the fault.

Although I been a TalkTalk customer since May 2006, I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied by the poor service with regard to this fault rectification.

Silence is golden
0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19

Message 1 of 20

Hi Tremeloes,

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that the engineer has managed to resolve the problem. I'm really sorry that this has taken so long, apologies for any inconvenience. If you do experience any further problems just let us know

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 20

Hello Chris,

Well done Chris. You have managed to get a resolution to the fault on my TalkTalk landline phone after 5 weeks.

The unknown chat agent on 10th July promised an engineer but one never made contact.

On the 15 July I had a 2 hour online chat with Eden that almost resulted in an Openreach engineer. An extract from that chat is:

19:31, Jul 15 Eden: Can you please connect your landline telephone directly to the socket, with nothing else connected.

19:32, Jul 15 Eden: Please let me know once you able to complete this for me. Thank you.

19:34, Jul 15 You: The corded telephone is connected into the master socket behind where the faceplate is located. There are no other devices connected. There is still no dial tone.

19:37, Jul 15 Eden: First and foremost, I do apologize for the long wait, and I do appreciate your kind cooperation with me.

19:38, Jul 15 Eden: I have now completed the initial test now and the result is we need to escalate this to our expert engineer.

19:39, Jul 15 Eden: We're booking an Openreach engineer to investigate any issues within the network that may be affecting your service. Please make sure that someone over the age of 18 will be available on-site during the visit. If the fault is outside of your property boundary, there will be no charge and the engineer may not need to visit your home. We'll be sure to keep you updated via text once the engineer has completed their investigation. The booking is made on the basis that you've completed all the checks we've requested, by doing it will prevent any unnecessary charges. Please note that if the engineer confirms that the fault is inside your property boundary or caused by your equipment, or if you miss the appointment, a charge of £75 will apply. If you need to make changes to your appointment, please respond to the confirmation text sent to your registered mobile number. Please note that if you amend or cancel your visit after midday on the day before your appointment, you will be charged £75. Do you understand and agree to these terms and conditions?

19:39, Jul 15 You: Good, I wish that had happened 4 days ago.

The engineer never made contact.

On the 24 July I had a 1 hour 20 minute online chat with Rogelito that that resulted in a TalkTalk engineer who arrived on 27th July. The TalkTalk engineer checked the Openreach master socket saying that the fault was beyond his ability to fix and would arrange for an Openreach engineer to visit. The TalkTalk engineer closed the fault report but no contact from an Openreach engineer.

I then tried a different approach via the TalkTalk community and with my thanks to you Chris I have at last got the fault fixed.

The Openreach engineer who visited this morning was able to reconnect my landline connection within the street cabinet that had been dislodged when other work had been done within the cabinet.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 3 of 20

No problem. Yes it's an Openreach engineer

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 20

Hello Chris,

Thank you for making the appointment. Please can you confirm that it is an Openreach engineer and not a TalkTalk engineer.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 5 of 20

Hi Tremeloes,

I've booked the engineer for August 14 2023, AM (8am-1pm) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 20

Hello Chris,

Yes I agree to potential Engineer charges.

Availability:

Wednesday 9 Aug AM & PM,

Thursday 10 Aug AM & PM, 

Monday 14 Aug AM & PM,

Tue 15 Aug AM & PM,

Wed 16 Aug AM & PM.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 7 of 20

Hi Tremeloes,

I've got your reply to the security questions, just need you to confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and let me know when you can be available for the visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 20

That PM that says "Oops" will simply have timed out or won't work twice, @Tremeloes. They don't have a very long shelf life at all. If he didn't get it the first time, he will just send it to you again if necessary.

Sometimes people just confirm accepting engineer charges and give best appointment times in the thread.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 9 of 20

Hello Chris,

Replied to your post 10 hours ago but no further contact from you. Did you receive my PM?

I've tried the first link in your PM a 2nd time and get:

Something went wrong.

Oops! You shouldn’t be seeing this. Please return to the social channel and contact your agent to try again.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 10 of 20

Thanks. Could you just confirm that you accept potential engineer charges and let me know when you can be available for the visit

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 20

Hello Chris,

Answered by PM.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 12 of 20

OK, if you'd like us to go ahead with the visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 20

Staff don't have the Chats directly in front of them as these are separate channels for accessing help, @Tremeloes, as are phone calls.

So on here, staff will take you through a series of questions / checks which are procedural, to help try to get to the bottom of it step by step.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 20

Hello Chris,

Yes, I would like a visit from an Openreach engineer.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 15 of 20

OK thanks. we'll need to arrange a visit from an Openreach engineer, if you'd like me to do this please let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 20

Hello Chris,

Yes the line has been tested with a second corded telephone, the TalkTalk engineers test telephone. The faceplate of the master socket has been removed and my corded telephone is connected to the test socket within the master socket. As described 3 times within your online chat system. Are you not able to view all of the steps that I have been through with your online agents?

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Message 17 of 20

Is your telephone currently connected to your test socket? Your guide to main phone sockets - TalkTalk Help & Support

Have you tested with a second telephone?

Chris

0 Likes

Tremeloes
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 20

Hello Chris,

Yes the line is completely dead, no dial tone and has been like that since 10th July.

Tremeloes

Silence is golden
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 19 of 20

Hi Tremeloes,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your telephone service. Is the line completely dead, no dial tone?

Chris

0 Likes