cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile support

For any questions about your TalkTalk mobile service.

Google services

sklee
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 19

Hi there,

I currently use TalkTalkMobile Sim (believe using O2 network).
I have noticed that I cannot access Google services I think (eg. not able to use Google Maps or using Google search).
Does anyone have this issue? I wonder if certain services are barred, and how to contact to get them removed.

Thank you.

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Phew.
No the APN config was all automatically downloaded when the SIM was inserted into the phone.
Perhaps worth reporting to the Network setup.
The phone was never manually setup, until now when i googled for the APN settings and manually removed those this time.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

That's the Multimedia Services (MMS) Proxy and Port. So that's correct MMS gateway server for TalkTalk Mobile. 

Did someone set this Honor 'phone up for you and put the MMS Proxy and Port in the wrong place? I cannot see how else this might have happened.

But at least it's not as worrying as some rogue malware doing nasty things.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Thanks yes. I'd assumed the APN config was all automatically setup by the TT APN
I kept a note of the proxy/port - it had value of 212.183.137.012 port 8799
indeed it would be curious to know which app would have setup that proxy if that was not the default.
FYI. i do have Mcafee AV installed for the Android

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

OK, great that you found the mismatch. Not the first thing I would have expected because the mobile .talktalk.co.uk APN does not set up a proxy address or port.

Did you keep a note of the proxy IP address? I would be a little suspicious that some software or malware on the device has set up a proxy to divert some traffic.

I would run anti virus and anti malware to ensure the device is free of suspicious content. System manager and Virus scan should do the first bit. Now that you can access Play Store you can download and use Malwarebytes for Android.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi Gondola, thanks for supporting.
I think I've found and fixed the issue. Apparently the TalkTalk APN had a Proxy/Port setting on the phone.
I removed both the values and it works now.
Thanks again.

sklee_0-1696373927515.png

Message 6 of 19

Hi, i've found the SmartDataSaver - it is OFF. Have also found the Network Access for each of the Apps - they are set ON for both MobileData and Wifi.
Strange thing is when on Mobile Data - apps like WhatsApp, email client to talktalk.net works, BBC News, FB works
Apps that don't work are Chrome, Maps, Youtube, it appears
Just a random search on google - it comes back with google.com took too long to respond ERR_TIMED_OUT
is it to do with TTMobile network is too slow and using a DNS service that's taking too long to resolve
ie. back to somewhere in the TTM network that's not permitting these Google DNS services to these apps to function properly?

Hope you can help homing in where the problem is? Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

OK, I've found the Honor user manual to find out about settings. Page 83 covers the management of data by apps.

The default setting for Background usage of data is off. And Smart Data Saver mode is on. That means the apps do not consume data when not in active use. But try enabling background data and disabling the Smart Data Saver just to see if that kicks some life into the Google apps.

If you're not sure what settings to use then you can always revert the phone settings to default. Page 112.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 19

Hi Gondola,
Thanks. I shall try again, but I do think I have tried putting the TT SIM into another phone and the same thing - not getting Google Maps to work over mobile data. I can't recall but I shall try again. 
....which hence led me to think that it was something at the TT Mobile network itself. And how would one make enquiry to VF?
On your other point, how to find out regarding Background Data and Unrestricted Data Saving?
Yes, powering down and up has been tried.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

I don't have an emulator for the Honor phone and as the manufacturer uses a customised version of Android 12 the steps to take and the labelling is often different to other stock Android phones. But good to know you found the Data usage section.

So, having put the TalkTalk Mobile SIM into another phone and found that it works via Wi-Fi and mobile data you've proved that you do have a mobile data allowance and that TalkTalk Mobile is not blocking Google Maps or Chrome.

Having checked that mobile data is allowed for the apps on the Honor phone have you also checked that the phone doesn't have Data Saving enabled? You may need to have Background Data switched on and Unrestricted by 'Data Saving' switched on.

As you're finding out there are plenty of phone settings that can impact how apps work. So you're the only one that can see what's been set up. At least you know it's an issue on the Honor phone and nowhere else.

I suppose you have tried the standard fix of powering down the phone, leaving for a few minutes and then powering up again just to make sure it's not a software glitch that just happened and didn't get cleared?

0 Likes

sklee
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 19

hi, thought i had previously posted a reply - but will have to repost here.

thanks gondola, in answer to your help - the phone has mobile data enabled (other services like whatsapp continues working over the same mobile data)
as for checking the settings - it's not the same path as you've put it
instead have checked ... settings>apps>apps>maps>data usage>mobile data "allowed"
same for settings>apps>apps>chrome>data usage>mobile data "allowed"

really don't understand what else can be wrong here.
if anyone in community has the same experience and help resolve
many thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

So for the first time you're telling us that Google Services, Chrome and Maps do work on the 'phone but not via mobile data.

So either you have no mobile data left on your allowance / credit or for Chrome or Google Maps you have the phone set to disable mobile data.

Look at settings > apps & notifications > app list / apps > chrome > mobile data & wifi > ensure "disable data usage / disable mobile data" isn't enabled.

Do the same for Google Maps.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

And just to be clear - the phone works fine with Chrome and Google Maps when it's connected via home wifi.
It's just that when outside using mobile data on TTMobile (vodafone network) that those google services do not function.
Hence my question - why the lack of google is related to the mobile data network, and not about the installation on the phone

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Yes there is Google account on the phone. That's not the issue.
(Pardon that there was confusion in my mind about the TT Mobile being a VF or O2 MVNO)
In any case, yes the phone is sync'ed to google account - it's just that Chrome or Maps do not work, as I have originally posted

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

Which bit of my reply do you not understand? The TalkTalk Mobile SIM is linked to the Vodafone network. 

Google services should work. Google does not block Honor phones post 2020. Do you have a Google account on your phone?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Hi, 
Am confused...is the TalkTalk Mobile SIM served by O2 or Vodafone?
Maybe it's VF and why would the Google Services not work on a Honor Magic4Pro?
Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

The TalkTalk Mobile SIM is linked to the Vodafone network. Your handset may be locked to the Vodafone network if an O2 SIM does not function. Unlock your mobile.

You can add new functions to your Honor Magic 4 Pro phone by installing apps from Google Play. To install apps, you need to activate your Google account on your phone.

0 Likes

sklee
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 19

Hi, I have tried putting the O2 SIM in another handset.
The handset that this SIM does not work in is an Honor Magic4Pro.
Are you able to help?
Thank you.

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 18 of 19

HI sklee

There are no limitations or restrictions on google services, could be a setting on the handset.  

What handset are you using

0 Likes