cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Attempting to improve WiFi coverage

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Really need Tech assistance for this one!

I have a YouView Box which is working just fine via a TalkTalk supplied "HomePlug" kit from way back, obviously a re-branded product who's origins I do not know.

The "Master" unit is plugged in to the router with an RJ45 Ethernet cable and the "paired" slave unit is also connected via an RJ45 to the ethernet socket on my YouView Box and they've been happy playmates for more years than I care to remember, so I don't want to upset that bond!

Some years ago, I bought a TP Link AV600 Powerline WiFi Kit (TL-WPA4220KIT) which I intended to site in my Garage to provide a connection for my CCTV DVR, which never happened!

My Question is, can the TP Link "Slave" unit be paired to the existing Homeplug "Master" unit, hopefully without disturbing the current link to my TV Box, to give me a stronger signal at the further end of my house where some WiFi appliances struggle to maintain a 2.4Ghz connection? 

Until just now, I wasn't aware that these units transmitted WiFi, ...I just thought they were using a carrier wave along the mains wiring!😮

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 13

🙄might be simpler to move house!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 13

If you can combine the two different vendors, you will create a speed bottleneck at the LAN port of the router. Using two LAN ports will give you a faster speed for each unit. I think it will have to be trial & error though to get it to work.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

Thanks Keith, I would if I wanted 5GHz extending but on this occasion all I need is the 2.4GHz for which the kit I already have will suffice. 

...If that is, I can somehow integrate it into my existing network!

Head ScratchHead Scratch

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

No, I appreciate that. I just meant that if you were to buy anything new, you want to get something more up-to-date.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 13

Hi Keith, that would not help me.

As stated, my sole reason for attempting this is to extend the 2.4GHz coverage required by so called "Smart" kit which specifically requires this frequency, but seems unable to lock on to anything but a strong signal in the immediate location. 🙂 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 13

You want a unit that will do 802.11ac at the AC1200 (867M in the 5GHz band) as an absolute minimum.

Keith

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 13

Thanks Keith.

I've had the TP Link kit too long to send back, I'll have to find some way to maybe get an extra slave unit and possibly then replace the TalkTalk homeplugs.

Shame though as they haven't missed a beat since installation!

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

It looks like the TP-Link is only compatible with the 2.4GHz band, I would try & send it back if you can.

Keith

0 Likes

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

Thanks Keith, I'm not in any rush.

Just received a CCTV camera and was preempting the possibility that it may struggle to get a strong signal.

Lord knows why these "smart" things are plagued by this problem when my phone can connect to my WiFi from 30 ft away from the house! 🙄

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

When I said 3rd party I was not talking about TalkTalk provided equipment, but the TP-Link. I haven't got the time at the moment to look up about that one, I would have thought if it was possible, the TT being much older could drag the TP-Link down to its Ethernet speed (85M from memory).

Keith

Steamywee
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Hi Keith, First question is "Which Product!"😃

The TalkTalk Homeplugs have been in operation for years and any documentation is long gone!

The TP Link set is this one. 

I suppose that's helpful, if someone knows the Homeplug details to compare!  

Edit: anyone?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

What does the documentation say for this product? It is very difficult to give exact guidance on 3rd party equipment.

Keith

0 Likes