cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Lost all channels

1Perry
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Recently we have had the message weak or lost signal appear on our screen (not every time, but frequently). So looking at the help info, I have tried restarting our box and router. This seemed to work initially, but a few days later I have the same message - note the picture would eventually appear at some point. Then I tried retuning the channels and it found none, so I am now without any channels via Freeview at all. I can still get iplayer (not tried other digital channels for itv and channel 4 etc). I imagine though iplayer and other digital channels are via broadband. 

I have also checked the ariel connections in the loft and TV and tried a different cable from the wall into the box. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting the box to factory settings.

Using another TV directly connected to the ariel, I can get a picture (not good quality and poor sound) and for the channels I checked the signal strength was stated as 72%

What should i try next - could it be the box which we have had for quite a number of years now?

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

please start your own thread do support can be given.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

surfing69
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 11

i don't think so - I have seen this behaviour recently on 3 occasions and I have learnt that unplugging and replugging the arial resolves the issue. Also how can an aerial become loose if no one is touching it?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

@surfing69 

Probably the aerial cable had worked lose.

If you have an issue pease start your own thread as each case is considered unique and it is easier for support to be given to one person per thread and also less confusing.

To start your thread click the Browse button, then Help With Your Service and select the appropriate category. You will then see a Blue Button "Start A Topic"
Please also note that you should only post back on that thread and not start another on the same topic as multiple posts cause delay to you and others seeking help.
Thank you

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

surfing69
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 11

Over the last few months I have been losing some Freeview channels and recently i turned on the TV and NO channels were showing i.e. i kept seeing the loss/low signal error page. 

I have another TV connected to the same aerial and when I turned on that TV, ALL TV channels were present ! 

I did all the troubleshooting as suggested  in these posts BUT what i found worked was unplugging the aerial from teh YouView box , waiting a few seconds and then replugging and hey presto ALL the channels returned ! 

Does anyone know what could be going on? 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

I will find out tomorrow when the installer will take a look. Will let you know.

Perry

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi

If you have tried the aerial direct to a TV, bypassing ant set top box, and the picture is poor, then this does point to an aerial fault rather than a box fault. 

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Thanks Karl, but this issue has been going on for a few weeks now. I had just put up with the delay in getting freeview channels and only tried retuning last week. 

I have now tried all the suggestions I can do except going to a neighbour to try the box on another ariel and this is not really possible to do. So I will now have to call an installer to have a look at the ariel.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi

Also, depending on where you are, with the recent bad weather, this has also affected some freeview channels.  For example, I live in a very good signal area, never have any issues.  I'm in Liverpool on the Winterhill transmitter, but this weekend, with the snow, I've lost some channels, not all, just a few like Sky news etc. 

This is direct to a TV from a roof aerial, not via any set top box.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

The TV signals come via the aerial, so rebooting your router will have no effect. Doing maintenance on the box may help but as you have retuned and found no channels, and your TV, with the aerial plugged in directly is showing poor reception, this may well be an aerial problem and you may need to consult a local aerial installer.

Before doing so try the following. Remove the aerial and do a retune. No channels will be found but it will clear any memory the box is holding. The reconnect the aerial and retune the box.

If that does not work try a YouView Maintenance Reset (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-find-maintenance-mode/ta-p/1429347)?

Try the Factory Reset keep recording option.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / Set antenna Out to On in Settings: Picture and Sound / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

If all else fails then try a full factory reset from the settings menu. You will lose your recordings but as TalkTalk no longer provide recordable YouView boxes it's best to try all alternatives.

If this still does not work, but the box fully restarts, then it may be an aerial issue as mentioned.

If you have a neighbour or someone you can hook the box up to using their aerial, and try a retune, this may help you decide if the the box is at fault before calling out an installer.

Hope it works and please let us know how you get on.

0 Likes