cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

faulty set top box

kengland
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

I've had my box for years, ever since I started with TalkTalk. It has now started to freeze constantly, especially during recordings which are now never complete, I haven't managed to record even an hour long programme for the past month or so. I have to restart every time I want to watch TV and it takes ages to boot up.

Every time I contact Talktalk chat they just insist on doing a factory reboot, each time I have tried them, despite me saying that it only works very briefly then crashes again.

I'm paying a good price for my service and have been a reliable customer for a long time but just don't seem to be able to get anywhere when it comes to a replacement box. The box is old, well used and just needs replacing, especially as it is too old to support NowTV as well.

Has anyone else had the same problem and do they have any advice.

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

@trumpetman Please stick to one thread per topic. Posting the same information on multiple topics delays responses to other users and is considered Spam under the forum guidelines.

Thank you.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

13 Reasons why you should think carefully before moving to the 4K TV box.

1. You can only record on one channel.
2. You have to record onto your own flash drive minimum 32Gb, maximum 1Tb.
3. You can pause live TV but you can’t rewind!
4. It is slow to start, 45 seconds, like an old valve TV.
5. Finding your recordings involves 7 key presses then another 7 on the ‘back’ key to get back to where you started.
6. When playing a recording you can’t jump one minute forward or 15 seconds backwards which, on the old Huawei box, made skipping through adverts very easy.
7. When going forward or backwards it does so at x3, x10, x30, x100 and x 200 and it is very hard to control. You have to keep watching the time slider and try to stop it in the correct place which you inevitably miss so you have to reverse. Any speed higher than x10 is guaranteed to miss the stopping point.
8. The remote has a X button that does nothing. (?)
9. It also has a button for teletext but no channels have teletext these days.
10. The volume slider settings are preset and there is no numerical display to indicate what volume is set.
11. There is no visual indication on the very small box to inform you that it is recording.
12. Having recorded a series on the schedule, there doesn’t appear to be any way of deleting the schedule! Crazy.
13. When you change channels it displays a list at the bottom of the screen that stays there ages unless you press the back button.

It seems they expect everyone to be streaming these days so there is no need to record. When streaming most channels don’t support subtitles which for those of us with impaired hearing makes it unwatchable.

On the good side it does have Wi-Fi so cuts down on cables and adapters and it does have Bluetooth so us hallf-deaf people can use headphones.

Silver surfer but been using and messing about with computers since MS DOS 5
0 Likes

trumpetman
Team Player
Private Message
Message 3 of 17

I was in the same position. My Hauwei box was playing up so I went on the helpline. I was told the Hauwei box is no longer available and I was upgraded to Full Fibre 150 mbps with a Eero 6 router, Digital Voice and a 4K TV box.

I have to report that that 4K TV box is awful.

See my post today under "13 Reasons why you should think carefully before moving to the 4K TV box."

BTW, I see Talktalk are still selling the Hauwei box for £149. Perhaps their web site is out-of-date.

The internet of the new Eero is abysmal so I am now being upgraded to Full Fibre Home, 900mbps and two Eero Pro router/extenders.

Silver surfer but been using and messing about with computers since MS DOS 5
0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi

Excellent advice from fr8ys, if you need to contact the Loyalty Team you can call or use live chat.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 17

YouView no longer have retail boxes either, but if you don't wish to change you contract for whatever reason, you could purchase your own YouView or Freeview plus box which will allow you to continue recording channels whilst watching another.

I hope you have looked at the link provided for the 4k box as this is limited in functionality compared to the box you are used too.

Refurbished or previously owned boxes can be found online or from CeX ( they provide a guarantee too).

If you go down this route, I'd recommend a Humax  (T2000 or above) or BT branded box, which will work perfectly well on the TalkTalk network.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 6 of 17

Hi,

Try phoning 0345 172 0088 and ask for the loyalty team.

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi Karl : Sorry but attempted all lines of communication with the loyalty team with no success ( which seams to be normal reading other members of the "community" ) Please, Please, Please !!! could you direct me to a phone line or email where I can obtain information about the TV 4k box. I don`t need another badge thankyou but a medal the size of a dustbin lid  and having already wasted half a day of work I am sure I deserve a result today.

Regards : Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

HI

You can call or use Live Chat to request to speak to our Loyalty Teams.

Contact details can be found : How to contact TalkTalk Broadband - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Karl : Please can you put me through to the loyalty team or instruct me how to contact them.

Thanks ...Keith

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi

The new 4K TV box will only be provided if you renew the contract and the have TalkTalk Entertainment added to your package at £5 per month to cover the box rental.

Our loyalty teams can add this for you, and as mentioned earlier, you may get a better deal / price when renewing.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi Karl : Thank you for your response, however what you are suggesting is that should I decide to remain with TalkTalk ( as I am sure you will wish for me to do ) I will not be supplied with a replacement TV plus box but does this also mean I cannot receive a TV 4K box which will hopefully correct the current problems. With respect as I have been a loyal and faithful customer for 8 years I would at least expect a replacement TV 4K box as compensation for the problems I have incurred over the past two years.

Thanks....Keith   

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi

All the names of TalkTalk packages include TV in the title.  You are on a legacy package as the contract expired many years ago. A rolling credit was applied to negate any TV charge.

If you chat with our loyalty teams about your package and contract you may get a better deal and reduce your price overall, but the main point I made still stands, that it is now impossible for us to replace your existing youview box

You can see details of the new 4K TV box at Compare our TalkTalk TV Boxes - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17
Hi Karl : Having checked my latest bill I am actually paying £32:50 for TV plus, Broadband and Phone...Please check these details.

Regards : Keith
0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Hi

I've replied on your thread.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Please confirm you have received my earlier message.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 17

Hi

I've replied to your earlier thread.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes