cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Left address at which service was enabled in April, paid over £100 for nothing due to health issues

chrispembs
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

Hello,

I left the property at which my personal account was active on April 24th. I wish to close this account. I have paid well over £100 this year so far for no service, due to me no longer living at the address. Indeed, the property has been unoccupied by anyone since April and is currently for sale. I neglected to inform you of this due to serious health issues.  Anyway, I have just been sent another bill today for another £37. Since you've already taken a great deal of money out of my bank account for zero service, I will tomorrow be cancelling my direct debit. I've not connected with you from the address or made any phone calls since April for obvious reasons. I don't expect the money will be returned, but I do expect you not to take any more. That's all, thanks.

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi chrispembs

The notes on yoru account show we tried 3 times in September to call you, the account is still active so you will need to call us on  03451720088  to cancel this account. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 16

@chrispembs 

Forgive me for asking, but when you chatted to them did you make clear that you have long since moved and advise them of your current phone number? 

Message 3 of 16

As mentioned by @Gliwmaeden2 cancellations can only be done on the phone or by sending a, preferably, recorded delivery, letter to TalkTalk giving a months notice.

Have you actually given such notice and do you have the date and time of the telephone call, or proof of posting the letter?

I know it's not easy given your situation, but you do need to persist in phoning and cancelling in the correct manor or referring the loyalty team to your previous proof of cancelling.

On a more general note, you should never cancel a Direct Debit as it can cause you all sorts of issues later on including penalty fees being added for late payment, and it may well affect your credit rating too, let alone increase the stress you are already feeling. You are covered by the DD guarantee so should get any contractual money back once your case is settled and you have proved previous cancellation.

As said you do need to persist in phoning to get this resolved.

I hope you get this sorted quickly.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 4 of 16

Um, they said they were going to phone me, which they neglected to do. Please don't defend them, its sickening. They've had nearly £200 off me for an account at an address I left 6 MONTHS AGO. They are exploiting vulnerable people. The only people living here are myself and my 91 year old mother. We will be switching from TalkTalk and we won't be back. It's a scam. If you cant see it, or you're defending this policy, then with respect, I'd rather you desisted x

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

The cancellation has to be done using the phone number or snail mail address, given in the Ts&Cs, as previously explained.

Chat is NOT authorised to close the account, nor are forum staff.

If you didn't receive the promised phone call, you would be expected to follow up, @chrispembs, as they may have not been able to reach you.

It is terrible, having illness and depression, but they would expect you to be in touch - someone else can do the hard work of making the call with you, as long as you are actually there in person to pass security  etc.

You can also give others Authority to Act  / Power of Attorney etc to help with all such matters and these systems are there to help people through this sort of situation.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Power-of-Attorney-Authority-to-Act/ta-p/2205181#:~:text...

All ISPs will behave in exactly the same way and expect payment due.

I'll make sure that this is back in the queue for attention.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

chrispembs
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 16

Incredibly, I have still not been able to close this account despite not living at my former address since April this year. I used the chat feature to arrange what I think was referred to as a "Solicited Cease". I was told someone would ring the number I provided within 48 hours. This did not occur. There is a filtering system in place at my current address, but all calls are logged and no call has been received from TalkTalk. Since I cancelled my direct debit tho, numerous emails have been received from TalkTalk demanding yet further payments, which I am conveniently unable to reply to. No further payments will be made.

I am seriously unwell with depression and now have secondary physical issues which I will shortly be checking with a doctor. I do not need any more of this abuse. Some may call this sharp practice, I call it THEFT. Because that's what it is. I have received emails since my arranged "cease" telling me to pay an extra £80 for a property I left OVER 6 MONTHS AGO.

I currently do not require an internet connection, as there is already one active at my current address. When I move from here, in the near future, I will be needing a new account, but the chances of me opening another account with TalkTalk are diminishing every day, due to the DISGUSTING manner in which I have treated. My mother will also be switching providers shortly, as she is equally disgusted with this. So congratulations TalkTalk, your despicable, mercenary, cynical machinations have lost you TWO customers for the price of one. And I'm sure we're not the only ones.

This company needs shutting down. If this situation is not resolved soon, we will be taking this matter to court. For some inexplicable reason, I am no longer able to access the chat facility where I arranged the UNRECEIVED phone call but I took numerous screenshots as a precaution. We have plenty of evidence. This is not merely sharp practice, it's EVIL.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

My bad, yes, you did.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

@jaspertat 

Not so much "admitted"  as recommended. It is as you say technically and formally an option. But so likely to be more protracted than the alternative of calling.  

Message 9 of 16

@jaspertat I think you will find I offered that advice earlier.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 10 of 16

It is never admitted here, but you can write to TalkTalk. Download the Terms and Conditions at the foot of this page and see Section 19 for details. I would send a few letters by tracked mail, just in case they try 'lost in post' excuse.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

I do sympathise. But there is no other way to do this. From their point of view , TalkTalk do need to confirm you are the account holder for security reasons. If you select "thinking of leaving of us" when you get the voice prompt you should get through to the right team. Hopefully it will not be too difficult. And please let us know how you get on. 

Message 12 of 16

You could try Chat, but I'm not sure if they can deal with cancellations.

If you wish to chat online, there is a link on this page.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/articles/our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Alternatively you will find at the foot of each page copies of the terms and conditions with details of the address to send your cancellation details to.

However this route will not allow you to haggle.

Good luck with whichever route you choose.

0 Likes

chrispembs
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 13 of 16

I'm aware of this number. But my ill health is an ongoing situation. I will not be able to sit waiting on hold for hours on end. If someone can guarantee this won't be an issue, then I will ring tomorrow. I'm only posting here because, if you don't mind me saying, these charges do seem a little unfair under the circumstances.

Thank you for swift reply.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 16

Hi,

You need to speak to the loyalty team to cancel your contract.

Try phoning 0345 172 0088

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

I am sorry to hear about your ill health. Sadly, the support team here cannot handle cancellations, you do need to contact TalkTalk directly by calling 0345 172 0088 after 9:00am. Do feel free to explain your circumstances. Although I do caution about stopping the Direct Debit as this is likely to lead to additional automated charges. 

0 Likes