Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant Increase In Monthly Bill

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Last month I was swapped for 'free' to fibre or so I thought. Been very happy with the roughly 38Mbs speed, consistent too.

 

The first bill I received after the swap was for about £22 which I assumed meant I was on the "Fibre 35" tariff.

 

This month my bill has shot up to over £41.

 

I was expecting it to be about £12 more than normal because of an important call I had to make on my landline (35minutes), most of it, very annoyingly, on hold. That cost me about £9 (not pleased) and my other 'phone usage added more than £3 to that.

 

£41 minus £12 is £29 which suggests I've been put on the "Fibre 65" tariff. I'm certainly not getting 65+Mbs speed and in case that package includes unlimited anytime calls too. So my bill total is a bit of a mystery.

 

If I'm on "Fibre 35" for the standard 18 month contract which I assumed I was it should be roughly £22. Add the roughly £12 for the 'phone calls the bill should have been around £35. If I'd known how much that call would cost I would have added the anytime call 'Boost' prior to making it and at the current price: £7/month my bill would have been around £29.

 

What I also do not understand is that the basic "Fibre 65" tariff which, as said, apparently includes anytime calls plus additional features is effectively the same cost as "Fibre 35". That is if you add that current limited period reduced to £7/month anytime call 'Boost'. With "Fibre 35" you don't get the additional features either.

 

So "Fibre 35" appears to be considerably less value for the money: slower speed, limited period anytime 'phone call cost reduction and nothing else. After that time limited reduction expires you'll actually be paying more on this tariff for less service than if you were on "Fibre 65".

 

Please can someone explain my 17th April bill total because it seems to make no sense whichever tariff I've actually been put on?     

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16
0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

You already know the model number, there isn't a "series." What model do you have presently? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Thanks.

 

Do you happen to know what the new one is; an updated version of the same Huawei series or something completely different?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Hi Cluster-Lizard

 

I have checked your order and there is a router included, however there is no charge for delivery, a credit has been raised to clear that .

 

The router includes a returns bag with it, if you do not want to use it. 

 

Regards

Message 5 of 16

Thought I should post this here in my previous thread as it is directly related.

 

Today I signed up to a new contract, basic Fibre 35 for 18 months £22/months. Had confirmation it is being processed but one thing bothers me.

 

The package says it includes a new w-fi hub/modem/router + postage packing costs. When I was swapped to fibre for 'free' (as described earlier in this thread) I'd already been sent a new router several months earlier as part of the attempt to fix my poor speed.

 

That is shown as a Huawei DG8041 v1.05t.

 

Its working fine and since the swap to fibre its been giving me very consistent 35+Mbs, 37Mbs normally when tested.

 

Why do I need a new one with attendant postage costs and, presumably the hassle of returning either it, as unnecessary or the old one which is literally just a few months old?

 

If this inclusion in the 'renewal' package is as unnecessary as I believe it probably is I would suggest TalkTalk do not send me another wi-fi hub....etc.

 

I'm not sure how to go about making this happen. But if it can be sorted out via this forum can the someone please also make sure my next bill under the new contract does not include the additional £4.95 equipment postage/packing charges.    

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 16

I was offered the 'free' upgrade to fibre, I assume, because I'd had several months of lousy ADSL speed and been significantly put out going through the hoops in proving that it was not my system at fault. The fact is I'm now getting consistent FTTC speed of 38Mbs or there about. That's with exactly the same router/modem and 'copper' connection to the cabinet and so pretty much proves the fault was somewhere else. It was the ISP's responsibility to fix it.

 

In regard to the tariff: how are these two things related? Well probably not directly unless there was an element of guilt involved knowingly charging a customer more for an unreliable low speed service than others on shiny 35+Mbs fibre packages.

 

But wouldn't you hope, I certainly would, that at some point after the end of the contract but particularly when dealing with the low speed complaint someone might have noticed that and bought it to my attention?     

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

You say your contract ended in November. And you were offered a free upgrade in March. How are the two things possibly connected?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

I think we'll have to disagree on this.

 

Its more effort than it ever was with 'paper' billing keeping track of the now many online only payments we make each month. Having to go to a web site, login then wade through annoying screens just to find out or even notice if you're there for some other reason, somewhere that, oh yes, my tariff is ending or ended and I need to change it.

 

There's also the technical aspect too where if you're not using the right browser and the latest version of it you suddenly find a page that displayed OK last month is now inaccessible.  Site 'upgrades' are the bane of online bill management.

 

One of the reasons in the past I dumped a well known UK power utilities provider was because of such problems. They refused to address the matter and lost my custom as a consequence. Their less than competitive tariffs were, of course, a significant factor too.

 

Its the the whole 'customer care' attitude I look for and if its not up to the mark we're able to swap providers of any online service literally with a few mouse clicks. That's the consumer power we all have now.

 

I want to be able to trust a provider of any service that I'm signed up for to have my best interests in mind and not regularly be checking up that I'm not paying more than I should be for that service.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

@Cluster-Lizard, there's not necessarily a corollary between speeds offered and the price you pay.

 

For example, the out of contract fee for the slowest product, Fast Broadband, is quite a bit higher than for Fibre 35 or Fibre 65.

 

None of the packages automatically comes with calls included  - that's done offer by offer, or on a case by case basis when you ring up to renew.

 

Regarding contract end dates:

 

Looking back at my own billing notification, my December email said:

 

20210420_082407.jpg

The next bill spelt it out as my contract ended half way through the billing period:

 

20210420_081901.jpg

I really couldn't fault them on the reminders, even though I was furious when the renewal they then sold me as "fixed" turned out only to be "fixed" for a couple of months ......... that's another issue!

 

Each notice they send when your contract end is pending says "you can find a full breakdown of all costs on your bill" and then directs you to view your bill.

 

I don't think there's much more that you can expect them to do for you and customers just have to read their notifications properly. I always note in my diary when the contract is due to expire as soon as I take it out. We do have to take a bit of responsibility ourselves for keeping track. 

 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

@Cluster-Lizard wrote:

 

How difficult would it be to simply email a customer that their existing tariff is ending

It works both ways really.

How difficult is it to read the bill they produce every month which details the discounts you are getting and the date they end?

 

 

 


@Cluster-Lizard wrote:

.

A customer shouldn't have to keep a regular eye on their account


But officer, the car didn't give me a warning that I had gone over the speed limit. I shouldn't have to keep a regular eye on the speedometer should I?

 

 

 


@Cluster-Lizard wrote:

 

As  said I was swapped to fibre in March because of the lousy speed I had been getting for several months with no solution or explanation provided either.

 I don't recall you giving any of that explanation. Your initial post only stated "Last month I was swapped for 'free' to fibre". I assumed it was just part of their push to get people off ADSL.

 

0 Likes

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 16

If you are not made aware that your existing tariff has ended and you've been put on the more expensive and disingenously called 'standard' tariff that is questionable practice.

 

There's long been calls in the UK for consumer legislation, particularly in relation to essential utilities, with the aim to stop such behaviour.  It can sometimes mean you're paying considerably more for a lesser service and you've not been made aware of it.

 

How difficult would it be to simply email a customer that their existing tariff is ending and they should set up a new contract. The reason they don't is because it is a good way of making money from a customer at the end of a contract.

 

A customer shouldn't have to keep a regular eye on their account or have an elephant like memory to remember when a two year tariff is ending. They should be able to trust a provider of any service to tell them that directly.

 

The customer reciprocates rewarding the provider with their loyalty and appreciation that they're not just seen as cash cows to exploit. Consequently they're more likely to recommend the provider to other potential customers.

 

As  said I was swapped to fibre in March because of the lousy speed I had been getting for several months with no solution or explanation provided either.  At no point during that time when I complained about the speed was the fact my existing contract had expired in November mentioned and I was actually paying 50% more than people on 35+Mbs fibre for a speed of often <2Mbs.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

I don't see anything disingenuous about any of that to be honest. They upgraded your service at no extra cost and your contract remained unchanged. If you want to renew for a better deal now that is your prerogative.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

@Cluster-Lizard wrote:

It does look as though, very disingenously, rather than start a new contract they've gone with the existing or rather non-existing contract which I did not realise had ended in November last year.

Have you checked your previous bills?

You should be able to expand that details and see what discount you were getting on the package and when the discount was due to end (usually the same as the contract end). If your contract had ended in November you should have seen that on your bills.

 

As for the free upgrade to Fibre, they probably didn't automatically start a new contract because I'm guessing there will be laws preventing them from entering you into a new contract without your express consent. I think many people would be upset to receive a free upgrade which also tied them into a new contract period.

 

 

 


@Cluster-Lizard wrote:

It feels a bit off to upgrade me to Fibre 35 and not tell me for the same price as my out of contract tariff I could be getting the Fibre 65 benefits which apparently do include unlimited calls:-

 


The only difference between the basic Fibre35 and Fibre 65 packages is that Fibre35 is limited to 40Mbps/10Mbps download/upload. Fibre65 provides a maximum of 80Mbps/20Mbps down/up. All dependent on your line's capabilities of course.

 

Neither of them have any calls allowance included.

 

The screenshot you posted for the Fibre65 offer was a renewal "Bundle" offer for Fibre65 plus the anytime calls boost for the all-in price of £29.95.

 

If you do want to renew I would suggest you could negotiate a better deal by phoning the loyalty team on 0345 172 0046 or via live chat here: Our update on Coronavirus - TalkTalk Help & Support (that page also includes the current phone and chat support opening hours)

If phoning, say "loyalty team" when asked why you are calling to get you straight through to the correct department.

 

(some of us have managed to get Fibre65 for as low as £20 plus anytime calls boost free)

 

Also, if you haven't done so already, you could check your address here BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)  to get an idea of the predicted speed for your line.

 

 

 


@Cluster-Lizard wrote:

 

But it does indeed appear I have to 'renew' my contract. It would have been helpful to have been told that at some point before now.    


You don't have to renew your contract. It's entirely your choice if you want want to tie yourself into a new contract period for a cheaper price or pay full price for the sake of having a rolling monthly service allowing you to leave without penalties if you choose.

 

You do need to keep track of your contract though - They generally won't send reminders that your contract is ending.

0 Likes

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Message 14 of 16

Thanks for the quick reply.

 

I had difficulty yesterday finding out what package I had been put on after the fibre upgrade last month but today I've managed to find the information. It does look as though, very disingenously, rather than start a new contract they've gone with the existing or rather non-existing contract which I did not realise had ended in November last year.

 

Current Contract.png

 

Why had I not been told this either at the time or after the fibre upgrade? It feels a bit off to upgrade me to Fibre 35 and not tell me for the same price as my out of contract tariff I could be getting the Fibre 65 benefits which apparently do include unlimited calls:-

 

Fibre 65a.png  Fibre 65b.png

 

The Fibre 35 package for 18 months is currently:-

 

Fibre35.png

 

However, as said, you can add an unlimited calls 'Boost' to that, currently on special half-price offer: £7/month bringing the total to £29.

 

I'd go for the 24 month Fibre 65 offer at the same price although I'd have no interest in the Amazon extras. Also I think my line, which I assume is FTC, would not be suitable for 65Mbs speeds. My point about the Fibre 35 package value still holds true though: unless I've misunderstood something it is effectively the same price as Fibre 65 for a lesser service.

 

But it does indeed appear I have to 'renew' my contract. It would have been helpful to have been told that at some point before now.    

0 Likes

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 15 of 16

Are you sure you started a new contract period when they upgraded you to Fibre?

I would have thought that if it was a free upgrade then your contract period would remain unchanged. Is it possible your contract period was due to end anyway and has now ended meaning you have been moved to the standard out of contract full price for whatever package you are on?

Have you looked in MyAccount to see your package details to see what package you are listed as being on and what the contract end date is? (there may not be a contract end date listed if you are out of contract)

Have you looked at your most recent and previous bills (should all be itemised, expand all the details) to see what package you were previously on and are now an and what price you were paying, what discounts you had and when they were due to end etc?

 

There are no inclusive calls in either Fibre35 or Fibre65.