cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

B

Today18
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 41 of 41

All of a sudden my broadband download speed has virtually stopped. Spoke to technical checked said up to router fine suggested pay for engineer £75 to come in or look at upgrade package to increase speeds. I have been with TalkTalk for some 20 years plus and I’m little confused as my speeds have been up to now so I either have a problem or I need to upgrade, bit of a difference. Sounds like they have throttled my speed to get me to up my package. Any thoughts

0 Likes
40 REPLIES 40

Message 1 of 41

That's great news, thanks for the update. Just let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 41

Ive run the above tests and I’m getting 45/46Mbps as expected where with old router they were very low most times. Since having new router speed seems to be more stable. The ps5 gaming haven’t complained about speed since, so I can only conclude that router was cause of problem, although I want to give more time to monitor.

regards

0 Likes

Message 3 of 41

They test to whichever device you run them from.  Your sync speed is best determined via the router interface itself.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 41

Do they test to device or to router?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 41

Have you tried speed tests via other routes?

E.G.

https://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

https://speedtest.samknows.com/

https://fast.com/#

0 Likes

Message 6 of 41

Does ran another test. Speed to device worked this time but still does not show the speeds to my devices, just experiencing speed problems. Note when I first ran a speed test I used the old speed checkup up on talktalk web which reported speed to my device, but after talktalk updated speed checker I cannot see the speed to device,

0 Likes

Message 7 of 41

Not sure whether can see attachment

0 Likes

Message 8 of 41

Well I’m totally confused. Just ran speed test. Bear in mind I’m checking from my iPad, also ps5, Amazon echo, hive and tv are connected to router, I had the results as attached. Thus saying there are no devices attached to router which is not the case as I have ran test from iPad. I will run new test. 

TalkTalk - Service Status 16.pngTalkTalk - Service Status 15.png
0 Likes

Message 9 of 41

Hi Today18

The line is showing in sync at just under 50mb.

Please can you try running the My Connection test again today?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 41
0 Likes

Message 11 of 41

Yeah. Reset wait to Friday

Cheers

Message 12 of 41

Hi Today18

Ok, please can you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds?

Then can you connect the router for 48hrs, without rebooting or running any speed tests just whilst DLM monitors the connection.

I will then check in again with you on Friday afternoon.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 41

When I used the old router this displayed the speed to my router and to my iPad. See attached old method prior to new router. The device speed was to my iPad

IMG_1728.png
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 41

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

There may be a problem if all the customer has is an iPad as there are no wifi analysers available for iPads or iPhones as far as I know. The customer has said that they do not have a PC or laptop, which would leave Android phones as the only method to measure WiFi interference. Beyond that, the only help I could offer is down to router location etc.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 41

Hi Today18,

It just allows you to manually set a wifi channel without wifi optimisation changing it to another channel. We can enable it again if required

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 41

What is the impact of switching this off as it is new to me.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 41

Hi @Today18 

Are you happy for me to switch WIFI optimisation off so Keith can help with the wireless issue?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 41

Is WiFi Optimisation enabled @Debbie-TalkTalk? If it is, please can you ask the customer if it would be OK for you to disable it?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 19 of 41
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 41

Hi @Today18 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you have been using since your HG633 was replaced?

Keith