cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Broadband speed less than half what it should be

Berkoboy
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 14

I appear to be having major broadband speed problems. Although the problem started as dozens of line drop outs . I expect a handful of dropouts every day but when its in the dozens I take issue. So I decided to check connection health and speed - intermittent sync issues and speed around 34mbps rather than the 59 promised as Fibre 65. 

I have raised a ticket with TalkTalk and we have gone over and over the same old routine - router on/off , cable checks , direct connection with microfilter, Openreach call out - yet speed is still half what it should be . 

Unfortunately I haven't been checking speed that often ( I will from here on ! )  - but I would guess this has gone on for months - so I am pretty annoyed I am not getting what I paid for . My local telephone exchange is Berkhamsted . Where do I go from here ?

PS To add - I am not using Wi-fi but a TP-link via the power supply and yes we have tried replacing that with a direct ethernet connection PC to router - No difference .

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi

Glad to hear that Openreach have found and resolved the fault for you.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Berkoboy
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 14

Hi Debbie and others , Openreach appear to have fixed the fault. The engineer pointed to a couple of loose connections - one outside in  the underground junction box and the other where I had the line rerouted and extended around the outside of the house over 5 years ago . TalkTalk speed check shows over 65Mbps. Which Is what I was seeing several months ago . My house is  close to the BT Green cabinet. Oddly a 3rd party checker ( broadbandspeedchecker dot co dot uk ) gives speed to my device as 60 but to the router as nearer 30 - this seems wrong so I won't use this in future. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi Berkoboy

Apologies, just checked again and I can see this appointment arranged with Openreach.

We haven't reduced the speed, this appears to be related to a fault.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi , Openreach are due to visit tomorrow (11th) . Speed today is just under 29Mbps . Are TalkTalk sure  they have not accidentally recoded my account as a lower speed option ?  Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi @Berkoboy 

It looks as though we need to arrange an appointment to the property. When would you be available AM and PM?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 14

Hi Berkoboy

The engineer hasn't updated the notes as yet. Has the engineer made contact with you today?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi Berkoboy

The fault has been updated this morning to say that the fault is with the engineer now, we should hopefully have further updates later this afternoon.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Berkoboy

This fault is still with the Openreach line engineers, there are no additional updates at the moment.

I will continue to monitor this.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi @Berkoboy the magnificent @Debbie-TalkTalk is on the case for you now so I would follow her lead at she will get things back to normal for you. Please don't waste your time with my phone line suggestion. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Message 10 of 14

HI @Berkoboy 

This fault has already been raised over to Openreach to be investigated by a line engineer.

I will let you know as soon as they provide further updates.

Thanks

0 Likes

Berkoboy
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 14

Thanks for the interest . I don't use a landline phone , I do have the old handset knocking around however . So I could test it . 

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

Hi @Berkoboy is your landline phone connection good?

The team here will be able to help you, your post has been escalated. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi Berkoboy

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see that this fault has been passed to Openreach and is under investigation with the line engineers.

I will continue to monitor for updates and I will post back on this thread as soon as I have further information.

Thanks

0 Likes