cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Cannot access home network from internet

midders
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 33 of 33

Hi there

My router died recently and was replaced by a talktalk engineer with a Sagemcom Fast 5364.

- I have recreated the port-forwarding rules that I had on the old router, but cannot get anything through the router from the wider internet

- DMZ on the router doesn't work at all (invalid ip address) no matter what I try

- if I enable respond to ping in the firewall, I can ping the router successfully using my no-ip hostname

- the services I am trying to access are all working fine inside the home network

- I have tried disabling all firewalls on both server and router as well as VPN services

After spending over an hour on a support chat this morning with zero progress, I am out of ideas, other than a faulty router and talktalk won' replace it because the broadband connection is working.

Any ideas?

Slainte

midders

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi midders

Just checking, did you retest again yesterday?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 33

Hi midders

Please can you now retest?

If you are still experiencing the issue then can you please factory reset the router and then retest again?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 33
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 33

Hi Karl,

I can only test with V4.00 hardware as that is all I have at my disposal. However, the only hardware version-related bugs I have found are related to "invalid IP address" error messages. I have asked @midders to consider using Wireshark with my help, this would categorically prove if the port forwarding is working or not. However, I really doubt that it would not work, as he also tried putting his server in the DMZ and it didn't work there either.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

Hi midders

Our Devices Team will need to make a change to your router firmware to see if this resolves the issue.

I will post back to confirm once this has been completed. Please can you keep the router powered up.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 33

Hi

this is 3.00

Karl

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 33

Thanks @Karl-TalkTalk I thought that it would be. In that case, there are no problems whatsoever in forwarding these ports via the router/firmware combination, unless there is a weird hardware-related issue, which if so, I have never seen. Can you tell me the hardware revision remotely?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 33

Hi Keith,

Firmware is V174, as all sagemcoms should be now 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 33

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

What firmware is on the 5364 of @midders? I have proved that the 5364 V174 forwards these ports perfectly.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 33

Hi @midders 

If it was the router, then changing it for another as you did, surely is a good indication that it is not the router, unless it has had a firmware update recently.

I have also tested all of these ports using the same router & firmware version as you, on both Windows & Linux PCs and they work perfectly. If your server is the VPN client, then port forwarding has no effect & the IP address allocated to it, comes from the DHCP address pool that the VPN server allocates from, once the connection is established.

The next step is to prove beyond any doubt what the problem is, by taking a Wireshark trace on your server. I can analyse this for you. If you are unfamiliar with using Wireshark, I can send you a guide on doing that.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 33

Hi midders

I've asked our Devices Team to take a look at this and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Thanks for the offer, but having tried two new routers with exactly the same results, I think that the problem is a bug in the firmware; is there a more recent version that I can upgrade to, or is it possible to go back to an older version of the firmware?

I've nearly finished configuring my Draytek router (got a new motorbike, so been testing it out), will post back shortly.

Slàinte

midders

0 Likes

Message 13 of 33

Hi midders

Would you like me to send another router for testing so we can rule out a fault with the router you've received?

0 Likes

midders
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 33

The server is a VPN client, ufw is setup for all the required ports. As I mentioned before EVERYTHING WAS WORKING FINE before the router died.

Since the only thing that has changed is the router, that has to be at fault.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 33

Hi @midders 

I have just tried all ports in Linux Mint having first added them to the GUI version of ufw and they work fine.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 33

Whilst I cannot exactly replicate your setup, I will also test this on a Linux Mint installation that I have tomorrow.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 33

You will need to add rules for the ports in ufw. With the VPN is the Ubuntu the VPN server? Assuming it is, then the Ubuntu should not allocate the same IP address to different NICs. There is nothing that TalkTalk can change behind the scenes to affect this.

My first action would to rectify why the server is allocating the IP address wrongly.

Keith

midders
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 18 of 33

Thanks for your efforts, my server is running Ubuntu 22 LTS, has dual NICs (...94, and ...104) one setup for VPN and the other without for remote access. I'm running ufw firewall and surfshark VPN but have tried disabling both to get remote access working.

It was all working perfectly before the router died, and the only thing that has changed is the router... or are there other settings that talktalk can tweak behind the scenes?

The router doesn't recognize the dual NICs correctly, giving them both the same IP, but the old one did the same thing and still worked. The server shows the correct IPs.

I played around with the Draytek router last night and am about ready to test it. Fingers crossed.

Slàinte

Mark

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 33

Hi @midders 

These are the port forwarding rules I set up:-

My PF rulesMy PF rules

From here I tested both TCP & UDP port 53665, whilst opening port 22 as either TCP or UDP and they worked the first time. I have only shown the results for the TCP test, as I use my own testing application for UDP:-

TCP port 53665 resultTCP port 53665 result

Then I tested TCP port 57518 and that was fine as well:-

TCP port 57518 resultTCP port 57518 result

Please can you respond to my questions concerning your server, when you get a chance?

Thanks.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 33

Hi @midders 

I would strongly recommend that you disable UPnP as it is very insecure.

There is nothing else wrong with the PF rules. Please ensure that the device is not in the DMZ any more and set the firewall back to medium. I will double check that these ports forward OK this afternoon.

Tell me more about this server. What OS is it, does it have a firewall and how are you testing this?

Keith

0 Likes